Show the bluff?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to show the bluff because it takes away the opportunity to bluff from time to time. I like to establish a tight image. This helps the bluff work and has even allowed me to keep my big blind. For some reason unknown to me I have noticed that when I have that image established others don't like either raising my blinds or calling them.
^^^This is the main reason why you should never show your bluff, I follow this as a personal rule of mine.
I want my bets to be respected, and by not showing bluffs and going to showdown with srong hands gives your later bluffs more respect.

D

Danzafan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its almost never good to show your cards except for when you have too. Unless you are playing against players that don't know what they're doing you should never show the bluff. A good poker player will not get fooled on a second bluff.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It always depends on the situation. I have only showed bluffs when I intend not to bluff the rest of the game. If you happen to show a bluff & then l8r on down the road continue to bluff then don't get upset when some1 calls you w/ A high on the river when they think you're bluffin' & end up winnin' the hand.

L

Lolita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show them. A tutorial video once taught me that it's good to show cards if you have high cards and play really aggressive so you can bluff more easily (because they think you only play high cards), but I never ever do it.

I 'm not interested in bluffed cards, so I think others aren't either.

U

UrBluffingMe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, it's great to confuse your opponent. plus it makes your opponents feel like shit when they realized they made a bad fold and puts them off their game.
Honestly, I think this one of the very very few times I will show a bluff. If I know my opponent has the tendency to tilt and he thinks for a good amount of time and then folds, I know he had something. I'll show him just to let him know he made the wrong decision, not to alter my table image.

You should keep in mind that I bluff a lot. Whether it be with Cbets or when I sense weakness, I bet and raise a lot. So, people instinctively know I bluff a lot anyway. I don't need to show my cards to let them know why, how, or how much I bet.

As a rule of thumb I like to follow, I don't do anything in particular to purposely alter my table image. I try to determine what my image is naturally and benefit from that. I play the players at my table and I alter my play according they and their styles. In general, if the table is loose, I will tighten up. If the table is tight, I will loosen up, etc... THEN, I try to THINK about how the table naturally sees me. The individual players matter a lot too. If you show your cards, remember, you show everybody. Some players you want to know you bluff, but some you don't. Some players will let you cbet bluff them all night long and never give resistance unless they make a hand. I don't want that guy to know I am bluffing him.

K

KingTurd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't usually show my bluffs unless i take a gigantic pot down to the river and i can count on it putting them on tilt. i do show hands when i have the nuts when there wasn't betting at all or very little of it.
For instance i am the big blind and flop two pair and i bet the minimum and everyone folds. i will show it because i'm giving away very little and it gives the illusion that i am making hands.
this sets me up for the bluffs while not letting them know too much of my style.

G

gomango

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love to show a good bluff. Just to piss them off. LOL but I muck if I lose a bluff and on ubet it is tough to go to hand history and play at the same time.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My cards are only shown on pay-per-view.

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What poker sites let you see the other guys hole cards after the hand?!?!:confused:
Even if you can "see last hand" they shouldn't let you see the other guys cards!

That should NEVER happen, they gotta PAY to see! I hope you are mistaken, but, if not, tell me what poker site that is.

....... I personally always use the last hand feature just out of curiousity, so whether they show their cards or not, i know what they had.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't usually show my losing bluffs, but I can see where it could be useful. I'm still working on locking my main strategy down right now though. I don't bluff often because I don't really want break off of my game that much. I vary my play quite a bit, but I'm just not at the point of bluffing to make chips right now.

katharine

katharine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What Poker sites let you see the other guys hole cards after the hand?!?!:confused:
Even if you can "see last hand" they shouldn't let you see the other guys cards!

That should NEVER happen, they gotta PAY to see! I hope you are mistaken, but, if not, tell me what poker site that is.

You can do this at every site. bodog, poker stars, absolute, carbon, UB, full tilt.

However, it's only mucked cards, not folded cards.

If you get called and win the hand, and then the player mucks, you can see what the player lost with.

But, for instance if the player decides not to call a hand and folds, you can't see those hole cards and they can't see yours.

But checking mucked cards is actually a great way to pick up info about a players betting pattern. (I.e was he spewing chips with only top pair, low kicker, when you had the nuts, etc.)

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Bluff?

The ONLY time I'll show the bluff is if I've WON the hand! And then only occasionaly. I, to, see no reason to show if it's a looser!

U

UrBluffingMe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what the heck does winning or losing have to do with whether or not you show? You are still giving away valuable information about how you play.

S

Stefan_m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO.

I have never showed my cards, nor I will, simply cause they need to pay if they want information. Some poker players tend to show cards and then switch to anther style, but in my opinion this could be easily read.

Remember, nothing is free in this world, not even giving your opponents information about your game ! :D

U

UrBluffingMe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think too that when you show cards to induce a certain table image, you are assuming much. You assume what your image is to the other players at the table and you assume that your actions will make your opponent think one thing or the other. The fact is you have no clue what your opponents think of what you play or how you play them. SO DONT GIVE THEM A FREE HEADS UP!!!!

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think too that when you show cards to induce a certain table image, you are assuming much. You assume what your image is to the other players at the table and you assume that your actions will make your opponent think one thing or the other. The fact is you have no clue what your opponents think of what you play or how you play them. SO DONT GIVE THEM A FREE HEADS UP!!!!

This works with the average Joe, but I think it works much less when I've played against a certain opponent several times and have him/her marked a certain way. If I know that they are typically a loose player and they are tight today I might try to steal from them more often. Then if I'm caught in a bluff, I can show it to make them open up a bit more and send some chips my way.

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never show a bluff because ... i t be dangerous to bluff again
the outher players in table can not think .. that was a bluff
and dont give us this information

iamays

iamays

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether or not to show your bluffed hand is really a situational strategy. I think it's best to give your opponents as little information about your playing style as possible, unless you're deliberately setting them up in the future with a false table image.

kevinfromhb

kevinfromhb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I think that showing a bluff on a rare occasion may be to your benefit. The people at the table, at least for the next 10 hands (attention at on-line tournaments don't seem to last that long) will think you're full of it, and when you do get a nutz hand and raise, they will call and be in the trap. But on most occasions, especially if your hands are cold, and you were using a bluff to try and shake something loose, and you don't expect better hands any time soon...DO NOT SHOW! Let them figure you did bluff, or maybe they will figure you just had a little lessor hand. Keep your opponents guessing.

rcman1980

rcman1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that if u want to show your cards it only when u played hand that u
usually dont play.....
but if someone want to see your cards let them pay......
no free information here ......

U

UrBluffingMe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This works with the average Joe, but I think it works much less when I've played against a certain opponent several times and have him/her marked a certain way. If I know that they are typically a loose player and they are tight today I might try to steal from them more often. Then if I'm caught in a bluff, I can show it to make them open up a bit more and send some chips my way.
This is exactly what I am talking about. You are concentrating on one player and giving the whole table information just so you can show this one guy, who may or may not be even paying attention to you, that you bluff.

T

teksmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its bad strategy to show a bluff unless you don't intend to bluff again later. The purpose would be to give the impression that you are a bluffer and to encourage people to call you. You wouldn't want callers later if you choose to bluff again.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is exactly what I am talking about. You are concentrating on one player and giving the whole table information just so you can show this one guy, who may or may not be even paying attention to you, that you bluff.

Well, in most cases, if that one player isn't paying attention then I doubt the others are either. And my game is pretty tight without a lot of bluffing anyway. So I'm not afraid to show anybody any of my bluffs. This information will only help me in the long run because I bluff so little.

If, because I show, the whole table pays attention and thinks I'm a bluffer then I'm okay with that. Then, when I get those pocket K's or A's I can get some action out of a large bet.

P.S. I do know that this goes 100% against what my signature says! LOL

z28_RoadRage

z28_RoadRage

Road Warrior
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never show a bluff, but I have shown some winning hands.

One turny I won 4 hands in a row showing the 4th hand that was folded to me (previous 3 went to showdown). Next hand I came out with the same raise as previous 4 and buddy types in saying he's calling my bluff as I couldn't have that many premium hands in a row. We get it all-in and I won with pp K's. Every hand I went into after (until I was moved), was folded to me without showing.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually, I only show a bluff if I want to change my table image. If the players see me as a thght/aggressive player, showing them a bluff will change that. Other than that, I usually don't show.