Started 6Max Regular tables - General thoughts + Am i a nit?

M

MDan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Hello guys!
Started playing online after long time, trying to enjoy the game once again. Also i want to take it slow, set a good foundation, feel comfortable at the tables and reignite the spark. My goal for the next few weeks is primarily work on preflop game, build a basic strategy that i understand and add stuff step by step. My primary goal is to develop my thought process, be able to think(and vizualize) ranges during hands and generally get better day by day.
Im playing 2NL 6max regular tables (4 tables), trying to reach 25NL by the end of this year.
Most important i want to establish a study routine and any tips and "go to resources advice" is highly appreciated along with necessary criticism! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed in this regard, knowing how much is to be learned. Trying to connect the dots and find the right order so your help is essential.
I managed to play 2k hands since i started "the challange" yesterday and i noticed that im a nit ( my redline looks really bad too). Im overfolding and underbluffing in a big way :).

One hand example:

GGPoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.23 (62 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $1.91 (96 bb)
BB: $2.13 (107 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with 4 A
2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.05, SB calls $0.04, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.15) 9 9 J (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, SB folds

Turn: ($0.39) A (2 players)
BB bets $0.59, BU (Hero) folds

Total pot: $0.39 (Rake: $0.02)
BB wins $0.37

I assume his range :

Board: 9hJs9sAc

equity Win Tie
BU 64.33% 63.95% 0.38% { As4s }
BB 35.67% 35.29% 0.38% { QQ-JJ, 99, AJs, A9s, K9s+, Q8s+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, AQo-AJo, A9o, K9o+, QTo-Q9o, J9o+, T9o, 98o }

Am i optimistic with his range? If im calling the turn, even if i hit the spade i feel i can be dead and looking at the spr, im calling off his boats. I feel like im a big nit, but folding on this turn feels bad. For what is worth, i had 20 hands on the guy (15/15 VPIP). Anyway, just a hand example.

Looking forward to your suggestions. I can use any bit of help in this fun journey! Ty for reading! GL everyone !!

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Friend how are you? It's good that you're playing poker again, I also played it again this year. I also hope until the end of the year to achieve good results like the one you aspire to. From what I see in the hand you shared, it's not clear to me if the BB player was a regular, or what type of player he is. Because from what I understand of the hand, he wanted to exploit the A that falls on the turn because it's what the persive of the range you have, that's why he makes that movement or also a great Bluff. greetings

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
1.5x overbets on the turn are rare at 2NL, he could have QTss as a bluff but apart from that it's mostly 9x. Obviously if he is blasting every pot then he probably has more bluffs. I think the fold is good as you are not getting the pot odds to call and even if you hit a flush you could be losing anyway if he has a boat.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello guys!
Started playing online after long time, trying to enjoy the game once again. Also i want to take it slow, set a good foundation, feel comfortable at the tables and reignite the spark. My goal for the next few weeks is primarily work on preflop game, build a basic strategy that i understand and add stuff step by step. My primary goal is to develop my thought process, be able to think(and vizualize) ranges during hands and generally get better day by day.
Im playing 2NL 6max regular tables (4 tables), trying to reach 25NL by the end of this year.
Most important i want to establish a study routine and any tips and "go to resources advice" is highly appreciated along with necessary criticism! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed in this regard, knowing how much is to be learned. Trying to connect the dots and find the right order so your help is essential.
I managed to play 2k hands since i started "the challange" yesterday and i noticed that im a nit ( my redline looks really bad too). Im overfolding and underbluffing in a big way :).

View attachment 338020

One hand example:

GGPoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.23 (62 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $1.91 (96 bb)
BB: $2.13 (107 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with 4 A
2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.05, SB calls $0.04, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.15) 9 9 J (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, SB folds

Turn: ($0.39) A (2 players)
BB bets $0.59, BU (Hero) folds

Total pot: $0.39 (Rake: $0.02)
BB wins $0.37

I assume his range :

Board: 9hJs9sAc

Equity Win Tie
BU 64.33% 63.95% 0.38% { As4s }
BB 35.67% 35.29% 0.38% { QQ-JJ, 99, AJs, A9s, K9s+, Q8s+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, AQo-AJo, A9o, K9o+, QTo-Q9o, J9o+, T9o, 98o }

Am i optimistic with his range? If im calling the turn, even if i hit the spade i feel i can be dead and looking at the spr, im calling off his boats. I feel like im a big nit, but folding on this turn feels bad. For what is worth, i had 20 hands on the guy (15/15 VPIP). Anyway, just a hand example.

Looking forward to your suggestions. I can use any bit of help in this fun journey! Ty for reading! GL everyone !!
Hello there mate and thank you for posting. As others have said you are too much tight. And this hand you've played you should definitely called OTT. You had top pair plus a flush draw, unless villain had AA, 99 , JJ, J9 and A9 (which it would be a tragedy) we still had some equity. There are plenty of other hands on villain's range.
Continue to play tight but aggressively: avoid to call OOP, specially from the blinds. 3-bet more and avoid to 4-bet too much (at NLHE 2 players are too obvious, they barely 3-bet and when they do it, is for value).

natnit4life

natnit4life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Hay MDan,

Just keep playing as much as you can, I think you already have a good foundation and the more hands you play will help you in situations like the hand you posted.

I think they could be bluffing as they are betting so big, they could have a read on you that you are a nit and will fold to aggression, that's where playing more hands will help you.

I think of it like this, my stats sometimes look like theirs and although I might not over bet I would bet you down to the river thinking that you would most likely fold to me.

I now might start over betting Haha

Vs them -
I might have re raised all in on turn to their over bet just to see if they rely had it or just flat call to see what they do on the river, I might not be the best player to give advice but I have played many hands and seen a lot of crazy situation.

You are going to make mistakes, all the best do and they still do, they just make more good decisions than bad ones

You have said that you're playing 2NL, are you also playing the freerolls? They will definitely help build up your BR so play as many as you can ;)

Are you table selecting at 2NL? If not, do that Haha $$$

Also what is your bankroll and do you have good bankroll management?

GL at the tables & take care

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Am i optimistic with his range?
Yeah, there is a 9 (at least) for me. Some players, when they hit the board play exacly like this one - donk style. And this over bet (on the turn), makes me think that he only has one 9, he is afraid of something, most likely from the spades. (imo)
I feel like im a big nit,
I can be more nitty!
but folding on this turn feels bad.
I woud fold right on the flop - insta fold. I have neither a nine nor a jack. Mainly because the flush is dead on a pair board.
Ty for reading!
You are welcome!
GL everyone !!
I wish you succes at this!

(Just a note:

As mentioned above by a colleague; this open bet/raise (2.5BB) is an easy call - So even SB made a call. o_O I would like to make it at least 3 to 4BB for open, and if there is a (1) limper at least 7BB (imo). I wouldn't be surprised if the villain called with two napkins and a 9 on them, 93s :rolleyes: (imo). Nothing personal, but this open bet/raise (2.5BB) is too small for me.)

:)

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips

folding is always a good idea if you have a high probability of losing (considering a large over-bet). It's better to wait for a better opportunity

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Tight is right. At least at 2NL.