When is a good time to move up in stakes?

V

VooDooGoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LU
Chips
Hey guys,

I am currently and always playing 2NL on pokerstars. I've been with the game for years but always casually just for fun but recently started taking it more seriously, thus reading books, watching streams etc...

My current WinRate is 68Bb/100...

Granted I don't have many hands tracked yet (about 1000) since I didn't get a tracker until later.

But I was wondering whether 2NL might be too low for my level? Not wanting to sounds arrogant , but I feel comfortable and don't expect to not make a profit any time I sit down.

When is the moment you should think about moving up in stakes? When is it premature?

Thanks for any advice you can give =)

VooDooGoo

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
I really can't tell you because I only play MTT or SNG
Let's say that raising the level is a little easier, since it is roughly calculated to have a bank range of 50 tickets at a cost. You understand right??? For example you have $100 you have to play 50 MTT or SNG for $2
Some people even risk that with 20 innings the range can already be increased, although I prefer to be cautious, I am going to stand firm.
I'm sure one of the forum colleagues will give you good advice.
Cheers;););) Carlos

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think it's time for you to raise the stakes and play more serious tournaments to gain experience there

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing wrong with moving up to 5NL or 10NL now, if you can find money for a sufficient bankroll of at least 30BIs. So 150$ for 5NL or 300$ for 10NL.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey guys,

I am currently and always playing 2NL on Pokerstars. I've been with the game for years but always casually just for fun but recently started taking it more seriously, thus reading books, watching streams etc...

Granted I don't have many hands tracked yet (about 1000) since I didn't get a tracker until later.

But I was wondering whether 2NL might be too low for my level? Not wanting to sounds arrogant , but I feel comfortable and don't expect to not make a profit any time I sit down.

When is the moment you should think about moving up in stakes? When is it premature?

VooDooGoo
with all due respect, the amount of games you have are too few to really know the quality of your game.
if i were you i would keep me as much time as i am at the level i am being profitable and when i get the amount of buy in needed for another level i would see how i fit in there.
but I would keep my initial buy-ins where I am profitable.
It's just my opinion.

V

VooDooGoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LU
Chips
with all due respect, the amount of games you have are too few to really know the quality of your game.
if i were you i would keep me as much time as i am at the level i am being profitable and when i get the amount of buy in needed for another level i would see how i fit in there.
but I would keep my initial buy-ins where I am profitable.
It's just my opinion.
Makes sense to me too, I decided I would play 20.000 hands, in 2NL , if my BB/100 stays over 10 i'll move up to 5NL and try it out

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess your in 50-100 buy-in (BR=$100-$200) if you can reload anytime you can move up (BR=$250 - $500) but if not its is safe to be at 250-500 buy-in (BR=$1,250 - $2,500) or when your at $500 you can add 1 table 5NL.

Last edited:
Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey guys,

I am currently and always playing 2NL on Pokerstars. I've been with the game for years but always casually just for fun but recently started taking it more seriously, thus reading books, watching streams etc...

VooDooGoo
If you are still learning about poker, keep playing on NL2, but if you had a minimum, i repeat, minimum knowledge, get out NL2 now and start playing at least NL5. You never win really money playing NL2, and the differences between the players on these two stakes are really close

V

VooDooGoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LU
Chips
If you are still learning about poker, keep playing on NL2, but if you had a minimum, i repeat, minimum knowledge, get out NL2 now and start playing at least NL5. You never win really money playing NL2, and the differences between the players on these two stakes are really close
I do have knowledge about the game , ive been reading a few books and watching a lot of content. However, as someone here said, I wanna get a better sample size, lets say if my BB/100 is still high over 10.000 hands ill think about a switch.

For now, its not about making that much money, but I wanna get there eventually, not as a job (though that would be amazing and I'd only need around 1500/month to do that ) but more as a hobby with benefits :D

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Play 10,000 hands and if you are the winning player then you will start playing NL 5.

V

VooDooGoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LU
Chips
Play 10,000 hands and if you are the winning player then you will start playing NL 5.
Winning is defined by which BB/100 value in your opinion? Arguably, winning could be as much as $2 profit over 10.000 hands... which would be negligable...

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
1000 hands is too few to judge your game!!! If you want stability, then play about 30,000 hands and then if the bankroll allows you, you can go to NL5, but keep in mind the higher the limit, the more buyins you must have to go to the higher limit !!! There are a lot of weak players on NL2, and if you play well, then 40-50 buyins ($80-100) are enough for you, and on NL5, about 60-70 buyins ($300-350) !!! The higher the limit, the fewer weak players and the greater the variance and the greater the margin of safety you should have !!!

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would consider moving up in stakes after I have beaten the game for ten buy-ins. The general rule is to play at the highest stakes you can beat. If you find yourself making scared decisions, move down a level.

722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For me I go by amount of buy ins my bank roll allows followed by my comfort level. I like to have the bankroll capable of 30-50 buy ins, if I do, then am I comfortable moving to that limit is what I ask myself.

It’s this order because if for some reason I think I feel comfortable but don’t have the BR to support the move, it’s more logical to play until my BR can support sufficient buy ins, if that makes sense.

K

kostja007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Makes sense to me too, I decided I would play 20.000 hands, in 2NL , if my BB/100 stays over 10 i'll move up to 5NL and try it out

That is a good goal when moving up the stakes. Also you should be strong enough to go down the stakes when your bankroll is to small and you are running cold.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I think that as you feel confortable with NL2, you can switch to NL5 without a problem as the level of the field is highly the same. You have to respect the BR management and give it a try.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Assuming you have the bankroll for 5NL then no reason not to give it a try. Best to start off with a weekend or evening session when the games are softest

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hey guys,

VooDooGoo
I notice this is an old thread. So did you move up? if so how is it going, crushing 5NL?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its time to move up when you get to a place where you are over-rolled. Then I like to gradually move up, adding 1 higher level table at a time to my session.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The good time will be when you don't have the need to ask it anymore.

It's something that goes beyond the mathematical side of it.

Of course you will need some statistics and specific numbers to aid on that but there's also the psychological side right?

You can have more than the proper BR, have been playing for an amount of time and with such amount of hands but if you can't handle dealing with more than U$ 10,00 pots and bets higher than the ones you're used to, how will it be?

Will you be able to handle tougher villains?

Stuff like that, you know?

I'm playing mostly NL 2 6 max and lots of freerolls for 2 years already and still far from moving up stakes.

I prefer playing cash since it's more flexible but I play zoom sometimes, found this class for SNGs and I'm very interested in it, play lots of freeroll tourneys.

Haven't even found my most profitable game type yet.

So, be patient, which I believe is the most valuable trait in poker.

Wish you the funnest time at the felt bud.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Build comfort bankroll, and then move up. No need to rush.

AD_all

AD_all

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
It's great that you're taking your poker game more seriously and working to improve your skills. It's important to keep in mind that the key to success in poker is not necessarily the stakes you play, but rather your ability to make good decisions and adjust to your opponents. That being said, there are a few factors you may want to consider when deciding whether to move up in stakes:
  • Bankroll: Make sure you have a sufficient bankroll to support the higher stakes. It's generally recommended to have at least 100 buy-ins for the stakes you're playing.
  • Win rate: Your win rate of 68bb/100 is very good at 2NL, and it's possible that you could be successful at higher stakes. However, it's important to keep in mind that your win rate may vary based on the opponents you face and the style of play at different stakes.
  • Comfort level: If you feel comfortable and confident playing at 2NL, there's no need to rush to move up in stakes. Take the time to build your skills and knowledge, and try to learn as much as you can from each session.
Ultimately, the decision of when to move up in stakes is a personal one, and it will depend on your individual goals and circumstances. As long as you're having fun and making good decisions, you can't go wrong.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
When you are
1. Comfortably beating your current stakes and
2. Have 100 buy ins for the next stakes.