Slow playing ... for or against?.

M

mitchellz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seldom slow play, the donks seem to always suck out the river. I make them pay to catch that river suckout. I might slow play after the flop, but not pre flop, never know what the flop will bring!!

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, it's really not about the kind of cards you are playing but the players you are playing against. For me, sitting in a table of loose-aggressive players is practically a dream opportunity to slow play just about anything.
I will play tight and make some folds to raises to get the table image of a weak player on checks. There is nothing I love more than having the aggressive players try and walk all over me when i have a monster hand

N

NewHill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happens to everyone

I think you can second guess yourself about every play you make whether you get the chips or not.He played the hand very well and you just have to tip your hat to him.Just remember next time to be suspicious,maybe check the turn and see if your opponent magically fires into you on the river.More often then not it's going to be a value bet if he's got it and an outragous amount if he doesn't.

P

plainluck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't slow play pre-flop. If you have a high PP, in my opinion, you have nothing. A decent bet should hopefully eliminate most of the competition who will beat you with a 2-3 off. Slow play after that , of course, depends on the flop.

danny021

danny021

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to consider what type of player you play

R

royalflush525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I also switch it up it really depends on how the other people r playing, you know them who go allin on nothing and hav the luck of drawing on there crapie cards but thats them lucky asses and that usualy dont last long as they always loose in the end. but even when you have a pr As or face card pr it just depends on the other persons playing they may call you even though its not right, They fell lucky or I'v been told 78 suited r my fav cards and i never loose on them. so I hav found that a person is going to play the way they play and hopfully i get on a table with people who play with some kind of sence. good luck at the tables.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think slow playing is best when you can be confident your hand is very strong. I don't like to slow play pocket pairs because it is too easy for someone to hang around and get 2 pair or better. I usually only slow play if I have a straight or better after the flop. The biggest risk I encounter is ending up with a small pot. I'm always hoping someone will catch a decent hand so they bet big.

G

GivenWings

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all of the responses everyone!.

B

blackknite123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find that when i slow play certain hands it gets me in trouble at showdown time...i dont wanna call someone down with two pair and then find he made a straight on the turn or river and figuring i couldve got the person out if i bet or raised him on the flop. its frustrating cause i find that on online poker, you cant really slow play a hand unless you flop a monster hand.

G

GoodWoodRR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are usually two things that happen when u slow play. One, your opponent's hand catches up to yours and you stack off. Two, your opponent becomes suspicious and you don't get paid.

Bet it out. The only way i slow play is if I flop quads or the nut flush or a full house. Even then I will at the very least min bet the turn.

A

apovieira

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are against a agressive player and in early position slowplay could be a good strategy. I've won large pots with that strategy.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agreed

if i slow play pocket aa i always seem to lose. i would rather lose with a big pre-flop bet :eek:.

unless the blinds aren't worth stealing, just go all in with pocket aces

cmberman87

cmberman87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the slow play when there is a maniac at the table over betting for me, but have also been burnt this way by the flush/str8.
Weird that you say that...I thought I was slow playing and in turn GAVE someone their straight-flush :) It sucked. No more slow play for me.:)

L

leafhazard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow Play

Slow playing can help you alot it's just sometimes you have to know when to stop and start pounding the bets.

Razor_King

Razor_King

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a fan of slowplaying, i think its great to trap people although one thing.
If say i had AA and the flop was
A 2 9 when the 2 and the 9 are hearts i would resort to playing aggressive to get flush draws out. Same if there are open enders out their. I tend to try and slow play things like sets and hope that the other guy trys to steal it off me.

Also i check very quickly because according to many sources it shows weakness.

RK

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play slowly, I think a strategy very interesting, but it has the right time to run it, when I'm near a premiation or when I am very tired, I think it is a tactic, we can do this
to obtain better results. But I am against players who are playing slow any time since harm the course of the game, hampering other players that may want to recover the number of
Tournament chips:)

shammalamma

shammalamma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SOMETIMES slow-playing can pay off, if you have tedious notes on a guy being a seriously aggressive better with weak hands.. especially late in tourney play or heads up, but as GoodWood said above, your opponent often gets suspicious (wouldnt you get suspicious on a check-raise or check-bet?). In ring games or early in a tournament, forget it.. It's only relevant when you flop the ultra nuts and youre very certain your opponents have hands that can't out-draw you.

M

marcel_15

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand well and that it was just bad luck to walk against top set in heads-up. Slow playing a hand is definitely a dangerous way to play a hand because you're allowing the opponent to draw out on you. The best way to slow play a hand is if you're heads-up, you're positive that you have the best hand and the board's not scary.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I no longer slow play ACES been nailed by str8s. if someone slowplays me i find a hand to slow play them point in case, i got slow played by a full house so i repayed him by slow playing a full house on him.
full house slow play yes
4 of a kind slow play yes
AA or KK no

G

Golo32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowplaying in the right situation

Slowplay or not to slowplay all depends on the situation. If your playing against an overagressive player, the slow play is usually the best bet. They will try to throw large bets on the table in an effort to make their hand look stronger and force you out. Say you slow play a pocket pair and catch a set on the flop, or play suited connectors and catch the straight or flush. A slow play here should lead to a big pot in this situation. They may take your checks as weakness and bet big. However slow playing against a patient player generally tends not to work because they usually play smart and won't put their money on the table in a bad situation. Slow playing against them could be the exact opposite, especially if you catch a set and allow them to chase down a backdoor flush or straight, you could lose all your chips in one hand. Its best to recognize the type of player your against and choose your play wisely.

p215j

p215j

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow playing online is a mistake because imo it's rigged for action & simply won't allow it. I hate that!

I play live almost every single weekend at Ceasars, Borgata or Tropicana in Atlantic City & I slow play a ton to get paid off.

Only rarely does it bite me in the butt live, maybe 5% of the time, whereas online it happens constantly approx 85% of the time. Ridiculous.

J

jjudy49

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems when I try to slow play someone manages to out draw my hand so what may have started as a winning suddenly isn't.

lrrpk9

lrrpk9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I caught a guy last night in a FT free roll he was the big stack at the table , when there were only limpers in front of him in late position or in the blinds he would push all in and pick up an uncontested pot (every one would fold).So I waited and waited and finally picked up KK in middle position limper in front of me, I limp , limper behind he of course pushs all in. My kings hold up and I double up so sweet.But I have had a bad time slow playing when I flop a set at the low levels and free rolls to many people chase to the river and make straight or flush.

K

keekon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love slow playing when I do the slow play, but hate when it is done to me lol. When I slow play and I hit a set and chack and I get the others to bite there is no better feeling. Sorry though it happened to you.

chipeverett

chipeverett

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to try and slow play a lot, until I realized that it was making me cry more than fly. All you are doing is allowing someone with a nominal drawing hand to potentially improve their hand, and then send ya packing.