Why do I rarely get paid but seem to pay others too often?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hey forum,

I'm not a regular cash game player but sometimes a poker site has a challenge which includes playing some cash game hands and I sometimes try my luck in this case.

But overall, it's a minus for me.

Whenever I hit something big, I rarely get piaid but the bad beats or suckouts seem to be numerous.

This morning I got paid once with top set vs. medium set but the other sets I hit, I rarely collected some chips.

When I flop a decent hand, they often fold to my cbets.

This afternoon, I flopped the nuts several times and played it a bit more passive. Only to get sucked out as a result. 🤣

Any tips for a cash game beginner? 🤔😅

I'm far from a balanced player but when I try to have a decent 3-bet range, I get called too often and miss the flop. Now I 3-bet fewer times but this way not winning many big pots. 😪

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
You should study and have a good understanding what positive and negative expected value is when you are in a hand. Just some study time and keep getting experience you will get better.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey forum,

I'm not a regular cash game player but sometimes a poker site has a challenge which includes playing some cash game hands and I sometimes try my luck in this case.

Whenever I hit something big, I rarely get piaid but the bad beats or suckouts seem to be numerous.

This morning I got paid once with top set vs. medium set but the other sets I hit, I rarely collected some chips.

This afternoon, I flopped the nuts several times and played it a bit more passive. Only to get sucked out as a result. 🤣

I'm far from a balanced player but when I try to have a decent 3-bet range, I get called too often and miss the flop. Now I 3-bet fewer times but this way not winning many big pots. 😪
I know that in the beginning we feel this way, that everytime we hit a monster hand either we are dead to a bigger monster or our opponent folds. It sucks a lot and there comes the self control and willpower. You gotta prepare yourself somehow, by meditating, by accepting the fact that these things happens more often than in tournaments.
I'm afraid you are more a tournament player and in this game format players tend to go with whatever hand they have but cash, even the weakest players are not going a lot of times with top pair or medium pair, medium set whatever, they fold because there is no ICM in cash games, no bubble and that changes the whole picture of poker.
One nice tip is to have a solid bankroll, at least 40 buy-ins to begin with. I would not recommend fast tables (pokerstars' Zoom) to a beginner, try regular tables and Full Ring ones where you will find most of the recreational ones, plus you have 3 more positions where you can play a total NIT game and still be profitable (The first eartly three position in a Full Ring table allow us to open 5-10% range).
I would recommend you to have patience, tons of patience and forget about a lot of things you know about tournaments, although they are very similar (cash and tournament), cash can be tricky and disapoint if we do not follow a very strict rule.
Control the pot and do not jam unless you have a very good hand. Try more traps, identify the tendencies of your opponents, find tables where you can have edge upon your opponents, specially if they are in the blinds.
I said that a lot of times but the sole objective of cash games is to play in position versus weak players, that increases your odds, not the game itself. For example, you made a note that a player in the blinds is broken stack and got to a showdown with second pair, or with a set where it complete a flush, etc, take a note.
Or you noted a player that pays three barrels having a weak ace on the river. Take a note and try to exploit that player. We are not playing our skills or knowledge, we are playing the minds of those we play with, and their mistakes in the long run.
At the micros players are very unbalanced for value and not for bluff. Do not expect too much bluff and do not try to bluff that much, and when you bluff make you bluffs cheap, either preflop or postflop.
Basically our 3-bet and 4-bet range will be formed by pure premium and value hands, we are not messing around knowing that players won't fold, for example when they have a pocket TT, or JJ, for instance.
Another good tip is to keep reading hand analysis here on the forum. Try to understand the various and variable forms of thinking a hand so you can build your own strategy and improve your game.
This is just a single drop in a vast universe that is cash games, this is only a shadow of the top of the iceberg, but if you have anything else to say or ask, please do not hesitate to ask, I'm willing to help.

MazzErati

MazzErati

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey forum,

Cash games are like fishing :) You sit for a long and boring time and wait for your hand to be paid.

Like you, I also play MTT, but sometimes I also play in cash. Cash is completely different players and a completely different game. I thought that after MTT it would be easy to roll the cash, you seem to know how to 3-bet, etc., you know which hands to play and which to pass, but NO, it's a completely different game :)

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hey forum,

If you are only playing occasionally it could be bad variance and you are actually playing fine. You would need a decent sample size to really know.

You didnt mention bluffing or bluff catching. Maybe you dont bluff enough? Its important to win pots that dont belong to you and your opponents will quickly notice if you are too passive and fold once you hit your value hands and start betting big.

MTT players are often bad at turn and river play, so maybe an area to focus on?

Preflop is of course alot tighter too, but I am sure you know that

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Understanding the nuances of the game will come only with experience.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Really similar to my cash game efforts Andy. I would add that i find I get bored and then just spew my chips with a losing hand.

Somehow I tilt way way easier and quicker playing cash too.

I do really want to learn and improve though, as I'd like to think I can beat the lowest level playing live one day, and this would seem to be a potentially profitable day out!! I think playing live would also help my tilt, and focus, as the money is more real!!

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hey forum,

I second what @Aballinamion wrote. Nothing more to add:)

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey forum,

Andyreas, playing cash games is very different from the freerolls we are used to playing, the opponents study your every move and are more used to this type of tournament, follow as an observer, take note as much as possible, then enter to play and good luck

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In lowstakes/microstakes players tend to play fit or fold.
They call a lot pre- and postflop untill all their draws (i count 1 pair as a 2 pair draw) missed and fold the river.
There are also not many guys taking the initiative and bluff, so the best way to get paid is if someone raises preflop and you call giving you a monster and him TPTK or Overpair on flop. They don´t fold that.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
That is easy to exploit: just bluff a lot more when you miss - especially when the flop hits your perceived range. And slowplay at least one street when you have it.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It sounds like maybe you are choosing bad spots to call your opponent's bets. You may also be getting perceived as a nit at the tables that you are playing. Essentially they only play against you if they have a very strong position on the flop. The other possibility is that you are picking bad tables where you are the fish, rather than sitting at a fishy table.

hennessy5

hennessy5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
If you only bet with good / nut hands any good player whos paying attention will notice and choose not to pay you.