Where do you stop playing for set value ?

I raise with

• Total voters
stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well

I picked TT and better but it depends on the situation.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say JJ or better. (And thanks for the chart Chuck, made me feel good about my choice)

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I answered 9's. I've a got a pretty decent hand, and want to maximise my chances preflop. Even if the flop doesnt suit me, chances thats its checked to me are pretty good, even a small blocking bet would still give me odds to chase the set.

Anything below 9's I'd limp or raise 60/40 of time, to change my play.

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont even need a pair here. Ill will raise on my button with 5 limpers with almsot any two. Weak passive play is exploited by constant position raises. Ill rasie here as weak as 57 offsuit.

Bill H.

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
honestly...I tend to dump low pairs early...

in limit poker i play all pairs to 1 raise. Always.

brown110

brown110

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I voted TT or better... I'm not really sure why... but I'd just figure you may as well get some sort of information PF. If you just limp here, no matter what the flop his you can get pushed off... which brings me to why not a smaller pair. The answer to that question is just a gut feeling type play.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont even need a pair here. Ill will raise on my button with 5 limpers with almsot any two. Weak passive play is exploited by constant position raises. Ill rasie here as weak as 57 offsuit.

Bill H.
Ah but Bill, the question isn't what 2 cards you'll raise with, but what pair. Surely you're not suggesting that you would raise with dueces, are you?
I don't want to get too far away from the theme of the thread, but maybe you could elaborate on that 57o in another post. It's great having you back and I'd be interested in hearing you're thoughts on this. I'm all for feeding off limpers from LP, but it seems to me that this range of hands is to weak to take on 5 limpers with the blinds yet to act.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok i think ive found what ive been looking for here, 1010 seems to be the hand that people feel is the hand that is worth raising with. The distribution is very very interesting, interesting point is that some people rate 99 as just a powerful hand in this situation as QQ.

Edit: Just looked at the graph and seen the distribution is almost perfect, even though i figured that ye guys would vote for JJ.

Its also interesting who didnt vote (nough said, maybe i should have made it a private poll).

There was no real reason for this and personally i dont think there is an incorrect answer. You could argue for a raise with any of them because of your position, and the fact that the pot is already large enough to take a stab at. Personally id raise here with 99+ but that in a lot of cases comes down to my style of play and by no means saying that anyone else is incorrect.

Im gonna follow on with this after i watch this movie thats starting.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a pretty good test to assess tightness and aggression factors of players by looking at where on the distribution you sit.

Lafaena

Lafaena

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with joosebuck. Ive been thinking a bit about situasion like this lately. Say two of the limpers have small pairs and calls for "setvalue". If you would raise alot with say 66 then and theyll call, would u make money with a c-bet if they would allways fold if they dont hit? I think there is pretty much value in stealing pots when oppentent have "set-tunnelvision" with smallpairs.

XxJackAcexX

XxJackAcexX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i limp with any pairs! unless the situation pertains to the pairs i have! if the flop hits my pair i usually check raise! try to keep building my stack at all times!

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a brand new table and everyone has equal stacks. My first thought with this hand in this situation is who are my opponents, do I know them or are they strangers, If I know some of them and their style of play I might limp as well.

But it's a new game I don't know how the cards are running, I would probably raise even with 2/2 under the described situation, hope to the hit the flop and judge each player as they check or bet into me. That and the flop will give me more of a clue what to do next.

If the game is maybe an hour old and the stacks are still about even It's probably a tight table and I'll bet it for sure. I like to be aggressive and worry my opponents rather than be worried by them. If there are check-raises or big bets my original bet gets me information to file on my opponents and even if I fold after that, I was the agressor to a bunch of limpers there will be some respect for that as I attend to my image as the game progress's.

Shoot I might raise in this situation with a suited K/9 or J/8 under those conditions just for that reason.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id probably make a pot sized raise with any pocket pair/suited connector/big ace in this situation

B

baloney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the players who limped in early position. If I think they may be trapping with a bigger pair then I will limp with them. But if loose players limp in ahead of me, I will make them pay to see a flop. I like to raise because then the pot will be worth fighting over. I hate it when I flop a set and get no action because the pot's miniscule.