waiting for the nuts.

mario999

mario999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive lost alot of tpurnies when i first started playing becuze i thought being in 1st asap was the most important thing in a tournie. and i played alot of hands and tried to bluff too many pots.

now i look at it like this.

say there are 200 players starting with 1500 chips.
that means there are 300,000 chips in the game.
say theres 20 places payed.
that means you need to try and get 20/300K=15,000 chips to have and average start into the money round.
but when you take into account that the toop 3-4 players will have triple that..idd say 8000-10,000, is good eanough to make the money.

so how many hands do you really need to play to get say 9000.
well it will only take 3 good allin hands to get there, as long as you take your time..dont rush, steall a few blinds along the way...and "NEVER SHOW'
im not saying go allin preflop hear...play smart.
let the all ins come too you.
you get 66..call...if the raise is crazy fold...if its cheap call.
you miss flop..check/fold
you hit your flop rainbow..check/call , and raise big on the river.
hit with a flush draw out there..allin, right away...make them pay to chase
you pair the board and you beat the flush anyways.
common sence...no pot odds...dont know that stuff..
hope this helps any new pokerplayers who dont know pot odds like me.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mario999 said:
ive lost alot of tpurnies when i first started playing becuze i thought being in 1st asap was the most important thing in a tournie. and i played alot of hands and tried to bluff too many pots.

Pretty common mistake. I remember I always used to be checking the info tab during tourneys and panicking if I had less than the average stack size. :)

Look at the chipleader at the first break of any decent sized MTT, then look afterwards to see if he final tabled, or even made the money. It's surprising how rarely early pacesetters cash/ft, mainly because they've almost certainly relied on riding their luck up to a point to get where they are, and are unwilling to shift down a few gears when up against other big stacks later on.

I agree completely with "never show", having changed my mind about it recently. The less information you give to other players the better, and even if you do show a bluff you're relying on the other players actually paying attention and giving you action after this if your reason for showing is actually going to work. I have auto-muck checked on all sites I play at now, and although I might type the hand I had in the chat box every now and then, people may still be doubtful as to whether I'm telling the truth or not, a doubt which is removed by actually showing the cards. :)

mario999

mario999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ill show a bluff sometimes...but you can bet your bankroll..the next hand i play will be a monster...ill never bluff twice in a row.

J

jpockets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is only one time I would ever show and it will come along about once evry 6 months. It has to be live game, it has to show the opposition that they got a massive bad beat and I have to know I've developed a psychological edge over the person. These are the only conditions where you have a good chance of sending someone on tilt. Then the rewards can be huge! Never try this on line because it won't have the same effect.