Would you call or fold this hand?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im in SB with 10 Qo, 6 at the table. Cut off i am feeling is a maniac and possibly on tilt. I have only just joined the table though.
I call his preflop bet and go heads up.
Flop is Q 3 10, i raise half the pot and he re raises to 2.5X. I only call as i feel he may continue to bluff.
Turn is a K, i check and he bets half, i call.
River is a J and he bets the full pot.
I end up folding however i am confused as to what he had as he re raised me on the flop, only pocket 3s was realistically beating me as i block QQ and 10 10 to some level.
Do you think i played this hand all wrong?
My cards are Q 10
Community cards are Q 3 10 K J, no flush possible.
I folded as im losing to any ace or 9 and possibly pocket 3s.
To end on a high 2 hands later he went all in a Q 5 5 board when i had KQ and won 100BB in a cash game :) he showed a J 6 haha. I called because at this point it was clear he was on major tilt.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What were the preflop bet sizes? Those are important for the answers that you seek. In addition to your thoughts, AK and KQ would make sense if it was not just air bluffing.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all even vs maniac it's hard to call it preflop. You are oop, maniac will bet almost everything and it would be hard to realize your equity.

as played it's a check/raise flop and jam vs his 3bet. Just make your spots easier oop vs a recreational player.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have still continued betting (ie. raising) the pot rather than just calling it down, you could have 3 bet the flop even gone all in imo.

Folding on the river seems like a good decision, many maniacs do go crazy with ace high.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were the preflop bet sizes? Those are important for the answers that you seek. In addition to your thoughts, AK and KQ would make sense if it was not just air bluffing.
I think he raised 3.5X pre flop

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should have still continued betting (ie. raising) the pot rather than just calling it down, you could have 3 bet the flop even gone all in imo.

Folding on the river seems like a good decision, many maniacs do go crazy with ace high.
yeah i feel like i should have bet the turn but the river being a J i just felt gave him the straight, any other card and i probably would have called.
Here on the turn and river his bet sizes were normal so that led me to think he had a good hand.
As shown he shoved with J 6 on a Q 5 5 board which is crazy, the pot was only 7 BB

odranorkan

odranorkan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you always have to see the circumstances before you think about calling or folding, as he was in major tilt, I would call too.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im in SB with 10 Qo, 6 at the table. Cut off i am feeling is a maniac and possibly on tilt. I have only just joined the table though.
Flop is Q 3 10, i raise half the pot and he re raises to 2.5X. I only call as i feel he may continue to bluff.
I end up folding however i am confused as to what he had as he re raised me on the flop, only pocket 3s was realistically beating me as i block QQ and 10 10 to some level.
My cards are Q 10
To end on a high 2 hands later he went all in a Q 5 5 board when i had KQ and won 100BB in a cash game :) he showed a J 6 haha. I called because at this point it was clear he was on major tilt.

In my opinion he was holding AQ, It makes sense with the way he was playing.
Raising 3.5 pre-flop, that is normal
Re-raise 2.5X post flop as he had top pair and top kicker.
Betting half after turn since you checked and he was in position.
And betting full pot after river was exposed. Going full pot with a set is never a good idea with the board showing K,Q,J,10. If he had 33 or KK then he would had preferred to showdown.
Under these circumstances i think you made the right decision.

Last edited:
pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Q10 on that flop would have seen me raise big on him - rather than just remain in the hand, i may have also considered a jam, i agree with previous post that he may have had AQ, i feel confident that you would have been ahead, he may even hold AK...

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've checked the flop and then raise big when he bet , possibly all-in depending on pot size and chip stack . You flopped top 2 pr. , that's a strong hand against a maniac .

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would have pushed to his raise on flop.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would jam on the flop! no questions asked, Ace rag is my best guess he had , wouldn't take any chances raising small with a flopped 2 pair .

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's representing TT+ and Ace and most suited connecters preflop. When he reraises he condenses he range to AA, KK, AK, 33 or AQ for value hand the rest are bluffs. when he reraises you should be 3 betting if you think he could be weak. Once the turn comes it's much better for his range and when the river hits your only beating air. You missed the 3 bet on the flop the rest of the hand was played well

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you could 4 bet on flop end then see where you are are chek end call preflop reiser i dont understen way did you lead with bet ?

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q10 off

And the guy was maniac is hard to know but once opened all the cards was bad to continue betting

But I think I finished my action with that paying on the flop as it is manic he would not drop to lower bets

Just what do differently but its fold found right on the river

:jd4:mateuspoker

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you could 4 bet on flop end then see where you are are chek end call preflop reiser i dont understen way did you lead with bet ?
I was expecting him to bet into me on the turn which he did, i was planning on calling almost any turn card but the J river wasnt a kind one

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well frist, I have totally taken 1/2 size bets out of my game.... you cant gather any info with them because of pot odds, and they do nothing but build a pot that you cant always win.... and if you are way ahead you are better off betting 1/3 to give them more then enough odds to catch up by calling or going over the top thinking you are week.....

Now with that said, in this hand I would have probably bet 2/3 pot on the flop, he if raised, the fact I dont have a draw, and this board being very draw heavy to Broadway cards.... I would have probably 3bet the flop trying to get it in.... if they were tilting like you thought, you have no reason to be scared to get it in here.... or to worry about a fold if they are spewing chips.... if your assumption is correct they are gonna call you with middle pair, or a draw.... if you lost to the draw, you lose to the draw....

Hes gonna call you down with a draw regardless, you might as well try and get them off the hand while your still ahead, even if it means risking your entire stack....

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What makes the most sense to me that I haven't seen mentioned is:

He's was steaming more than likely since he's shoving as he did two hands later so he could have anything but my guess would be he had a hand like. K/J or even J/9 and flopped open ender and was betting on the come? Then when the king falls on turn he's hit top pair or completed his draw the jack was either a money saver for you or it gave him two pair?

I would guess you were beat one way or another so don't get too down on it. Folding is correct IMHO. Good thread by the way.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My cards are Q 10
Good fold
He has an ace. Count on it.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would raise in the turn 80% of the pot.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You acted wisely, because he could have an ace or a 9 and make a big win. As you wright you were rewarded later with the same opponent!

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding. As you are behind many holdings. Even maniacs hit hands. Good fold. Better off finding a better spot.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold. Sometimes is hard but necessary.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You did the right fold on the river. But then you had to give up on the turn. And the best option, I think, on the flop was to reraise and fold to his reraise, if you call your reraise on the flop, put allin on the turn.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My cards are Q 10

I'm not too much of a fan of the flop donk, but his raise there looks like he's repping {J9, KJ, AQ, TT, QQ, KK, AA} and bluffs. On the turn, he could bet some of his Ax hands, but most players would pot control hands like AQ, AA, AK, etc. In my opinion, he has an Ax hand, and got lucky with the river.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker