When is a good time to move up in stakes?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When you are
1. Comfortably beating your current stakes and
2. Have 100 buy ins for the next stakes.
100 buy ins is alot, I think 40 is the more typical advice I have heard. Definitely agree with 1, bo point moving up till you are comfortably beating current stake

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
100 buy ins is alot, I think 40 is the more typical advice I have heard. Definitely agree with 1, bo point moving up till you are comfortably beating current stake
In my opinion being conservative is always better than taking risks. Possibly I'm reflecting too much from my own poker journey, but my biggest mistake in my poker career was that I had poor bankroll management. Slow and steady is the way to go in poker.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If you are bankrolled to move up, give it a try. Should you hit a roadblock , drop back.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After winning around 25 - 40 Buyins at a stake, one should try to move up in stakes.

Makarius

Makarius

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
Use bankroll management if you play comfortably at the next level

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When you can understand that your skills and your experience are enough to move to a higher stake. But this doesn't mean that you must move on stakes. You can continue to the same.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's great that you're taking your poker playing more seriously and improving your game through reading books and watching streams. Your current win rate of 68bb/100 is very good for 2NL, and it's likely that you'll be able to continue making a profit at this level.

When it comes to moving up in stakes, there are a few factors to consider. Firstly, you should have a good understanding of the game at your current level and be comfortable with the strategies and tactics you're using. Additionally, you should have a solid bankroll in place to handle the increased variance that comes with higher stakes.

It's important to note that moving up in stakes too soon can be dangerous. If you're not ready for the increased competition and higher variance, you could end up losing your bankroll quickly.

In general, it's a good idea to wait until you've reached a consistent win rate at your current level before moving up. You might consider moving up in stakes when you've played a significant number of hands, around 10,000-20,000, and have a win rate of at least 5bb/100 at your current level.

It's also worth to consider that moving up in stakes will increase the difficulty of the game and you will play against better players, so make sure you are comfortable with your game and your bankroll is healthy to handle the increased variance.