F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
twizzybop said:
Granted it may not fit the description but it is a viable tactic that has been and used by plenty of hyper aggresive folks. We folks at CC aren't the only ones learning and playing the game as well. Just because someone plays a certain way doesn't mean he/she won't switch in mid-stream. It can/has and does happen.
Certainly. But if you have a read, stick with it, and alter it if you find he has the capability of being tricky. I have yet to find a reason to believe this read is incorrect, and I'm not going to alter my gameplan due to paranoia.

What? You must not have understood: He raises on average about 30% of his preflop hands. How many of those hands do you think have me beat right now?
At least 60-65% of that 30%.
Incorrect. I think we've found the source of the problem.

Yeah until he does turn over the A,10.. K,10.. Q,10.. High pocket pair and then you look like an amateur cause you didn't take into account every possible strategy/skill he has in his repetoire. Then the assumption that it is indeed a steal will make you look foolish.
Yet it isn't even a steal if he does bet(then it becomes a value bet) and value bets aren't even a steal.
I don't mind looking like an "amateur," as long as I show long term profit. Even the worst maniac on the planet gets dealt pocket aces from time to time. But I'm not going to play suboptimally because of paranoia.

Does "how will it make you look if you lose" actually factor in to this discussion, to you?
Yes until he re-raised for either the A,10 or any A X card. You can't determine yet if he has A,10 or A X just because he called your re-raise on the flop. Right now again you are betting into him, if he was betting into you it would be a diffrent story. Position here is the key and in this scenario you don't have it.
Since you think that 65% of his hands are better than mine, I can understand your reasoning. However, 65% of his holdings are not better than mine; this is where your mistake lies.

I read it all just fine, I just don't get into hope/wish/luck pissing contests very often at all especially when I am 1st to act. That is why I love this hyper aggresive person, he has you by the nuts because he has position.
Being that one must need a good hand to come out of the BB while acting 1st which in your case you didn't have a good hand. You shown that by calling his pre-flop raise. Yet you only shown that you have paired the 10 which now your weakness (pre-flop call)shows that you don't have a greak kicker for that 10. It is an easy read on the player who is in the blinds(that didn't show strength by re-raising pre-flop) . Now the hyper-aggresive player who's in position has a read on you which is much better then having a read on the cards. Something you need to work on, reading the player and not the board. Stop stereo typing players.. Yes we can label one as hyper-aggresive, passive aggresive, a rock, et-cetra. Yet to discount that they can change strategy in the middle of any hand is to believe they only play one certain way(Period). The saying goes "Mix it up" so those who are labeled as such, I am sure as well also "Mix it up".
What good are reads if you discard them? Sure people can "mix it up," but you're suggesting that I pay no attention to labels that people have deserved, while simultaneously claiming that I should "read the player and not the cards" while simultaneously saying that my hand is not good enough to play out of the BB.

Yet it isn't always the way with a hyper-aggresive player. Keep generalizing and stereo typing those players, to constantly think that is the way they always play is stereo typing. Even a rock can all of a sudden become the hyper-aggresive. Now if the hyper-aggresive has changed in this hand, then what you going to think?
It will definatly throw you off your game into again guessing what hands he may or may not have.
And he would have earned himself a new note in the long list of the ones I already had on him: "can be tricky." But before he shows that he's capable of it, I won't discard what I know about him due to paranoia.

If you, in limit shorthanded poker, do not raise when you think you have the better hand, you're missing out on a lot of profit. If he thought I was just bluffing, this would be an okay way to play it. But why would he think that? If he believes me when I tell him I have a top pair, he also knows I'll be forced to call a raise from him. Not raising is terrible.
I don't need to think, I know when I have the better hand. I don't pussy foot around, slow play, check raise. No fancy pants play here.. Either you have the hand or your don't, throw out the occasional bluff(semi bluff), feeler bet to see where everyone stands. I told you plenty of times, one must pay to beat me. If I am beat and I know it.. no need to screw around and try to outbeat someone when there are plenty of other battles/times I can outbeat them.
I have no idea how your answer ties in to what I wrote.

And again I have to ask: What does "hyper aggressive" describe to you?
Any 2 Card player, which we shouldn't discount that he doesn't have any other skills or strategies in his repetoire.
For the third time in the same post, I will point out that I do not trust paranoia to guide my way of playing. Reads and probabilities do the trick for me. It's worked so far.

Don't give generalized advice that in no way takes into account who you're playing against. If a rock had raised, I would have folded. I've folded much stronger hands than this in the big blind.
Are you not wasting money on a marginal hand? Last I recalled 10,8 is marginal, so yes it takes into full account who you are playing against. A marginal hand is a marginal hand no matter how you try to slice and dice it.
I was not wasting money on a marginal hand. I was making money on a marginal hand; I have the best hand 3 times out of 4 on this flop (I'll show you further down). Did you somewhere get the idea that I lost this pot? Not that it matters whether I won it or lost it, but you keep confidently claiming that he must have had a better hand, and I don't know what gives you that idea.

I never said you have to have a monster hand. Just a little more the marginal will do especially when you are 1st to act.
Where do you draw the line?

In closing: There are 1300 possible starting hands. My read (and it's a fairly solid one) suggests that he raises on average 30% of them. That's 450 hands. You claim that 65% of these (about 300) have me beat on this flop, and try as you might, AA-TT, AT-9T, 55, 22, T5, T2, does not sum up to 300. To sum up:

AA-JJ: 6*4 = 24 hands.
TT: 1 hand (only two remaining 10s)
AT-9T: 8*6 = 48
55, 22: 6*2 = 12 hands.
T5, T2: 4+4 = 8
52: 6

Sum: 99.
94/450 = 0.22.

He has me beat on this flop 22% of the time.

And that's not even taking into account the fact that the 30% preflopraise stat is adjusted for ALL positions, and that he (if he has any knowledge) would be a lot more open to raise with weaker holdings on the button. And it's not even taking into account that he would want to isolate the limper! And I'm even allowing the possibility for T5, T2, 52 - hands that shouldn't be in his preflop raise range even if it was 50%.

No, Twizzy, he does not have a better hand than me 65% of the times on this flop.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wasn't going to bother, but I finally gave in and I looked up Sklansky's word on hands that can be played out of the big blind - and 10-8 is listed.

Can we let the preflop play go now, please, and focus on the interesting move - the river?

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In closing: There are 1300 possible starting hands. My read (and it's a fairly solid one) suggests that he raises on average 30% of them. That's 450 hands.

Ummmm learn your math 1st before we go any further. 450 hands is not 30%
Try 390 hands before you speak.. which now at 65% of those hands are..
Now 39 hands is 10% X 6= 234 hands.. and 14.5 hands cause that is 5%.. you have 248.5 hands.

99/390= 3.939393.. so now you are almost a coin toss against him. You still willing to play with a marginal hand on a close coin toss?

And that's not even taking into account the fact that the 30% preflopraise stat is adjusted for ALL positions
Yes so for all you know he could even have the straight, don't know if a possible flush because you didn't say anything about the last 2 cards.

Now you ask where do I draw the line? I little more then a coin toss.. I prefer to be about 70/30 instead of 60/40 or 50/50.. That is why I don't pussy foot, play fancy at 70/30.. Yes I get callers and that is what I love about being at 70/30.. Even better when I am 80/20 and they are betting into me..

I will agree that you do have potential to win this hand. However I just prefer to play hyper-aggresive players with a higher % hand to win.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't going to bother, but I finally gave in and I looked up Sklansky's word on hands that can be played out of the big blind - and 10-8 is listed

Yet you forgot to mention of how many players are at the table about when it can be played.

Can:Used to indicate possibility or probability.. it is possible and probable but so can't the other 1399 hands be possible and probable to be played out of the big blind.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a lesson in distinguishing tournament strategy from cash game strategy.

twizzybop said:
Now you ask where do I draw the line? I little more then a coin toss.. I prefer to be about 70/30 instead of 60/40 or 50/50.. That is why I don't pussy foot, play fancy at 70/30.. Yes I get callers and that is what I love about being at 70/30.. Even better when I am 80/20 and they are betting into me..

In early tournament play this is fine, because the blinds are small and tournament EV applies (that is, doubling up has less positive value than going bust has negative value). But, and this is the crux of the matter that you are missing, cash games are all about pushing small edges. If you go bust, you reload, but if you're getting your money in as a 60/40 favourite in the long run you will come out on top as long as you're managing your bankroll correctly. Waiting for better situations is somewhat akin to putting a big sticker on your forehead saying "Please steal my blinds and bluff me off hands".

I'll let FP deal with your flawed maths, as I can't be arsed.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll let FP deal with your flawed maths, as I can't be arsed

My flawed math..

Lets do it then.. what is 30% of 1300 hands? Last I recalled 390 hands...

Don't see after that how it becomes flawed.. 65% of 390 hands is?? once again 248.5 hands out of 390. Which he even says 99 hands have him beat.. just for sake of easy math. so 99/390 is 3.939393 (which I did on a calculator just for you)... take the decimal point and move it over to make a %.. that gives you 40% rounding up, 39% if you wish to round down. Yet in actuality it would be 39.3% so we could even say 39.5% to round to a nice neat #. Yet the 3.939393 is actually infinate..

So if you could actually find any real flaws in that by all means knock yourself out. My math has always been good, only thing I am really great at.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Address the substantial part of my post as opposed to just ignoring it and picking on my little asides, thanks.

Edit: I think my chat here says it best, if you really want to get picky.

[21:08] <Qhr1s0> what the ****
[21:08] <Qhr1s0> is he talking about
[21:08] <Qhr1s0> i mean really
[21:09] <Qhr1s0> what
[21:09] <Qhr1s0> the
[21:09] <Qhr1s0> ****
[21:09] <Qhr1s0> i love it how he jumped on that 30%
[21:09] <tenbob> lol
[21:09] <Qhr1s0> when you said "on average 30%"
[21:09] <Qhr1s0> and hyperaggro is on button with a weak limper
[21:10] <tenbob> planet earth rocks
[21:10] <Qhr1s0> HMM I WONDER IF THAT 30% MIGHT GO UP
[21:10] <Qhr1s0> AND THEREFORE ALL YOUR "MATHS" ARE IRRELEVANT

"Flawed" was probably a bad choice of word (though I have no idea what exactly you're trying to prove with 'pure' maths in a highly situational spot like this). I much prefer "irrelevant".

Edit: Oh wait, it's flawed too, loooool.

Last edited:
F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
twizzybop said:
In closing: There are 1300 possible starting hands. My read (and it's a fairly solid one) suggests that he raises on average 30% of them. That's 450 hands.

Ummmm learn your math 1st before we go any further. 450 hands is not 30%
Try 390 hands before you speak.. which now at 65% of those hands are..
Now 39 hands is 10% X 6= 234 hands.. and 14.5 hands cause that is 5%.. you have 248.5 hands.

99/390= 3.939393.. so now you are almost a coin toss against him. You still willing to play with a marginal hand on a close coin toss?
Sorry, you're right. That's 390 hands. 398, if you want to get technical, as there are 52!/2! different possible starting hands.

There rest of this, I have no idea what you're trying to show, except that I see you're still stuck on the number 65%, which you're going to have to explain to me how you come up with. Do you claim that there are more hands possible that can beat mine on that flop than the ones I counted? Seriously, list the hands that can beat me. I did - and they add upp to 94.

And Twizzy, skip the snide remarks about "learning my math." It doesn't help your case, and frankly makes you look silly.

Furthermore, I'll put money on a cointoss any day of the week, as long as I'm 51-49. Hell, there's dead money in this hand; I'll go at it as a slight underdog, too. Exploiting small edges is the name of the game in limit poker. Fortunately, in this hand, I'm not a slight underdog. I'm ahead 76% of the time (not 78% - thanks for pointing out my mistake).

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waiting for better situations is somewhat akin to putting a big sticker on your forehead saying "Please steal my blinds and bluff me off hands".

That is the flaw in your game. Always trying to steal the blinds of someone who "Lets" you for a bit until they constantly come over the top of you which then you will have to wonder what they got.

That is the wonder about playing cards.. let someone think they have the better of you for a bit, then you come back and stomp them.

Stereo typing someone "big sticker on head, one can steal blinds" is typical.

That is why I love switching my game around now so much.

Once you start labeling me as a certain way, I will toss something new into the mix.

I want you to label me as something, calling station, one who doesn't defend his blinds, one who doesn't play alot out of the small blinds, one who constantly bets the pot, one who only pre-flop raises with premium hands, and one who limps with AX suited. I love to get people thinking I do the same ol' same ol''... then when you do something diffrent out of the ordinary, there goes that label you allready have me pegged for.

Peg me with that certain style or that I like these 2 cards or those 2 cards.

If I can do such things.. I would tend to expect that others shall as well.
Yes I can label you as such but the possibility of you changing out of the blue will always be there. So I keep that in my mind as well when I am up against those I have labeled.

But to be honest here.. if you think you have the best hand on the river here. Then bet it and if a raise comes along re-raise until it becomes capped off. If caution isn't going to be thrown to the wind.. then bet it like you own it. That would be the best possiblity of taking it completly down without a fight from the aggresive person.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
twizzybop said:
I'll let FP deal with your flawed maths, as I can't be arsed

My flawed math..

Lets do it then.. what is 30% of 1300 hands? Last I recalled 390 hands...

Don't see after that how it becomes flawed.. 65% of 390 hands is?? once again 248.5 hands out of 390. Which he even says 99 hands have him beat.. just for sake of easy math. so 99/390 is 3.939393 (which I did on a calculator just for you)... take the decimal point and move it over to make a %.. that gives you 40% rounding up, 39% if you wish to round down. Yet in actuality it would be 39.3% so we could even say 39.5% to round to a nice neat #. Yet the 3.939393 is actually infinate..

So if you could actually find any real flaws in that by all means knock yourself out. My math has always been good, only thing I am really great at.
99/390 is hardly a number larger than 1, let alone 3.9.

Check your calculator.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think my chat here says it best, if you really want to get picky.
I only picked to set it straight.. 30% of 1300 hands is 390 not the 460 so specified. I took a guesstimate out of my head saying that 65% of that 30% is what I thought would beat this hand in particular. I didn't do any of the math to be specific about 65%, it was an acutally guesstimate. A little off granted of about 25%.. but still either way of 60/40 in Freak's favor or my guesstimate of 65/35 the hyper aggresive player.. it is almost a coin toss.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And if you change that to a %.. .10 is 10% last I recalled.. and when you move the decimal point over from 3.9.. you get .39 makes that 39%

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Serious question. What limits do you play, and do you seriously think people are paying enough attention to your play to make "changing it up" +EV as opposed to just playing standardly?

2) You still haven't addressed this. As usual, once one of your arguments has become derailed, you conveniently ignore all points relating to it, and go off on a tangent.

In early tournament play this is fine, because the blinds are small and tournament EV applies (that is, doubling up has less positive value than going bust has negative value). But, and this is the crux of the matter that you are missing, cash games are all about pushing small edges. If you go bust, you reload, but if you're getting your money in as a 60/40 favourite in the long run you will come out on top as long as you're managing your bankroll correctly.

Furthermore, I'll put money on a cointoss any day of the week, as long as I'm 51-49. Hell, there's dead money in this hand; I'll go at it as a slight underdog, too. Exploiting small edges is the name of the game in limit poker. Fortunately, in this hand, I'm not a slight underdog. I'm ahead 76% of the time (not 78% - thanks for pointing out my mistake).

I really don't know why FP and I are trying to educate you, as you are a very stubborn, unwilling student (here's the one line you can reply to while ignoring my actual points, enjoy!)

Much love,

~ Chris

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
twizzybop said:

And if you change that to a %.. .10 is 10% last I recalled.. and when you move the decimal point over from 3.9.. you get .39 makes that 39%
No, that's not how you calculate percentages.

You can't just move the decimal point.

99/390 = 0.25. There's no moving of the decimal point anywhere. 0.25 = 25%.

You put in 390/99, which is how many times 99 fits into 390. But that has nothing to do with percentages.

Edit: And that makes your 65% number off by a whole lot. Now do you agree with my postflop play?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:

twizzybop said:

This is my new favourite topic ever. According to your maths, 1 is 10,000% of 1,000, which is pretty interesting.

twizzybop said:
Ummmm learn your math 1st before we go any further.

Last edited:
twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Serious question. What limits do you play, and do you seriously think people are paying enough attention to your play to make "changing it up" +EV as opposed to just playing standardly?

All it takes is 1,2 or even 3 people to pay attention to me. Even you have now.. you have me labled as a calling station, won't fight for the blinds type of person.

The whole game is based on strategy. Let others know your strategy and a strategy to let others think they know this strategy.

I will sometimes play 4-6 hands straight in a row when I 1st sit at a table and 4-6 times I will be as tight as a rock. Long as I have 1 person's attention cause I know you won't get everyones.

Yes I will agree 60/40 is good long term but again my prefrence is 70/30.. I like to think the bigger piece of the pie. For instance just recently.. I Have J,10 in the BB.. Everyone folds, which suprises me that the button Limps. Normally it is a raise there.. SB calls and I call. Flop comes K,10,J.. SB Checks and I bet the Pot on my 2 pair, knowing the Button doesn't have alot. I was correct cause he pushes his small stack of chips with K,5 suited.. No flush on the board showing. So he has 5 cards left to come.. turn came nothing to help either of us, and river came a 5. I was 71.3% to win that hand.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you can.. now watch

For giggles.. 20/100 is 1/5 is 20% and 20% is written as .20... it isn't written as 2.0..

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need to check your calculator Dorkus you are moving the decimal point over to many spots :)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
Yes you can.. now watch

For giggles.. 20/100 is 1/5 is 20% and 20% is written as .20... it isn't written as 2.0..

Yes, but using the same working as your previous "math", 20/100 would equal 100/20 = 5, and moving the decimal place would give 20/100 = 50%. Yet shockingly this is not correct.

Keep digging, sir. It's very entertaining.

twizzybop said:
Need to check your calculator Dorkus you are moving the decimal point over to many spots

No, I'm using the same working as you did.

1/1000, switch to 1000/1 = 1000, move decimal place one to the right to "give a percentage" = 10000, so according to your method 1 is 10000% of 1000.

twizzybop said:
so 99/390 is 3.939393 (which I did on a calculator just for you)... take the decimal point and move it over to make a %.. that gives you 40% rounding up, 39% if you wish to round down.

Once again. keep a-diggin'!

Last edited:
twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now lets round em both up if you wish.. 99 up to 100 and 360 to 400

Just to prove something as silly as moving a decimal point over.

There is 100 hands out of the 400 that he can have that beats you. 10 divided into 100 is 10.. do the same for the other side.. 10 divided into 400 is 40.. Now we can still reduce this down... 10 divided by 10 is 1... 40 divided by 10 is now 4.... making that 1/4.. totaling that at 25%... making that .25.. one whole Quarter to be exact.. so .25 or 25% times that by 4 is 100%..

Yet the 25% is obscure cause we rounded up the 360 to 400...If you wish we can break the 99/360 into the smallest denomination before the calculating the % if you wish.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep digging, sir. It's very entertaining.

Actually its right there with the 100/400 factor.. you don't call it 2.5.. it is .25... so actuality in the 3.9 the decimal point again needs to be moved over to make it a %... of .39

Tell me I am wrong again. Simple math is not that hard.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao, you are hilarious.

Where did 360 come from?

Edit: You're still wrong. I can't believe I'm debating the simple matter of the conversion of fractions to percentages with someone who claims they are good at maths.

Last edited:
twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where did 360 come from 30% of the 1300 figure it out yourself.

10% is 130 and X 3.. excuse me.. make that 390... I did originally say 390 :)

If I didn't I apologize.. lot better then the 460 conclusion that I didn't come up with.

99/390 was 3.93939393... Yet I did use the 390 cause that is the answer I previously used.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now the flaw in that is that I divided 99/360 backwards if you need to find one that bad.. in actuality it is 27.5%..

:) So now I found flaws in my math(which is just as bad for you).. glad to be of service..

Jesus Lederer

Jesus Lederer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
Yes I will agree 60/40 is good long term but again my prefrence is 70/30.. I like to think the bigger piece of the pie.

Just a little question twizzy: have you ever played a 6 handed LIMIT holdem RING game?