What do you do when you hold a strong hand and a player makes a massive overbet?

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, say you are in the big blind with AK offsuit, a very strong hand but certainly not a lock. Any pair is 50% to win against you. It's folded to the small blind who pushes all in for 1300 when the blinds are only 80/160. So you only have a little invested but you have to put in a ton of chips to call. This happened to me just now, I called and he had ace 2 suited and won when a 2 came on the flop. Was it a bad call?

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it was not a bad call. SB has less than 10bbs and his pushing range is huge here, particularly since it was folded to him. I don't know what your chipstack was, but with AK I call this every time. Easy call.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a good call. Especially with AK. AK shines in exactly these situations --- preflop all-in with short stacks.

If SB moves in with his top 50% of hands (which is quite reasonable in this situation), you are 65% favorite.

For his top 25%, you are 64% favorite.
For his top 10%(which is ridiculously tight), you are still 58% favorite.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably would fold not a big fan of AK I lose more with that than any other cards even if u wimp in with it if you dont catch a good flop fold fold fold

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're trying to WIN the tourney. You made the right move.

What do you call with if you won't call with AK? AA, KK, then lose to a TQ offsuit?

Everything you do in poker is risky, it IS called gambling.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any two cards can win!!!

I believe your call was good but depends on your chip stack. Did it cripple you or leave you enough chips to continue? If it might cripple me I might lay it down depending on the player etc

M

masterfarrad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
captains logg

[the same thing happen 2 me bad beat

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an easy call. The SB has only 8 big blinds and tries to pick up your blind.
It's a standard move, and when you have something as huge as AK you have to call.

38special

38special

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you cant call here you'll never win a tournament. easy call

V

vaj18psu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when u have AK preflop its one of the best hands out there and its a good idea to call with that, if the flop comes and u have nothing tho FOLD

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, say you are in the big blind with AK offsuit, a very strong hand but certainly not a lock. Any pair is 50% to win against you. It's folded to the small blind who pushes all in for 1300 when the blinds are only 80/160. So you only have a little invested but you have to put in a ton of chips to call. This happened to me just now, I called and he had ace 2 suited and won when a 2 came on the flop. Was it a bad call?

You say "blinds are only 80/160", but the SB has less than 10 BBs. Folded to him, good time to push with any ace, hoping you can't call. But you have a great hand to call with.

when u have AK preflop its one of the best hands out there and its a good idea to call with that, if the flop comes and u have nothing tho FOLD

??? U don't get no chance to fold; u called a shove.

K

kesc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe part of the reason people do massive bets like that is because they are holding something that they don't want to have called... So I'd say it was a good call.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's not a massive overbet. The SB only has 8BB. There is no other play for them. Especially OOP!

If they limp, they will miss the flop completely 2/3 of the time. Being OOP, if they bluff lead, they will get called when they are beat. Conversely, they will not make money when they hit the flop if the BB doesn't hit as well.

If the SB raises say 3BB, they are pot committed. In another post I showed that if the smaller stack is less than 5*Raise, then you have odds to call if you are re-raised. So it is better to shove to maximize FE. In this case 5*3BB=15BB, so an all-in is the only sensible action.

Of course the BB calls here with AK regardless of their stack as the percentages show(a few posts above). The only time the BB may fold is if they are hopelessly short and trying to sneak in the money and the bubble is close.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands