Too loose or too good players?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You said that my play going all in on the turn was good, but on this case wouldn't have been better to jam on the river after he completely missed?

That is a bit results oriented. In real time, you did not know, we was also on a draw, or that he would miss.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
97s in the HJ against a MP open I would fold and find a better spot. You have 2 to act behind. If I did play it the way you did, I'm not raising the flop. I'm just flatting, maybe looking to raise the turn....

If you want next level thinking, I would have put hand like 97s in my 3Bet range. 3Bet with the best, and worest of your range for balance. Personally I just like letting this go pre.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You play AKo & AKs only 2% of the time, you have come to a decision, a really bad decision, not learned a lesson.
Depends. In pokerstars or live, AK might be a half decent hand but at the card room I play at AK is a GUARANTEED losing hand.

Yesterday I saw 9 people lose their stack with AK.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends. In Pokerstars or live, AK might be a half decent hand but at the card room I play at AK is a GUARANTEED losing hand.

Yesterday I saw 9 people lose their stack with AK.

What is that room? And what did those AKs lose?

V

vini127

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The dude had the nut flush draw. Id call easily in that spot aswell.. Ur play was bad, cuz u have only 3 outs (10's no heart) to win this hand. Ofc u couldnt tell he had suited hears, but you probably should put in his range higher suited cards, such as AK, AQ, KQ. So, I think the correct play was either 3bet shove on flop or check/call flop and check/fold turn if no hearts come.

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This kind of results oriented thinking will lead you nowhere in poker. We flopped a dubble gutshot AND a flushdraw, and if we are not continuing with a hand this strong, then what do we ever continue with other than the nuts? Sure in this case we were dominated by a better flushdraw, but this is not his entire range, and also it mean, that our pair outs were good. Any offsuit 6, 7, 9 or T would give us the best hand = 12 outs or almost a coinflip on the flop.

Yes, you have nothing. The double gutshot is only 6 clean outs. That situation it's not like the open-ended with 8 clean outs. Even that is very weak OTF. Eight outs is not a strong draw. In your case, any 10h or 6h gives you both a flush and you'll be gone by losing all your money. Any other heart and all your chips go to him too. He's got 6 overs also that gives him a big pair. If you both miss he's going to win based on his Ace high.

So, what you got? ---------- NOTHING!:laugh:

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you have nothing. The double gutshot is only 6 clean outs. That situation it's not like the open-ended with 8 clean outs. Even that is very weak OTF. Eight outs is not a strong draw. In your case, any 10h or 6h gives you both a flush and you'll be gone by losing all your money. Any other heart and all your chips go to him too. He's got 6 overs also that gives him a big pair. If you both miss he's going to win based on his Ace high.

If you want to fold huge combo draws on the flop based on knowing the runout and your opponents hole cards, please let me know, where I can find you at the poker tables :D

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is that room? And what did those AKs lose?
J88.

Usually someone has AK with a favorable flop like K 9 2 and bets big. Someone else has AA or KK.

Other times a favorable flop again and someone donk calls with 10 3 and gets a straight or a flush on the river

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on where in tournament!

should note AK "value" is different depending on where in tournament you are!

in the beginning AK has less value since more people are willing to pay to see the flop and likelyhood of AK being the loosing hand is greater.

later in tournament with blinds pressing people and simply being bigger percentage of their stack the willingness to call to just see the flop will decrease massively.

Basically late tournament most often you only get called by one so your probability of winning is 50/50 or better plus if the flop comes and a player dont hit something they will fold. with three mix cards on the flop a player calling typically have either a pocket pair or one pair or two pairs - so in this case you most likely already have lost or need to gamble on either hitting A or K on the river or force the other player out but that depends on stack and history of other player - typically will be best just check or fold if other player bet

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to fold huge combo draws on the flop based on knowing the runout and your opponents hole cards, please let me know, where I can find you at the poker tables :D

In Las Vegas you can find me every day of the week :heeeellll

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I value every bodies opinion, but I think some people are missing my point. My card were irrelevant at this point. (IM TRYING TO bluff THE GUY AND MAKE HIM FOLD), what better spot to bluff a pot when the guy only has A high??? lol
That is why my bigger concern is if bluffing on the river would be a better bluff than bluffing on the turn?
Like I said, I had a good read of the situation and my opponent. If he had a higher pair, there is not way he would check the turn unless that he had a set, and even tho, would be too dangerous to let me catch up a straight or a flush. The only thing that I did not see coming was that he also has hearts!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You got no hand on the flop. What you have is a double gutshot excluding the 10h or 6h. He's got you crushed with his two overs plus a draw to the nut flush. You got 6 clean outs vs. his 15 sure outs.

The flop is the entire game in NLH. If you don't flop a made hand that can beat any overpair or the TPTK or a strong draw with something beside, you have no business continuing dumping money in the pot.:icon_stud

Can we see villain's hand in this spot? (I feel like I'm missing something here)

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was thinking about that hand. I'm pretty sure the villain made a mistake paying your all-in. What advantages did he have? Spend 11 dollars to earn another 11.1? 2.1 to 1? Not enough. Compared to the number of times he will not complete the color (3 of 4), he is clearly losing money.

F

FlopGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing online I encounter this situation very often. People make hero calls, make me wonder if they are just much better than me or they are just too loose.

one Example:
playing 0.25 -0.10 game

A tight player raised from middle position to one dollar
I called from the Hijacker with 9h 7h
everybody folds around. I-m short stack with 11 dollars. He has 24 behind

The flop came Jh 8h 5C
He do continuation bet half of the pot about 1.17dollars.
I re-raised him to 2 dollars.
He just called

the turn: 6S

he checked and I go all in
He called With AK of hearts.

I believe I could have raised him half of the pot on the turn, if he call I could have go all in on the river maybe he would have folded coz we both missed. I understand he has equity.
But was that a good call?
did I play the hand right?

Mate, I think you played the hand perfectly. He made a reasonable call at the end too.

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great!! thanks for the imputs