My 10th Royal Flush...

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing online for about 5 years and have hit a royal about 4 times. One was even at a jackpot table, but there were no contenders for the bad beat...sigh. The odds of hitting one are 649,740 to 1 so I'm sure the reason we see them with a fair amount of frequency online is the huge number of hands dealt on a daily basis. I'm always sort of bummed that all we win is the pot--I think there at least oughta to be some kind of bonus.

In contrast, they are exceeding rare playing live and many rooms offer a very nice reward, even if they don’t advertise it. Just before Christmas two years ago I hit one on a local riverboat and I still remember the details like it was yesterday.

I had bought in for $200 at a 2-4 limit table and after about 3 hours was up to $350 or so. The play was not crazy loose or extremely tight--just good, solid poker. I was getting tired but decided to play one last hand. Under the gun, I looked down at QK of hearts. I decided that if I was going to play these cards, iffy at best in my position, I better raise. So I did. Narrowed the field, which is tough sometimes in low stakes limit, to 5 players.

The flop came Jack of hearts, 10 of hearts, and King of spades. I raised. The player next to me re-raised. 1 other person called; the blinds folded. The turn was another 10, this time spades. Though I put the guy on my left on a pair of Kings, I bet out. He raised again. The 2 remaining players folded. I called his raise. At this point I knew he had Kings full of tens and that if I had half a brain I should fold but I couldn’t—I was a long shot for a straight flush if a nine of hearts hit on the river or an even longer shot for the royal.

Here came the river and, yes, the Ace of hearts hit. I bet. He raised. I call. Sure enough, he turned over his KK. I turned over my QK hearts, smiled and said, “I think I gotcha.” There was a collective gasp around the table and I was surprisingly calm. The dealer shouted “Don’t touch those cards” and called for the floor. After she verified the hands she gave me some paper work to fill out and I asked why. She said, “Honey, you just won a thousand dollars.” I almost fell off my chair because I had no idea there was a prize!!! That was a very, very good night…

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10th, wow. And I thought I was lucky with 5. Just folded what WOULD have been a royal about a week ago. I saved the hand just to torture myself. Luckily, I could my 5th (I think) a couple days later (below).

Great win, LarkMarlow. That would be a decent night indeed.

Attachments

• royal at FT O8.jpg
    royal at FT O8.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 6
Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice...seems like whenever I hit a royal (or straight flush), I rarely make any money off of them. Last time I made a straight flush playing live, on the turn, everyone folded to my min. bet....(.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VN! I haven't kept track of how many I've had, I know I've had about 6 of them this year which I know is the highest amount I've ever had in 1 year.

Anyways, Gratz!

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im pretty sure ive only had 1 royal flush in the year that ive been apart of online poker....i cant imagine 10

mets40

mets40

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first year playing I had two or three, but it's streaky thing, haven't had one for a long time now.

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The probability of making a royal flush is 1 in 2,598,960. How many hands did you play online (approximately)?

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The probability of making a royal flush is 1 in 2,598,960. How many hands did you play online (approximately)?

Grindit9 the number 2,598,960 is the total number of hand calculations that can be dealt.
Actual odds for hittting a royal is 1 in 649,740

I have around 300,000 plus hand on various poker trackers, only had for a couple of years
probably 3 times that before PT
probably 3/4 times that on non PT sites

It's a guess

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then you have played A LOT of hands :), but it is possible. Ive seen guys play 24 tables six max so there is not a lot that surprises me.

Full Flush Poker