Question about bluffing.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering, do you guys think It's generally a bad idea to bluff when the board is paired? A few minutes ago I played a hand and the board was 3 flushed but 8 8 hit on the turn and the river. Villain bet half the pot and I shoved, quadrupling his bet. I had the Ace of heart but didn't manage to make the flush. Tried to push him off his hand hoping he had a lower flush... He turns over pocket eights and I felt like an idiot lol. So it made me wonder... Paired board, are you bluffing?

Katie Kards

Katie Kards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love paired boards for bluffing. Why? People are less likely to chase their draws on a paired board. Also, in most cases it is pretty easy to determine when you are beat and when your opponent has nothing.

Be careful however, because if someone is smooth calling your bets, they could have the deck crippled and just be letting you bet into them

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3-bet on paired board = bluff, but other than that it's fine.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can you post the whole hand because it really depends on what type of hand you have represented on the earlier streets to see wether you made a good attempt to bluff.

Also paried flops offer good bluffing opourtunities because most people will only call/raise with 3 of a kind or holding the non paired board card in the hole.

Ozzington

Ozzington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My results on paired boards have been mixed. I think it comes down to how you played tha hand before the pairs came down. Generally if someone called pre-flop and flop, called the turn and called/raised the river, I'd think that they had the hand. Interested to see what others say though.

JJ Cricket

JJ Cricket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll min bet on a paired flop, make it look like a trap bet, any action I'm otta there! works alot!

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was there action on the flop?

If there was, then two things make me not want to bluff. If you're getting a bet or a call on a three flush flop, then you're likely up against two pair or a set, so the board pairing might help your opponent. The other thing is that, given that it came 88, he's not going to put you on an 8 because there wasn't one on the flop.

There are two obvious spots where I might bluff the board pair. The first one requires a pair on the flop. If I'm in position, I'll just call with a draw or on a total floater. Then on the turn I bet or raise, making it look like a slowplay of trips.

The other time I bluff the board pair is when it pairs on the turn when I'm in position. I probably called the flop with some draw. Then the middle card pairs. It's fairly likely that I called with middle pair, and if he has top pair he's going to be afraid of trips. So I might put in a bet or a raise on the turn. Sometimes it takes two bullets, and it only works well against good players.

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think bluffing a paired board is largely dependent on three things 1) your read on your opponents 2) the cards on the board, and 3) your table image. If I know all my opponents are fairly tight and called a preflop raise, I'm not going to bluff at a board with paired face cards as that is just asking someone to come over the top with their trips. On the flip side, if I have the same opponents with 33 on the board, then I might bet into them and rely on the fact that I know they don't have trips in that situation and I will use a loose image to my advantage.

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Paired boards are the death of me!

Why is it that when the board is paired on turn or river I automatically assume that it means my opponent isn't holding the third card. Can't tell you how many tournaments I've crashed out of with this leak I'm urgently trying to fix. So in answer to the question, technically I am bluffing on the paired board by staying aggressive when I should show more caution, and I'm gonna say its generally a v.bad idea!

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll min bet on a paired flop, make it look like a trap bet, any action I'm otta there! works alot!

I like this move a lot, whether I'm bluffing or not. If I get raised, I'm out of there losing a minimum amount, people fold a lot because they're suspicious of the trap (or else they just have crap). And when they've seen me make that play a lot, they're more willing to call the bet and build the pot up, so when I do have the hand, and I fire around a half to 3/4 pot bet, is it a continuation of the bluff? Do I have the hand?

Obviously playing against good players they'd catch on, but this style works a lot for the low limits I've been playing online. Steal a lot of small pots, get action when you hit a hand, it's win-win :).

The one difference is if I put someone on a draw, I have to make a bet that doesn't give them odds. Also although this may be obvious, I never try this move (without a hand) in a hand with any more than 3 people. Almost all pots I enter I re-raise 3x PF, and if 4-5 people call I'm in check-fold mode unless I flop a hand. If I'm heads up, continuation bet no matter what. From the reaction I can usually make some kind of read, 3-handed if I'm facing people who see too many flops and play weak after the flop (according to PokerAce) I may try one 3-handed.

But against more serious players and live games that doesn't work, you've gotta mix it up more.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Min bet on a paired board ??? Are you serious ? Youll get called down extremly light especially on the rings, and most of the time in the early stages of a tournament, and sometimes the late stages with ace high.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min bet on a paired board ??? Are you serious ? Youll get called down extremly light especially on the rings, and most of the time in the early stages of a tournament, and sometimes the late stages with ace high.

Sorry, I didn't mean min I meant small bet, between 1/3 and 1/2 pot. I've been playing $0.05/$0.10 and a bet of $0.20 usually does the trick if it's limped and $0.30 or $0.40 if I raised 3x PF.

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BLUFFIN AT ALL nowadays is bad move.....period!!

xxkodjoxx

xxkodjoxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well

welll ya hes rtie i agree wit him:cool:

Goron

Goron

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends

know your oppon. is what i say. if your oppon is a good player and expierenced player they will most likely try to bluff esp. with position play.

if you know your player or players are passive yes BLUFF

if they are not passive just play your cards !!

but can i say ive bluffed into quads more than prob. any human being alive. If anyone has ever played with me or knows me i play alot of hands and im betting alllllloootttttt of hands. all i gotta say is IVE LOST SOME REALLLLLLY BIG pots because ive bluffed into sets and quads. BUT ive made alllllllotttttt more money stealing every one of those pots that they didnt have anything on the paired board.

K

kordismon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to bluf a lot. bluf wins mew a lot of money

Z

zipjr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing

I like paired boards for bluffing also. Most of the time youll win them.Or at least I do.
zipjr;)

L

Lenroc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that, first of all you have to know the players before make any bluffs. Why? Because you don't know how the players will react at your bluff.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Paired boards are great for bluffing. One time in a tourney I was in the small blind and just called, the BB checked. I had 10 6 offsuit and the flop came J J 2. I bet half the pot, the big blind raised 3x my bet. I reraised him almost all in, and he folded. Afterwards he said he had 7 high.