• Total voters
starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to play the next 1000 hands on the button with J9s or in the small blind with AQs?

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
btn 4ever but AQ on the blinds is good too

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQs seems like a no brainer, even oop

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
even more so if its 6max or HU

S

spstevens

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough question but AQ is the answer here , either way you will lose though as once the table figures out you are a one trick pony your action dies and the bleeding starts.

C

CrossedLine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say AQ. Position is important but if you know what you have and your opponents will soon know exactly what you have, why does position matter?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be interested to see if anyone has played enough of these hands in these seats to provide a data-based answer.

Intuitively, I'd choose AQ. But part of my reasoning is that when I play cash, it's at pretty low levels where a sizable portion of my profitability comes from people making poor decisions. I'd guess that having more hand strength and thus being able to take more advantage of these decisions is more profitable, even oop. But it's a guess. I don't have enough data to draw a useful conclusion.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be interested to see if anyone has played enough of these hands in these seats to provide a data-based answer.

Intuitively, I'd choose AQ. But part of my reasoning is that when I play cash, it's at pretty low levels where a sizable portion of my profitability comes from people making poor decisions. I'd guess that having more hand strength and thus being able to take more advantage of these decisions is more profitable, even oop. But it's a guess. I don't have enough data to draw a useful conclusion.
I've got about 300 examples of each and for me AQs in the SB is about a 95 BB/100 winner. J9s from the BTN wins at 155 BB/100. I've always had an issue overplaying AQ so it could be that it's just me? I voted J9s from the BTN before looking at my db.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wv is that excluding times you folded pre?

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1

If the table is full of fish who call everything, a better hand would probably be more profitable than the button position.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think there are a lot of variables.. Such as players at the table and where they are at the table.. the action ahead of you from both the SB and the BTN, without knowing all this information it is impossible to really give an answer..

If I'm on the BTN and it folds around to me and I got two tight players on the SB and BB they are probably just going to fold unless they have a hand..

and so many other possibilities

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
502k hands database (2NL - 25NL):

AQs in SB (178 hands) = + 60 bb/100
J9s in BTN (203 hands) = + 154 bb/100

But to be fair many other hands can win in BTN simply by blind stealing and cbetting with air.

AQs in SB has much less FE and worse implied odds.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small sample 100 hand each but.

700+bb/100 hands for my AQs in SB but my J9s sucks at -40bb/100 from the btn.

I choose AQ

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely it depends on who else is at the table. Our PF ranges should be determined by who is at the table and how they are most likely to react.

J9s OTB with a 70/10/0 in the BB is much different from J9s OTB with two 24/20/9 regs in the blinds.

We should be profiting with these hands in these particular positions regardless. Just how much we profit depends on our villains though.

So the answer is, as always "it depends".

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely it depends on who else is at the table. Our PF ranges should be determined by who is at the table and how they are most likely to react.

J9s OTB with a 70/10/0 in the BB is much different from J9s OTB with two 24/20/9 regs in the blinds.

We should be profiting with these hands in these particular positions regardless. Just how much we profit depends on our villains though.

So the answer is, as always "it depends".

Come on, stop the rhetoric and pick one already

Lemme help you out? which one would you choose in a field of unknowns?

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My two penneth.

AQs SB 208 hands 132bb/100
J9s BTN 203 hands -38bb/100 (lolwhat!?)

Didn't expect to see J9s fairing quite that badly OTB, but it is a small sample obv.

I play 6max exclusively, and obv position matters, but I think I still prefer AQs in the SB given no other information about the table.

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go with AQ too here, I seldom open or call with J9 from anywhere Im sitting.