Suited connectors overrated?

T

TheHoag57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're experience and mine are about the same. A no doubt negative return.
In all honesty, I rarely hit with suited connectors. I've never hit a straight flush. and I rarely hit a straight with suited connectors that are below 10 J. It's very odd. Play them cautiously but raising is not a bad idea!

T

TheHoag57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to all for taking the time to post. You gave me a lot to think about and some perspectives that I hadn't thought of. Best of luck at the tables.

TheHoag57

H

hastetheday

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like suited connectors just don't wanna make a bad habit of playing all suited, that'll get ya into trouble.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After having read Brunson's Super System, I began playing suited connectors much more often and much more aggressively with disastrous results. I prefer to bet with this holding rather than check or call. When the flop misses me (which it usually does), I follow through with a continuation bet but rarely seem to pick up the pot. Is my approach flawed or is this hand just overrated? Return thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

TheHoag57

Suited connectors are trash. Brunson's take on them is from a very specific type of game and under very specific conditions.

If you're going to see a cheap multi-way pot (3+ limpers) then go ahead and take a look. If the pot has been raised and there's any other actions then it's time to muck.

If a tight player makes a small/standard raise and you can play him heads up in position then you might take a shot. You're hoping that he has Aces (or another big hand) and that he'll over play it.

For example, tight player raises 3xBB with AA. Folded to you on the button with 57s, you call. Flop comes down Q64 with two of your suit, or 857, or 864 rainbow. AA is in some trouble and you have a chance to get his whole stack.

T

TheHoag57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotcha. Your example is exactly this situation I always hope to be in but rarely seems to happen. Overall, I think they represent a bad ROI when played with any regularity. Thanks for the input.

T

tas02

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't have to hit that often to be profitable. Just remember to not invest too much in it. If you lose 3BB 5 times and then win 20BB when you hit it, it's still +EV.

The problem is when you play them too often for too big a raise and refuse to give them up when you flop middle pair, etc.

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i only play them when theres alot of people in pot and im in late position ( only is a reletive word )

I

iluvdahate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best advice i ever heard from dolly about online poker was to play the nuts and everything close to it but not much else. in other words use the position but be selective and know that folding is just as good as winning a pot sometimes. gl and play on.:D :D

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just watched Daniel's video on you tube and it was really a great learn. Thanks for the tip MrMuckets!

T

TheHoag57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best advice i ever heard from dolly about online poker was to play the nuts and everything close to it but not much else. in other words use the position but be selective and know that folding is just as good as winning a pot sometimes. gl and play on.:D :D

[Good advice. If you think about poker as one, long, continuous game, your philosophy is hard to argue with. Thanks for sharing.]

Cowboy8112

Cowboy8112

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, Im seeing some really strange thoughts on what "connectors" are by some very good players........cards to not have to be 67 89 34 to be connected, any two cards that can make a straight on the flop are connected....26,37,48,59,610,7J,8Q,9K and 10A are all connectors.
Depending on the situation at the table, seeing a flop with these when suited is not a "donk" play

Again, suited connectors are a "situational" hand.

M

markpro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors main purpose is to catch. Now your method is interesting cause u can bluff it out afterwards, and its nice... plenty of ppl do it to to get ppl ofguard so that when they do get the flush or straight, no one knows. The one thing u might have flawd though is if you do it most of the time. Ppl catch on to these things and you should always vary your play if you wanna be a good poker player. Have fun on the tables! :).

B

booger_noob

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Super System is a book for VERY advanced players. If you know that you are getting into trouble with these hands then you need to slow down, seems obvious eh

CanOkie

CanOkie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After having read Brunson's Super System, I began playing suited connectors much more often and much more aggressively with disastrous results. I prefer to bet with this holding rather than check or call. When the flop misses me (which it usually does), I follow through with a continuation bet but rarely seem to pick up the pot. Is my approach flawed or is this hand just overrated? Return thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

TheHoag57

That's a tough one, I kinda wondered the same thing but the conclusion I've come to is that Suited Connectors are a gold mine. Depending on if I'm early, mid or late position and the complexity of the table or other players, I might just call and hope to get "lucky." i might raise if the time is right. Remember, the potential is good but don't get married to the hand. I would use selective aggression with the suited connectors. If you are continuation betting make sure it's a strong enough bet to scare them off. Good tip: players pick up on this betting trend quickly, so you have to mix it up or we'll see right through you...on second thought.....where to you play? Just kidding :)

I've found that knowing odds (pot or implied) help make smart decisions on future streets.

P

Paulozg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well suited connectors got me some monster pots against monster hands, but if you completly miss the pot you shouldn't bother to much, just muck em

A

azbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors are not a very good hand in tournys. They are a semi bluff PF to try to steal blinds and have a shot at hitting something in case you get called.

In cash games they are pretty important. However most people overplay them. There are so many suited connectors and one gappers you cannot play them all. They are good for diversifying play and becomming harder to read, but do not play them everytime simply because there are more SC than good hands, good players will pick up on this and take a lot of money.

this is exactly opposite of reality. I think if you actually created a spread sheet and started tracking your hands in tourneys you would find that you can get paid off a lot more with suited connectors or 10-8, j-9, q-10 than you can with AA. If you play them correctly suited connectors are a double up, or eliminate your opponent kind of hand. Not only is it a lot harder to extract maximum value with AA or KK, alot of the time if you try and gt called you've run into a straight or a set. AA or KK rarely becomes the nuts, so you're always playing them in a situation that includes some risk to you and thus extracting maximum value is not only more complicated it has a large potential downside. In the situations when AA or KK becomes the nuts or second nuts to something like K-10-10 (where you have KK) you usually only get to double up if someone had A-10 or 10x where x comes on the board. When I have J-9 I'm hoping we have a community pot and I'm hoping someone catches 2 pair or even a set when I catch 10-8-7. As long as the board never pairs and there aren't 3 of a suit, you're in command and it's your job to try and read who has a set, a flush draw or something like A-10/87

Hands that are 3 apart actually suck. They have all of the weaknesses of suited connectors without the biggest potential upside. 2 gap is far superior and 1 or none is ideal. The HUGE problem with a 3 gapper is you never have the nuts. (unless you're holding A-10) there is always a possibility you're on the wrong end of things so instead of just watching out for a boat or flush if you make the straight you have to be cautious. Hands where you can't "know" you have the nuts are never going to give you the opportunity to apply maximum pressure without any repurcusions. When you have the nuts the betting algorythm changes to "how do I get the fishy to give me the maximum pay off" instead of "does the reraise mean he has me beat"?.

Bottom line with 2, 1, 0 gaps, you're looking for one or both of your cards to be the top end of the straight, or at least both your cards are required to make anystraight at all. If you have J9 and the flop is 10, Q, K you can't really make the same moves you can as if the flop was q-8-10 or even better 10-7-8.

The other problem with 3 gappers is the math changes as the gap gets bigger the smaller chance you have of making a straight that involves both your hole cards. Most importantly 3 gappers don't get you doubled up (unless you're wreckless) because if you play them to double, you'll possibly be the one who doubles someone else.

Last edited:
RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kinda......

I LOVE getting sooted conectors in the BB and I only gotta check! At least then I get to see the flop--AND A-K sooted isn't all that great, really as far as catching the straight goes--it's good as far as catching a flush goes--but then so is A anything sooted good fer that! AND I gotta say I DO hate layin' them down, but it's been my experiance that they miss more than they hit! So I guess it all really hinges on position as well as what ya gotta call, chip wise!:eek:

A

azbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I LOVE getting sooted conectors in the BB and I only gotta check! At least then I get to see the flop--AND A-K sooted isn't all that great, really as far as catching the straight goes--it's good as far as catching a flush goes--but then so is A anything sooted good fer that! AND I gotta say I DO hate layin' them down, but it's been my experiance that they miss more than they hit! So I guess it all really hinges on position as well as what ya gotta call, chip wise!:eek:
Of course they miss more than they hit. Pocket 8's only become trips 1 time in 5 but people still love to see a flop with them because there's a chance to extract a huge payout. Flop comes K83 and someone makes a continuation bet, you have a lot of options and your expected ROI is way beyond the cost of the 4 calls where you missed completely. You have to understand implied odds if you want to win tourney's on a regular basis.