What strategy to use in a pot with more than three active players?

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

When I find myself in a pot with more than three active players, I adopt a more cautious and selective strategy. First, it's essential to assess the strength of my hand and consider how likely it is to improve in the next hand. If my hand isn't strong enough, I prefer to get out of the pot and wait for a more favorable opportunity. If I have a decent hand but not the best possible hand, I try to play more defensively, betting sparingly and trying to extract the maximum value when I have a dominant hand. In addition, it is important to look closely at other players, their bets and gaming patterns, to identify those who are more willing to take unnecessary risks. That way, I can take advantage of opportunities to bluff or face off against stronger players.

And you, what do you think?

GL

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think your reasoning is correct, in a normal poker game, where players have a minimum of knowledge of range, position and that have strategies based on knowledge with studies.

But when we talk about freerolls, you can forget about all that, guys play and call with any two cards, I think this type of player has never heard of range and position in poker.

At. Cesar.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

When I find myself in a pot with more than three active players, I adopt a more cautious and selective strategy. First, it's essential to assess the strength of my hand and consider how likely it is to improve in the next hand. If my hand isn't strong enough, I prefer to get out of the pot and wait for a more favorable opportunity. If I have a decent hand but not the best possible hand, I try to play more defensively, betting sparingly and trying to extract the maximum value when I have a dominant hand. In addition, it is important to look closely at other players, their bets and gaming patterns, to identify those who are more willing to take unnecessary risks. That way, I can take advantage of opportunities to bluff or face off against stronger players.

And you, what do you think?

GL
I usually play passively when facing three or more players, if they are all recreational ones (this situation happens because several players limped into the pot and all decided to call our raise).
However, if I’m in a 3-way hand versus other two decent players, I will try to play straightforward and bluff more, for decent players could think: “he’s not bluffing two players out of the pot, or when he bets here means strength”, etc.
But you are dead on with your ideas, we must evaluate our hand giving scenario and play accordingly.

P.S: a great hail to the people of Bahia! I love this place and my father was born in Ilhéus. All the best positive energy to all of you!

Best regards;

G

gaucan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
TH
Chips
When I find myself in a pot with more than three active players, I adopt a more cautious and selective strategy.
Important is, who is preflop raiser, stack to pot ratio, position, and whose range that flop hits the best.

it's essential to assess the strength of my hand and consider how likely it is to improve in the next hand.
Usually, if you are the player with strongest range, you should be the one aggresive, and others playing passive and you should bet enough of your strong hands to the point that villains dont have incentive to checkback with middle of their range and they end up betting with close-to-nuts only (freerolls and microstakes players often do this, because they always wanna be right, when they bet ) .

I try to play more defensively, betting sparingly and trying to extract the maximum value when I have a dominant hand.

Try to guess, how many worse and better hands you have in your range, and based on that call or fold. If facing big betsize , fold more, if smaller betsize , defend more, if more players left to act behind you, play tighter(especially if the sizing is big, like above 2/3pot).

G

gaucan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
TH
Chips
If you would want a more simple beginner advice for multiway pots, just play the hands that could dominate other villain's hands.
So that would be flushes with AXsuited and sets with pocketpairs.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Yes, this is stupidity, there are 3 people left, what kind of attention are we talking about, you have two pocket kings, the second one has two aces and it goes all-in, you and your pair will call and lose, everything is decided by luck.Here the card is already playing, and not the player, poker is not fair.