Question of the month!

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question of the month has more than 1 meaning.... Your expecting it to be the ultimate question! I know it's not... But perhaps you've been fooled and called and lost. Anyways it's my general question of the month.

I know it sounds ludicrous but theres a lot of players I see out there calling in this situation...I'm digging up and seeing if anything can come up with anything interesting. Rather than talking about coolers or AK or AQ ...

A lot of people read this and expect I will be calling with this... That's not always the case just because i'm asking about it, perhaps i'm gathering information to see if its worth while to widen my range this far? :) ... Anyways thanks for the feedback so far... Anyone has more stuff to add i'm all ears

If I called I wouldn't be thinking i'm getting a good price... I'd be generally thinking I better be open ender/straight draw with everyone calling me to get the rights odd to make the monster hand. 2 pair is just suicide since high pairs will call and the board will f me up by the river by pairing most times. Perhaps 88A board would be best.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The blinds are 1/2 and your on the dealer button with 86 suited. 6max table..

The action is limped... I follow and I limp!... SB decides to raise $17... everyone folds to me and we both have 100bb ... When should I expect to make this call? If ever... What are some odds out there you can add this hand I should be thinking of.

What are the limits to be calling this?

If SB raises less, say $12, and two limpers call, I'm so seeing a flop in your position. But maybe I suck ;)

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do like the 3betting on the button move though... especially if we flop it hard, it's definetly a stacking move. Probably only bother doing it if i'm hitting cards well and ppl calling me a lot. With a tight table.

All these guys who say fold fold fold... Stats are over 1000 hands in a row... But what if we randomly play these hands a lot less...Perhaps it could be profitable since we rarely play it .

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey also it could be a setup play next time ppl will call you when your 3betting with QQ+

aCutAbove

aCutAbove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think unless you have a ton of history you're in trouble.
Unless you can define his range as all air given the exact situation.

Raise and get ready for some post flop bs, or fold pre. If opponent knows you well,, could he be doing it only with his air range?? if so your cards don't matter so much here.

If he does know you well? he would have you on a wide weak and ready to fold range.yeah? given your action?:confused::beer: he would be right here too aye?

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think unless you have a ton of history you're in trouble.
Unless you can define his range as all air given the exact situation.

Raise and get ready for some post flop bs, or fold pre. If opponent knows you well,, could he be doing it only with his air range?? if so your cards don't matter so much here.

If he does know you well? he would have you on a wide weak and ready to fold range.yeah? given your action?:confused::beer: he would be right here too aye?

This is why I said... tight image 16/14 .... perhaps do it with 6/6 .... how can they think that's weak fold?

J

JRock27

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is the $17 more than 5% of your stack? If it is than fold. Do you think your opponent has a monster like AA or KK if so and the bet isn't more than 5% of your stack I would call, plus you have position. Also factor in opponents effective stack. Remember when you flop a draw of 8 outs or more bet! If he bets the flop raise, if he checks the flop bet. If you think that he will call a turn bet 100% of the time you can always check back the turn and see a free card.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice so stack sizes need to be $340+ to make this ev.

Thanks Jrock this was what I was after. Your better than half of these guys already without even playing em I just know.

jhonihgrass

jhonihgrass

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the answer is very simple, never play this hand!

Fuffufnick

Fuffufnick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After reading all the considered opinions (pot and implied odds, stack sizes, table image: past and future, position ... etc) I just can't see throwing anymore into this pot. The raise is unusually large, perhaps indicating the SB doesn't want action, hence it seems hard to put him/her on AA or even KK, so 99-JJ and maybe QQ to me seem more plausible. Of these hands so many are blockers to any straights you might draw to that, in my tiny mind at least, they greatly affect both pot and implied odds. In fact you might hit your straight and end up stacking off. The same may be said for hitting a set. No matter what flops, having made such a large raise, you're sure to be facing a c-bet which you may now feel inclined to call with a draw that if you make may mean further disaster or, more than likely, you won't be able to call. Short of flopping 2 pairs on a low flop, highly unlikely, it seems, to me at least, pretty fishy and burning money. Maybe in a live game, in which memories are longer and faces related to plays, the advertising is worth the price but online memories are shorter and peeps are multi-tabling with HUDs running. Plus, if you just end up mucking to the big c-bet, it was a wasted investment other than making the statement that you're willing to defend your limped button... which doesn't seem to me the greatest message.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call if the player is very predictable postflop and is raising enough hands that he will miss most flops (i.e. his raising range is more than QQ+).

Or

Call if you're 200 BBs deep and he basically has KK+ and will never fold it postflop.
The raise is unusually large

This raise is on the small side for $1/$2 live games.