Oh, and I want in this game lol

X

xxebaxx

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grunch.

The first thing that stands out here is that a guy sitting on 41 blinds opens from the btn and you flat call out of position with QQ. This is uh to put it one way non standard so I assume you must've had a specific reason to play your hand this way against this particular player? Perhaps you just never 3bet from the blinds versus steals so doing it here would give away (or possible even over rep) your hand. You said this was a live poker hand so I'd be 3betting it regardless though.

Checking the flop was obv with the intention of check/raising I assume. You may want to consider leading here on this Q low flop despite flatting pre as villain will figure to be either way ahead or way behind and thus refrain from firing a cbet, and there will be more hands in his value range here that call or raise a flop donk than he'll bet himself if checked to. If he has demonstrated a tendency cbet a lot (i.e. always or when he misses by a mile) then check/raising as opposed to donking flop is fine.

The worst result you could have envisioned occurs when the player checked behind and the :jd4: peels, for reasons which should already be clear. I agree with checking here a second time, as painful as it is that you were dealt QQ with 40 blinds effective (or less if you don't cover), flopped a set (on an A high board at that), and it now looks like you can't even get stacks in because there's been literally no betting yet post.

The river is a bit interesting once the turn checks through, as is your bet sizing. It's not a spot I'd ever find myself in because I wouldn't have played the hand like this, but I don't mind a river bet. I suppose I could state the obvious and say villain's own game is key here and whether or not he's prone to bluffing in this spot, but after checking twice in position this hand already as the preflop opener, the odds of him betting the river with a hand you can beat don't seem great. Calling a jam is, again, villain dependent, and you could make a good case for folding your set (as well as using more typical sizing otr). It's extremely unlikely for him to shove worse here for value, but on the other hand he could certainly be spazzing/bluffing quite a bit given the board and the unusual action thus far and that alone may merit a call.

Overall this hand was somewhat unusual, and it all stems from the unusual play preflop by flatting QQ this shallow.

Let's see if I understood as I'm not THAT good at English and I suscribed to this forum to learn from you all.

I called with pocket Qs out of position.
So you say I should have made a 3bet BECAUSE I'm out of position or just because the pocket Qs? I made a mistake between the PRE-FLOP and PRE-TURN bets.

I checked the flop with the clear intention of collecting more information about his hand. A simple bet would heve made him just call and I would be quite blind about his cards. I was expecting him to bet but didn't happen

The :jd4: , as you said, was the worst card I could expect in the turn (besides of obvious Kx and Ax). So I agree with you the best choice was to check the turn.

About the action after the River, I keep on thinking that this guy thought I was trying to steel the pot with a pair or a double pair and my 75% of the pot bet. I had an advantage over him. I could assume he didn't have any 10 (because he checked the turn), but he can't say I don't have a 10 (as I checked first, maybe with the intention of a check-raise). That's why I got really annoyed when he shoved.

Again... my guess was that he didn't have a 10 (because his check at the turn), neither pocket A's or K's (because his check at the flop) and was impossible for him to have a better hand than I did (with the only exception of a Flush). Hopefully, one of my Q's was a diamond so odds for him were lower ;).

However I did note he shoved because he was pretty sure to win the hand. So checking also gave me the advantage that he didn't expect a pocket Q's at my hand.
I ended up calling because I was pretty sure I was winning the hand.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree the flop bet is normally the right move. So obviously you were trapping here, and that is a calculated risk. Most of us do it sometimes too.

Other than that, I am impressed how you figured out the hand and made the call.

X

xxebaxx

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thread of the month for sure, OP is a tool, but is taking it all in his stride and has to be respected for that :)

A tool? Totally.
But everyone should be respected just for being human.
If I was that sure I made the best choice I wouldn't be posting in this forum. Don't you think?.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet pre
bet flop
c/c turn
c/f river
no???
easy game

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet pre
bet flop
c/c turn
c/f river
no???
easy game

Pretty much this, which is a better more straightforward way of stating what I did in my wordy post up above. The one street I might differ is on the river for a couple of reasons (not the least of which is that many live players are terrible at poker). Anyway, when I replied originally I didn't read any posts except the first. I've now glanced over the others and see that villain showed up with 99 here. His jam otr was atrocious.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I called with pocket Qs out of position.
So you say I should have made a 3bet BECAUSE I'm out of position or just because the pocket Qs?

Both are pretty good reasons to 3ball pre. The main reason is simply the hand you've been dealt, but there are a number of things about this hand you posted that all suggest 3betting your hand for value which is why I was wondering if there were any strongly compelling reasons you might've had to flat call. I'm interested in what your thought process was preflop.

I checked the flop with the clear intention of collecting more information about his hand. A simple bet would heve made him just call and I would be quite blind about his cards. I was expecting him to bet but didn't happen

This is a bit confusing. If you expected that he was going to call a bet, then given stack sizes that's an extremely good reason to bet the flop instead of checking. Any time you flop a set and you can get other players to put their chips into the middle on that street, you are generally well advised to do so. Also, why exactly were you expecting this player to bet his hand? You say you expected a bet if you checked and a call if you bet yet you were quite blind about his cards and needed to collect information? The logic is somewhat muddled here imo.

In any case, nice call otr and nice hand.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had QQ in one hand and AQJ flop came out...
i raised preflop and got called. and on the flop i raised and they went all in... ofc i put them on the straight and i called anyways.
A's doubled up and i won the hand... i got lucky but someone told me 35% chance.. in all honesty i hate these hands or whats worse is you get 2 pair on the flop with these type of hands.... Such a fine line between losing your stack and doubling up.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
35% is correct. Overall equity is about 34.9% which is better than 2 to 1 against. This means that if you bet a set otf and someone else raises all in and then turns their hand face up and shows you a made straight, it will often be correct to call the shove. If it's pot sized or less you'll have direct odds. On the turn with only one card to come the set is 22.7% to pair the board ftw so a half pot bet from a made straight will almost (but not quite) give you direct odds there as well. Of course, straights will almost never fold to a small bet on the river even if the board pairs so it's not difficult to make up the EV when you bink.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that river call is awful, he has bottom set so rarely and the rest of his range is 10x

Jd0ubl3M

Jd0ubl3M

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking the flop was a bad choice I would of led out giving him a free card let him see another card with not putting anything in allowing him to take control after that.

X

xxebaxx

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks you guys for your inputs.
It's very difficult to get un unbiased opinion when you know the real outcome.
I learned that I have to play more aggressively this kinds of hands.

Special thanks to DunningKruger who took the time and has so clear concepts.
So appreciated!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always 3bet QQ from the blinds against a BTN raise. Don't be afraid to get it all in preflop either. You are only scared of two hands.

As played I ain't checking that flop. Bet 2/3 to 3/4 pot. Good chance he got a piece of it. Raise it up.

If I had played the hand that passively down to the river, I would just check/call.

That's just a silly shove from villain. Only gonna get called by better.