Some Bluffing Advice and 7,2

P

paradocks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed, I've come to quite enjoy the online freerolls there are and they definately have their own methods to go about playing, for a while I was thinking they are pretty much useless as someone commented but really it just requires a different approach, only if you're looking to improve your cash game skills then obviously freerolls are going to be useless and a waste of time. Freerolls are excellent if you want practice against weak players though, this may sound silly but with the poker boom and the popularity not stopping playing against weaker players is now a big part of the game and probably only going to get bigger. You're not only learning to play against weak players but also better understanding the raw poker psychology in the form of a fetus, fully undeveloped and unconditioned to the harsh realities.

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buffing thoughts

Poker is played at 3 levels.

1.) I play my cards.
2.) I play may cards, and I play your cards.
3.) I play my cards, I play your cards, and I play the cards you think I have.

Players at level 1, Can not be bluffed, as they do not consider your cards.

Players at level 2, can be bluffed, but your bluff will work slightly less often, than what you read in most books.

You need not worry about players at level 3, game recognizes game. There are enough games filled with Level 1 and level 2 players, that they will go find a different game.

If you do find level 3 players your bluffs will work against them, but theres will work against you.

One last thing do not get upset when you get your hand caught in the cookie jar. Abluff only needs to work usually about 2 in 10 times.

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi - Bill - I'm a #1 - on your list and play my own cards. But I think I can be bluffed sometimes by others so am I a #2? :)

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Michelle more depth

Lets operationally define a bluff.

A bluff is when a player gets another player to lay down the better hand.

If you have a better hand, in order to be bluffed then, you must be considering the other players cards. A player at level 2 has the insight to realize that his cards are vulnerable to certain holdings. This thought process is essential for you to try and bluff that player. A player at level 1 does not consider the vulnerability of his hand because he believes hands carry absolute value.

So, before bluffing, quickly ask yourself, is my opponent capable of putting me on a range of hands. This is the question that starts to bring you to level 3.

I actually, would love to start a new thread about the mathematics behind bluffing. Is anyone else interested?

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Bill - Thanks... I will use your suggestions. So my objective is to become a #3.
AND yes! do start a new thread on this.

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool I made a new thread. I was a bit hesitant, because the first thread I started got shot down. Folks thought I was promoting a site, or something.

Bill