When To Leave

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My short stack strategy involves getting it in with the best hand. It's not 20 BI. You read the wrong strategies.

I give up.

aloneboy_uae

aloneboy_uae

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i do double up...i force my self to leave table..otherwise i know i will lose...

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i do double up...i force my self to leave table..otherwise i know i will lose...

why?Why?WHY?

Why is everyone so certain you will lose after you double up?I had 3 sessions in the past days where I bought in for 4$ on the 20-50BB .10 tables and got it up to 16$ then left...Of course, you risk losing your double-up if you value TPTK too much or make a wrong read or lose to a bad beat against a bigger stack...The latter is known to happen and cost you your double-up sometimes, and of course there are many sessions that end up this way, but should you win that one then you're good to go!

I'm kind of superstitious and when I feel my bad luck isn't changing on a table after a while I will leave regardless of the players...But if I'm not getting sucked-out on and there's at least some ultimate nits for steals and some donks for big wins, then I guess I'm staying as much as possible or until I feel I'm not winning enough anymore...

There are a lot of sessions where I say to myself "I should've left earlier" but when you lose because of a good play, that doesn't make any difference because you made a +EV move and you lost to a beat that won't happen next time...What's not ok is when you make a wrong play instead of leaving earlier, then you're paying for experience you should already have or for the greed of staying on a table when you were not at the top of your game...

My opinion of course. Hope this helps :D!

V

Vizzinzin

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd Personally say once you double up and right before the big blinds get too you again after said double up. The major rule of thumb is dont get greedy! even though thats the hardest thing to do its probably the best advice out there

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally leave a table after two bad beats. Even if the players are bad, when you don't have luck, it's time to take a break and try another table.

I had this dude call a 6xbb preflop raise (there were 3 limpers) with J5 suited. Guess what, I hit a K. The problem? He makes trip Js.

A few hands later. I raise to 4xbb with JJ in position. The dude who had limped calls with 67os. Guess what. He hits trip 6s. He 3bets all in on the flop, so I folded. The frustrating thing was, he rabbits it and I would have hit a 2 outter J on the river. If I'd just call his small flop bet instead of raise I might have seen the river cheap and won.

Didn't lose my whole stack, but the two hands caused me 2/3 my stack.

I don't believe in luck. A certain % of the time your opponent is going to flop trips. A certain % of the time you're going to hit your set (effectively flopping a boat against a drawing all but dead three of a kind.

Just because your opponent holds a card on a paired board doesn't mean it's a bad beat. And it certainly doesn't mean you need to leave the table.

What's important is that you set rules for yourself, alter them until you find what works, and stick to them. For me, personally, my biggest losses happen when I deviate from my rules.

There was a point made that you should leave when you think to yourself "I should leave."

I agree with this entirely. If you're up a wicked amount of money, and are good with the time you spent, at the very least take a break, go get something to eat, catch a movie, go to the gym, whatever, get the money off the table, even if it means calling it quits for the day.

Poker is about discipline and rules, not just two hole cards and five community cards.

The amount of discipline and rules you bring into the game are important, and of course I mean in a deeper context than a flush beats a straight.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why?Why?WHY?

Why is everyone so certain you will lose after you double up?I had 3 sessions in the past days where I bought in for 4$ on the 20-50BB .10 tables and got it up to 16$ then left...Of course, you risk losing your double-up if you value TPTK too much or make a wrong read or lose to a bad beat against a bigger stack...The latter is known to happen and cost you your double-up sometimes, and of course there are many sessions that end up this way, but should you win that one then you're good to go!

Consider the following:

Not everybody is good at deep stack poker.

While it's one of my better games (in cash, I don't like being the deep stack in a tournament, I get bored and end up spewing), not everybody understands all the concepts.

Suppose Villain A and myself have 400 BBs each. Villain B has 100 BBs.

Villain A raises to 3 BBs, I call, Villain B raises to 9 BBs, Villain A folds. My implied odds just took a massive dive. Against Villain A I play a lot of hands. Anything with remote straight or flush possibility, especially if I can get to a flop cheaply. Some of the biggest cash game pots I've won this year have been with garbage cards at high effective stacks against premium hands that make TpTk or an overpair.

I kid you not, I've had 24o win me $400 (total pot size $700) where I only put $45 into the pot where I was behind, I've had 86o crack aces w/ flopped trips for a $650 profit where I only put $12 into the pot bad, I've had 35o win a gigantic 3-way all-in pot when I called a preflop raise in position, got a free turn to connect to my gutshot straight draw, and stacks went in for upwards of $600 profit, and I called a raise from position with T5s (I fold this 19/20 times, but as stacks get higher the first number gets lower...) to flop a flush against a silly overpair without so much as a runner runner full house draw. All of these hands were within approximately six sessions in a fifteen day period at a $300 BI live table.

The risks associated with my playstyle are known to me, so are the rewards. If you can't deal with somebody at the table who is willing to open their calling range greatly as effective stack sizes go up, then you don't have any business playing deepstacked, and should leave when you're double your buy-in.

But I've made rent payments (if I paid rent, the Army does a good job of giving me a barracks room) in a single hand that would have been snap-folded preflop because people don't know how to deny me implied odds.

(I'll give you a hint, it's not calling my CRAI on the turn with TpTk or an overpair, regardless of board texture...)

Maybe I'll make a thread about that.