Showdown percentage

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing 18 or 27 seat S&G play money tournaments on pokerstars.

One thing I've noted is that my winning percentage at showdowns always seems high, as in greater than 50%, as in sometimes 60% or even 70%. Since in all showdowns there are 2 people, and sometimes more, I keep thinking that my percentage should be lower, maybe 40%. Mind you, this percentage is from the mid stages of the tourney, as by the time I get to the final table the game is usually progressing faster so I'm not so bored and am not checking my stats anymore.

So I wonder whether my showdown winning percentage indicates I am being chased out of too many showdowns. On the other hand, maybe because of this tight winning percentage, I usually have about as many unchallenged pot wins as showdown wins.

Anyone else regularly check their showdown percentages?

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My showdowns Won percentage is normally 80-100%...

normally 90%+ unless I am doing badly.

I tend to get out of pots that I dont think I have won, but that doesnt mean I fold fold fold either.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow! My W$SD% is usually around 45-55. Do I suck?

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not sure if we are all talking about the same #?

Im playing on PP and the statistics number that shows up is showdowns won %, right now for example, im in a tourney, and it is 83%

Im dont doing too well, but Im not playing a ton of hands either.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The percentage on PS is showdowns won/showdowns that I was involved in.

I realize that to win you aren't trying to win pots, but rather money, but still, if there has to be a minimum of two players in each showdown, and often there's more, the average player's showdown percentage should be less than 50%.

That being said, maybe cardchat players are better than the average player.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is what he was talking about, and mine usually gets as low as 75%, the example shown is the beginning of the SnG and I haven't hit a hand yet.
The showdown % refers to how many times you win at a showdown, so say if you had 4 showdowns(doesn't matter how many others are in it)and you win 3, thats 75%.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 68
NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, that's what I mean.

5th hand, and nobody's gone all in yet?

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mine's usually 90% or so, but I play fairly tight. There's probably an optimum figure that's less than 100%. If you're too near 100% you're probably getting bluffed a lot, or not bluffing enough yourself.

The Stats box in partypoker is always wrong, I've noticed.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It may surprise you to learn that the optimum number for limit hold 'em is somewhere around 55%. Anyone care to guess as to why it isn't higher? :)

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It may surprise you to learn that the optimum number for limit hold 'em is somewhere around 55%. Anyone care to guess as to why it isn't higher? :)
Because there's usually more players at showdown in Limit. More players equals stronger hands having diminished odds of winning.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it cos Limit is for losers? :dontknow:

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If the betting PF went to 2 or 3 bets and the following streets are kept to one bet per round and there are many people in the pot, you usually have odds to call if chasing.
Also, with a weaker hand and only one other player, you can keep it down to one bet per street and have odds to call your middle pair to the river.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, it's because a river bet in limit hold 'em will usually be fairly small in comparison to the pot. In no-limit, you can bet the pot, or more, and effectively offer the person who can decide to fold or call odds of 2:1. That way, he needs to have the best hand at least one time out of three in order to be profitable. For limit, the pot odds will invariably be better than that, so the odds you're getting will be better, and you would be wrong to fold.

Extreme example:

If I know that there's exactly a 10% chance that you're bluffing the river, and the river is 11 big bets, I must call you every time. My winning percentage at showdown will be 10% (very low) but I will be making money. The larger the pot, the less often we need to be right. Having 100% at this statistic means that we're folding winning hands WAY too often. Way, way, way too often.