Study: Reasons for Actions at the Poker Table

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm conducting an informal study to explain the reasons why certain actions are done on the poker table, and why poker players take that length of time they take to do carry out such actions. As such, I need the help of the CC members to help me figure this out.

For example, I have filled in the basic reasons for a, Slow Call, Fast Call, Slow Check, Fast Check, Small Bet, Big Bet, Moderate Bets, Small Raise, and Big raise (raise by more than the pot). These delayed or prompt actions may hint how strong or weak of a hand the opponent has. Of course there is the obvious explanation for a Fold, so that won't be included in the study.

Here it is:

Slow Call
- a slow caller may be calculating odds, and therefore has a potentially strong hand
- may be slow-playing a big hand

Fast Call
- Likely paired up with one of the higher flop cards

Slow Check
- May be slow-playing a strong hand
- Player may not have weak pocket cards which are not worth risking chips on
-May be hesitating on whether to semi-bluff or see the next card for free.

Fast Check
- unhesitant to see the community card for free may indicate a weaker hand

Small Bet
- May be semi-bluffing
- Possibly holding strong cards, and is slowly persuading the opponent to increase the pot

Big Bets
- early big bets indicate pocket cards
- late big bets indicate a strong hand being made by the last flipped community card.

If anyone else has any input to this study (and I'm sure you do), please feel free to post it on this thread. After all, this knowledge base is meant to benefit all of us. Thanks.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to say generically what acting slow or fast may mean for every player. This is another one of those "tells" that may be player specific. Fir instance a player may always take a lot of time and check if he is trying to represent a big hand slow play in order to get a free card. Or it may depend on where they are to act. Someone first to act may take longer than someone last to act just to process the info. Someone that takes a long time to decide may be multitabling or have 5 kids running around that distract him.

I think you get my point here.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should beware of putting too much importance on the time taken to act in an online game. Experienced players know very well that other players watch this (it is pretty much the only available tell in an online game) and may deliberately adjust their time to mislead. For example, a player may hesitate a long time to give the impression that he is weak and uncertain whether to call, when in fact he is holding the nuts.

Another common thing among better players is that they may take care to always act in the exact same length of time, in order to provide no information.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, I don't think much of the amount of time taken. A slow reaction could mean a slow connection, potty break, getting a drink, snack, chasing kids...I could go on and on...

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fast Call
- Likely paired up with one of the higher flop cards

Maybe even more often than this, I'd say a fast call can mean a draw. This tell even works pretty well on the pros

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, multitabling, or chatting with other friends on Yahoo slows things up.

But, I have, and seen others also, use the the intentional slow, slow call to make the opponent think that I'm hesitant and have a marginal hand for that bet, when I'm actually playing a monster.

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always act pretty quick unless i have a real descision to make so i guess it could be a tell on me

Shoestringx

Shoestringx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that people try to read to much into the speed that people act online. I tend to treat it on an individual bases. If I notice that a player at my table took a long time to act and then find out he has a strong hand I may use that information. However without specific reads on players the timing that they react is a pretty unreliable way to determine anything IMO.
The thing about online poker is that the person on the other end could be doing anything at all that might effect the length of time it takes to make a play.

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, maybe these reads aren't too useful online. But I'm also talking live poker. Any use of these reads there?

G

Green T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that I tried this weekend was to not fold fast when I was reraised on a bluff or semi-bluff. It felt like (??) I was getting more respect on my decisions. When I've folded fast, I tended to get bet into more...I think I gave the impression of being weak & tight. This weekend when I waited a bit, rather than the immediate "fold to any bet," I at least gave the impression that I was thinking about calling, raising or folding. AND sometimes I really was thinking about pot odds & how this player has played & if my top pair is still good....online that little timer goes really fast.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I have found two great tells........come to think of it I will not say as its part of my strategy and strategy is important during the team events..sorry guys.
And with the waiting to bet thing in a live game, again it depends on how long of a pause, pre/post flop bet and amount bet to try and get a good read on a player

Last edited: