Why you lose with AA.

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
joshyb20 said:
On a related note, mine just got busted.... Didn't want to chance it. Rose 1200 of my 4k, got reraised all in by the chip leader, he turned KK and hit a set. Oh well. Pissed me off needless to say, but that's poker for you.
True. i always feel so bad when there's an all-in AA against KK and the AA wins. I mean...2 outs...Haha. But i guess the whole 'outs' thing DOES mean that they CAN beat you. ;)

Sorry Diablo, no hard feelings.

Jon

lightning36

lightning36

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in a micro NL Hold Em room at Noble this morning. Got pocket rockets and raised 4x the BB. Got reraised by someone (which chased everyone else out), so I went all in. Tada ... doubled up

Didn't do much else since I had poor cards and not much time, but I did see some extremely poor playing. One person won $128 on one hand, which I thought was pretty high for a .25/.50 game ...

W

WraithPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All the tears...your aces got cracked. 60K hands tell me I win with them 80% of the time (give take .5%). The absolutely most profitable hand in Texas Hold'em poker.

Doyle said "slow play aces - go to hell"

Yes they will get cracked...learn from it...play the player not the cards...putting your opponent on cards (what his hand is) is the key.

Poker is gambling (duh)

Raking a pot is raking a pot, big small or just the blinds

Have you ever folded AA - to me that is the true test - are you able to get out when you know your aces are beat.

You may have a different % win rate with your aces then myself. Your style will dictate a varience.

E

EnlightenUp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats only halfway true.

Why people lose with aces is because they get married to them easily. If you are an excellent player, you can make money by slowplaying aces and allowing multiple opponents into a pot. But a player of lesser skill level will find it very difficult to make money with aces if there are more than one opponent(s) against him in the pot when he has aces, because he will be unable to fold them when an excellent player will realize he's beat.

until you are able to make big laydowns, raise with the aces every time.

M

mrX76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in online poker never slow play the AA,that i have learned and if someone raises big preflop just throw the AA hand or any other hand if u are short of money.lots of drawing sets on low pairs

W

WraithPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly Enlighten

Know when to make the big laydown. I call it semi/tilt...some call it marrying your cards....it is all the same....preflop strength does not mean post flop success...just an advantage

Your perceived strength (opponents) will either aid or weaken your Aces. PLay like a telemarketer and you will get treated like one. You hopefully play to take advantage of weak players and their poor decision making. Having the advantage does not always mean taking the pot. It does mean that over time you will be more sucessfull. A higher success rate equals more bb per hour profit.

biLuTa

biLuTa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems for me that i`m loosing in the few days with AA.This pair it`s kncking me out every time i see it.If i don`t go all in before the flop i lose the hand.But when i go all in before the flop the other guy is making flush or str8
The best pair for me is KK:aetsch:

M

MercilessKiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JonSherwood said:
I've been telling people this for a while in all their posts where they complain, but it seems to me no one seems to listen and there still continues to be a new post everyday about how aces never win.

Well they do.

I get a daily newsletter and today it was talking about what you can do to win with aces most of the time. (Nothing is every certain in poker, don't expect to win every time.)

I felt I'd enlighten you all with a little tidbit of the article.

Roy Rounder is what he goes by, and his articles have helped my game tremendously. When I saw this I knew I had to post it instead of constantly telling people the exact same thing.

Jon
I disagree...

I am always aggressive with pocket pairs including aces, but let me give last night as an example of why this doesnt apply.

In a pot limit game, I got raised the pot. I re raised all in for 200 Quid... on this one hand with AA. I got called with KQ off suit.

The flop? KK7.

200 quid gone in one hand when i had AA pre flop, he had KQ, and I pushed all in.

Was nearly sick :(

bigjace

bigjace

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A wise man once said..."you gotta know when to hold em,know when to fold em,know when to walk away,know when to run...etc.
Basically AA can be beaten,even by complete crap(8/2off anyone)but it shouldn't be beaten often.Maximise the times you win and don't be afraid to throw them away after a lousy flop.
can we stop these AA threads on the grounds of boredom?

M

MercilessKiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I lost the 200 quid on that one hand with aces, I can quite 100% perfectly say i have lost a LOT more with aces than i've won.. and thats pushing hard with them....

Its just damn stressful! In tournament play it can double ur stack but mean nothing if u get knocked out.. and one hand in a cash game it can take u for 200 quid! grerr

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not so sure what you mean by quid...Maybe I'm an idiot or it's just too early in the morning. Is it a currency? And are you talking about ring games?

I would suggest NEVER going all-in in a ring game preflop. Even someone raises you all-in and you have AA, it'd be hard to call. Anything can happen on the flop, and if your opponent hits it's tough luck for you if you're all-in. However, if you simply raised 5x or so and the flop came down with some like KK7, you might be able to tell if your opponent hit and then throw it away.

Tournaments are ok for the reraise or call all-in when you have AA because if you do happen to lose, all your losing is your measley little buy-in. If you want to win you're going to have to try and win a big pot everytime you grab AA. This usually works out for the better I think, because even if you lose you don't lose much, and in the long run it'll be more of a winning strategy. Why? If you make it to the final table or even close, a lot of times you're going to be multiplying the money you made by a lot. It's worth taking risks to get there.

Once again though, I would NEVER advise going all-in preflop in a ring game with ANYTHING. (When you've bought in the full amount)

Jon

EnlightenUp said:
Thats only halfway true.

Why people lose with aces is because they get married to them easily. If you are an excellent player, you can make money by slowplaying aces and allowing multiple opponents into a pot. But a player of lesser skill level will find it very difficult to make money with aces if there are more than one opponent(s) against him in the pot when he has aces, because he will be unable to fold them when an excellent player will realize he's beat.

until you are able to make big laydowns, raise with the aces every time.
Wish I would've seen this post earlier. You make a GREAT point. I know that when I started, I'd go to the river every time with AA. As a beginning poker player, most people will not have the willpower or discipline needed to lay down their aces, even when they know they're beat. With a hand like that, a beginning player wants to KNOW he's beat before he lays it down, which often ends up in him never laying it down. Curiosity: It's human nature.

EnlightenUp has made another very valid point. Don't get married to your aces. Don't be afraid to lay them down when you decide to enter a pot with 1 or 2 other people instead of instigating a race.

Thanks EnlightenUp.

Jon

Last edited:
M

MercilessKiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JonSherwood said:
I'm not so sure what you mean by quid...Maybe I'm an idiot or it's just too early in the morning. Is it a currency? And are you talking about ring games?

I would suggest NEVER going all-in in a ring game preflop. Even someone raises you all-in and you have AA, it'd be hard to call. Anything can happen on the flop, and if your opponent hits it's tough luck for you if you're all-in. However, if you simply raised 5x or so and the flop came down with some like KK7, you might be able to tell if your opponent hit and then throw it away.

Tournaments are ok for the reraise or call all-in when you have AA because if you do happen to lose, all your losing is your measley little buy-in. If you want to win you're going to have to try and win a big pot everytime you grab AA. This usually works out for the better I think, because even if you lose you don't lose much, and in the long run it'll be more of a winning strategy. Why? If you make it to the final table or even close, a lot of times you're going to be multiplying the money you made by a lot. It's worth taking risks to get there.

Once again though, I would NEVER advise going all-in preflop in a ring game with ANYTHING. (When you've bought in the full amount)

Jon

Wish I would've seen this post earlier. You make a GREAT point. I know that when I started, I'd go to the river every time with AA. As a beginning poker player, most people will not have the willpower or discipline needed to lay down their aces, even when they know they're beat. With a hand like that, a beginning player wants to KNOW he's beat before he lays it down, which often ends up in him never laying it down. Curiosity: It's human nature.

EnlightenUp has made another very valid point. Don't get married to your aces. Don't be afraid to lay them down when you decide to enter a pot with 1 or 2 other people instead of instigating a race.

Thanks EnlightenUp.

Jon
Quid meaning Great British Pound.

I.e the 200 i lost was approx $400.

It was pot limit. I raised pot (small), someone re raised pot... I re raised pot (and all in) over the top and was called with KQ :/

What was i meant to do? Call and see KK7.. would have been same situation!

K

khanh05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When your in early position is goood to slow play them, avoid given them free cards.
Its all depend on how you play your pokcet Aces.. I think
With the loose call table should not slow play and make them pay to see the flop because more likely your gonna have a maniac in your table.... amen :D
Hope this help !!!!

TDeuce

TDeuce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i hate AA, I bet big preflop and try to survive the hand - because way too many things beat you and your mind is clouded by the aces....I get what i can and get out because usually if that makes it to the river, i'm losing anything anyway

KillerKat

KillerKat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wholeheartedly agree with agressive play when holding pocket aces.

When i started out playing, two many times have i been stung with this hand.

Thinking to myself "wow best hand possible before the flop, better keep quite with this, draw them in" . Boy did i get stung badly.

Absolutely agressive but not over the top...

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t4510)
MP1 (t4570)
MP2 (t1050)
MP3 (t4445)
CO (t5000)
Button (t2445)
Hero (t1300)
BB (t4302)
UTG (t1655)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Ac, As.
UTG calls t50, 3 folds, MP3 calls t50, 2 folds, Hero raises to t200, BB raises to t4302, UTG calls t1605 (All-In), MP3 folds, Hero calls t1100 (All-In).

Flop: (t7307) Kd, 3d, Qh (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t7307) 8s (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t7307) Ts (3 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: t7307

Results below:
Hero has Ac As (one pair, aces).
BB has 9s 9c (one pair, nines).
UTG has Th Td (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: UTG wins t4660.

Just venting.

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JonShewood so glad you put this on here! Wasn't for sure if I should check or limp in and take all I can ,and get beat with 2 pair or play aggresive you settled that one. Thanks for the good advise!