Polished Poker Vol. I Study Group

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Carlos, it's a pleasure to see you posting in Professor John's thread. Please feel free to post any hands that trouble you or good examples of the tactics learned.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there John A, thanks again for your attention and kindness. I would love to see the videos, but I don't really know where is the link for it, could you please send me the links?
What you have said it is the pure truth: " In reality, someone who is considered an expert asserts a way of seeing or thinking, and then lots of people follow that approach without actually thinking for themselves."
I was one of those players until a few months ago, who looked up some YouTube videos of Doug Polk, Assassinato Poker, Charlie Carrel and tried to apply their ideas and concepts to the tables (micro-stackes), and it really doesn't work at all!
I stopped watching all material related to High and Medium stakes for good. Now I only read and watch videos of professionals about micro-stakes, such as Evan Jarvis, Nathan Williams and John A. (Do you know more pros who talk about the micros? I'd love to know)
Now, I am making a real hard work through the micros and I would like to share this expecience with you and the whole community.
Since I started learning from my own mistakes at the tables, I began to pass more time studying and less time playing. One of the things I do now, and it takes a lot of sweat and hardworking, is to look for a Zoom Cash Game, for instance, and, instead of clicking "Play Now", I changed my mind and began to click "Observe". :rolleyes:
I spent one or two hours per day just observing the behavior of the players in the field. I watch the hands played with the utmost attention and care and put notes and colors in the players.
Like you honestly put what we should be really learning: "Player types... personalities, and what each player types ranges generally tend to look like in reality at the table in common situations. You will learn these patterns, and I can tell you first hand you'll be able to accurately put people on pretty narrow ranges with increased practice".
I observe stack sizes, position, the size of the preflop and postflop bets and the lines players use postflop to take a picture of the given range and playability/gameplan.
I see a lot of repetition and mechanical gaming. It seems to me that players at 2 NLHE and 5 NLHE are playing the same game of 2000 NLHE and 5000 NLHE! (where, because of the low rake, almost anything we do is correct at high stakes).
This analitic approach, with your book insights, are helping me a lot to build a solid strategy for beating the micros and consequently move up to the stakes.
Sorry, I know you are a very busy person and I don't intend to take your time for nothing.
I just appreciate very much your patience and work as a player, a writer, a professor and a good person that you are. Thank your from the bosom of my heart for all! Have a wonderful new year!

PS: If you please, could post the link to the videos :)

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

That's a really good approach. If you continue to think and work like that, then you'll be playing and winning at a high level for a long time.

I'm sure you learned a lot of valuable info from those other courses. Now it's just a process of sorting through what is actually applicable to YOUR games. Sounds like you're doing that now, so good on you.

S

sickthis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi John. Just downloaded your book. I just found this thread also. Did I play this correct? Villain I have 145 hands on vpip 19 pfr 18 3bet 22 I know he 3 bets light. This is .05/.10 blitz
Hero co 104.2 bb AT diamonds
Villain btn 193.7 bb
Folds to hero
Hero raises 2.8 bb btn raise 9.1 bb hero raise to 23.8 bb btn calls
Flop 49.1 bb 2players
JcAs7c
Hero checks villain bets 14.2 bb hero calls
Turn 77.5 bb
3h hero Checks villain checks
River 4h
Hero checks villain checks

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi John. Just downloaded your book. I just found this thread also. Did I play this correct? Villain I have 145 hands on vpip 19 pfr 18 3bet 22 I know he 3 bets light. This is .05/.10 blitz
Hero co 104.2 bb AT diamonds
Villain btn 193.7 bb
Folds to hero
Hero raises 2.8 bb btn raise 9.1 bb hero raise to 23.8 bb btn calls
Flop 49.1 bb 2players
JcAs7c
Hero checks villain bets 14.2 bb hero calls
Turn 77.5 bb
3h hero Checks villain checks
River 4h
Hero checks villain checks

Looks fine. I'd lean towards a river VB once he checks the turn. It will look like you're committing yourself if you bet ~30 BBs, and he'll have to call w/ KK/QQ and some Jx because of the flush draw. He'll also be inclined to just call w/ hands that beat you like AK/AQ that he might bet larger with, and he would have bet the turn w/ AJ. So it acts as a VB blocker. I hate using that term, but this is a smart spot to do it in.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Chapter 2: know thyself

Hi there professor John Anhalt, good morning, how do you do? I am reading a lot your book and it is very awesome. I recommend it to some friends of mine and they also loved it, great work.
Today, I would like to open a little topic about the chapter 2: know thyself:

"You won't be able to play your best poker if you don't know your strengths and weaknesses. Just because a particular play works well for one player, doesn't mean it's going to consistently be the best option or line for you to take as a poker player. Make sure you understand what some of your strengths are, and do everything you can to utilize them every hand you play. Conversely, minimize areas that will play to your weaknesses. (...)
(...) Here are some examples of common weaknesses and strengths for players. Go through this list and rank how you think you do in each area based on a score of 1 to 10, with 10 being the absolute best. You can then formulate a plan on how you'll improve in these areas if you deem them important to your overall game plan."

Polished Poker Vol 1 - Ace Poker Solutions, 2014 - All rights reserved. Pag. 11

Well, you said here it is very important to really know ourselves before trying to know the villain or the field. It's an ancient Greek aphorism, completely valid today.
You made an amazing chart of us to put on it a note that we believe it corresponds to our level. Let's see it. I will put the chart and the respectives scores that I believe I have:

Aspects of Poker

Hand Reading (R)

This aspect of the game I believe I do it fine. I would say my score here is 7

Postflop Bluffing (R/A)

Here I am a little bit weary. I play at the micros and I found a very hard time to bluff postflop. Most of my bluffs are preflop, then the flop and at maximum I am bluffing in the turn. I have no bluffs in the river, for many reasons. My score here is 4

Anticipating Opponent Reactions (P)

This is a very fun aspect of the game and I love it. Having statistics using HUD and notes of the player we can anticipate their actions and play better postflop. In spots that we could be raising or betting we just check or call because the opponent is going to read this move as a weak move, so we can explore this. I believe my score here is 6

Light Value Betting (R/A)

I have serious problems with light value betting, thin value bet, specially if I am at the river decision. Most of times I check rivers that I should be betting, but I get scared because players at the micros are really wild business. My score here is 3

Tilt Control (P)

One of the fundamentals of the game is to have emotional control, otherwise we can never have proper focus and decision making. I believe I got a whole better in tilt control. In the beginning I use to lose huge ammounts of EV because I was proud enough to admit that my body is weak. Now it is getting easier to get off the tables when I feel that heat in the back of my neck. My score here is 5, I have a lot to learn about this yet.

Calling Down Light (R)

Another problem similar to the Light Value Betting. My score here is 3

Bet Sizing (R)

I like this aspect and I believe I am playing much better now that I really started to pay attention in every bet size, either preflop or postflop. I also began to change my bet sizings accordingly to the Villain and game. Most of players have a tendency to blow out the pot, and put a lot of chips in the middle with anything their hit.
I see many players that when they are in the top of their range to make bigger preflop raises, bigger 3bet/4bet preflop making their readings much more soft. My score here is 6

Proper Aggression (A)

I am working a lot through a way to find the proper aggression at the micros. Because players are pretty much polarized either for value or for bluff (They overvalue their range or overbluff their range). Sometimes I play totally and completely passive against some players that will bet in the first sign of weakness (When I am in position and check flop, or when I call a C-bet flop oop, when I c-bet flop and check turn, etc)
On the other side, sometimes I play like a wild maniac, opening more than 60% hands from the BTN, opening 100% range from the SB, 3betting light BB x BTN 25% of times and so on. I don't know if this is proper aggresion but my score, I guess it would be 6.

Capitalizing on Opponent Weaknesses (A)

I love that. Notes help us more than statistics here, because if we know the player type and its tendencies preflop and postlfop, we might be able to capitalize and exploit a lot. My score is 6.

Inducing Bluffs (R)

I am starting to feel good with this, making people believe that I have nothing when I have the nuts. The contrary is very hard at the micros (make them believe that we have the nuts when we have nothing), and I don't try very often, to say clearly, almost never. I lost so much value trying to bluff players at the micros that I got traumatized and now I am avoiding a lot to do so.
Even players that I had a sample of over 2 K hands played, could not be bluffed, so I really gave up, because I play 2 K of hands with Villain X, I always go to the showdown with a very strong value hand or the nuts, even so, when I try to make a simple bluff in the turn or river it doesn't pass. Players are very, very sticky to theirs TPTK, TP2K, etc.
On the opposite side of the street, I am finding much more comfortable and better to let players bluff me, and most of micro-stakes players never know when or how to bluff, they barely know when they have the nuts or a strong value hand and they bet reckless, regardless of the opponent of the board texture, so I started to let people bluff me a lot. My score here is 6 :elefant:

This chart belongs to: Polished Poker vol 1 (modified by my comments) - 2014, Ace Poker Solutions - All rights reserved. Pag. 11

Well, I would like to know how can we use a HUD such as HM2 to observe these aspects of poker and improve our game. Because sometimes it is hard to judge ourselves: either we overvalue our skills or we undervalue them. I never know if I am being truly candid with myself.
Thank you very much professor John Anhalt for your work!

Regards;

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there professor John Anhalt, good morning, how do you do? I am reading a lot your book and it is very awesome. I recommend it to some friends of mine and they also loved it, great work.
Today, I would like to open a little topic about the chapter 2: know thyself:

"You won't be able to play your best poker if you don't know your strengths and weaknesses. Just because a particular play works well for one player, doesn't mean it's going to consistently be the best option or line for you to take as a poker player. Make sure you understand what some of your strengths are, and do everything you can to utilize them every hand you play. Conversely, minimize areas that will play to your weaknesses. (...)
(...) Here are some examples of common weaknesses and strengths for players. Go through this list and rank how you think you do in each area based on a score of 1 to 10, with 10 being the absolute best. You can then formulate a plan on how you'll improve in these areas if you deem them important to your overall game plan."

Polished Poker Vol 1 - Ace Poker Solutions, 2014 - All rights reserved. Pag. 11

Well, you said here it is very important to really know ourselves before trying to know the villain or the field. It's an ancient Greek aphorism, completely valid today.
You made an amazing chart of us to put on it a note that we believe it corresponds to our level. Let's see it. I will put the chart and the respectives scores that I believe I have:

Aspects of Poker

Hand Reading (R)

This aspect of the game I believe I do it fine. I would say my score here is 7

Postflop Bluffing (R/A)

Here I am a little bit weary. I play at the micros and I found a very hard time to bluff postflop. Most of my bluffs are preflop, then the flop and at maximum I am bluffing in the turn. I have no bluffs in the river, for many reasons. My score here is 4

Anticipating Opponent Reactions (P)

This is a very fun aspect of the game and I love it. Having statistics using HUD and notes of the player we can anticipate their actions and play better postflop. In spots that we could be raising or betting we just check or call because the opponent is going to read this move as a weak move, so we can explore this. I believe my score here is 6

Light Value Betting (R/A)

I have serious problems with light value betting, thin value bet, specially if I am at the river decision. Most of times I check rivers that I should be betting, but I get scared because players at the micros are really wild business. My score here is 3

Tilt Control (P)

One of the fundamentals of the game is to have emotional control, otherwise we can never have proper focus and decision making. I believe I got a whole better in tilt control. In the beginning I use to lose huge ammounts of EV because I was proud enough to admit that my body is weak. Now it is getting easier to get off the tables when I feel that heat in the back of my neck. My score here is 5, I have a lot to learn about this yet.

Calling Down Light (R)

Another problem similar to the Light Value Betting. My score here is 3

Bet Sizing (R)

I like this aspect and I believe I am playing much better now that I really started to pay attention in every bet size, either preflop or postflop. I also began to change my bet sizings accordingly to the Villain and game. Most of players have a tendency to blow out the pot, and put a lot of chips in the middle with anything their hit.
I see many players that when they are in the top of their range to make bigger preflop raises, bigger 3bet/4bet preflop making their readings much more soft. My score here is 6

Proper Aggression (A)

I am working a lot through a way to find the proper aggression at the micros. Because players are pretty much polarized either for value or for bluff (They overvalue their range or overbluff their range). Sometimes I play totally and completely passive against some players that will bet in the first sign of weakness (When I am in position and check flop, or when I call a C-bet flop oop, when I c-bet flop and check turn, etc)
On the other side, sometimes I play like a wild maniac, opening more than 60% hands from the BTN, opening 100% range from the SB, 3betting light BB x BTN 25% of times and so on. I don't know if this is proper aggresion but my score, I guess it would be 6.

Capitalizing on Opponent Weaknesses (A)

I love that. Notes help us more than statistics here, because if we know the player type and its tendencies preflop and postlfop, we might be able to capitalize and exploit a lot. My score is 6.

Inducing Bluffs (R)

I am starting to feel good with this, making people believe that I have nothing when I have the nuts. The contrary is very hard at the micros (make them believe that we have the nuts when we have nothing), and I don't try very often, to say clearly, almost never. I lost so much value trying to bluff players at the micros that I got traumatized and now I am avoiding a lot to do so.
Even players that I had a sample of over 2 K hands played, could not be bluffed, so I really gave up, because I play 2 K of hands with Villain X, I always go to the showdown with a very strong value hand or the nuts, even so, when I try to make a simple bluff in the turn or river it doesn't pass. Players are very, very sticky to theirs TPTK, TP2K, etc.
On the opposite side of the street, I am finding much more comfortable and better to let players bluff me, and most of micro-stakes players never know when or how to bluff, they barely know when they have the nuts or a strong value hand and they bet reckless, regardless of the opponent of the board texture, so I started to let people bluff me a lot. My score here is 6 :elefant:

This chart belongs to: Polished Poker vol 1 (modified by my comments) - 2014, Ace Poker Solutions - All rights reserved. Pag. 11

Well, I would like to know how can we use a HUD such as HM2 to observe these aspects of poker and improve our game. Because sometimes it is hard to judge ourselves: either we overvalue our skills or we undervalue them. I never know if I am being truly candid with myself.
Thank you very much professor John Anhalt for your work!

Regards;

Hey Carlos, I'm doing well. Thanks for your kind words.

So now you know exactly what you should be focusing on in your game. The areas your mentioned are pretty typically similar areas people struggle with as they are learning to play poker at a higher level.

As far as a HUD, I'd of course recommend Drivehud. If you don't have one, PM me and I can send you a discount coupon. But the main advantage with a HUD is focusing on player typing your opponents as quickly as possibly, and then adjusting your game/ range based on that analysis. The other main advantage is tagging your own hands, and analyzing your game. Grouping hands into areas that you struggling with by labeling them, and then posting them for review.

Did you happen to watch the how to really make money at poker series yet?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
DriveHUD

Hey Carlos, I'm doing well. Thanks for your kind words.

So now you know exactly what you should be focusing on in your game. The areas your mentioned are pretty typically similar areas people struggle with as they are learning to play poker at a higher level.

As far as a HUD, I'd of course recommend Drivehud. If you don't have one, PM me and I can send you a discount coupon. But the main advantage with a HUD is focusing on player typing your opponents as quickly as possibly, and then adjusting your game/ range based on that analysis. The other main advantage is tagging your own hands, and analyzing your game. Grouping hands into areas that you struggling with by labeling them, and then posting them for review.

Did you happen to watch the how to really make money at poker series yet?

Hello professor John Anhalt, thanks for your reply, it is very important for me, and I guess for our fellow mates here in the CardsChat's forum. :)
I didn't watch how to really make money at poker series yet, because I am reading your book, posting here but I promisse I will watch it as soon as possible.
By the way, thank you for the discount on DriveHUD, but right now I cannot even afford to buy a new pc. My pc is very old and with a lot of problem but I am going to wait.
In the future I'll be a certain client of Ace Poker Solutions, buying not only DriveHUD but your course material, including Polished Poker Vol 2, which I saw it is only USD 13.
Your work is the max, have a wonderful day and may God help us all!

Regards;

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Chapter 7: 3-betting

Hi there professor John Anhalt. I'm devouring your book and now I intend to kindly open a discussion about 3-betting.
You said in the first paragraph of this chapter: "The games today are becoming increasingly aggressive. (...) Players are applying more pressure pre-flop and becoming increasingly aggressive postflop" - Polished Poker Vol 1, pag. 115
This is very important because we gotta learn to deal with aggression, and most important, learn how to steal pots preflop, because those pots are rake free, and we make huge ammounts of winrate when we use a proper strategy for 3-betting as the book describes:
We have 3-betting value range, which will include QQ+ AK, so we must have a 3-betting bluff range to balance and make the decision making for our opponents harder:
"A baseline for a value 3-bet range is 4.22% of hands, which looks something like this:
JJ+ AQs+ AQo+. Now clearly if you only 3-bet about 4% of your hands, you're not going to get much action when you 3-bet, and you're going to be leaving money on the table. you'll want to add in some more hands as bluffs, and also find ways to add more value hands against certain opponents".
Polished Poker Vol 1, pag: 117

In the page 118 we see our possible 3-bet ranges:

For Value: JJ+, AQs+, AQo+

Bluffing: A2s-A8s, A2o-A8o, K2s-K9s, K5o-K9o, Q5s-Q9s, J5s-J7s, Q8o-Q9o, J7o-J8o

Calling Range: KJo+, KTs+, ATs-AJs, ATo-AJo, QTs+ QJo, JTs, 22-TT

"So if you add some of these bluffing hands to your 3-bet value range, you'll increase your 3-bet range to a percentage that will properly polarize your total 3-bet range. This means thati f you get your total 3-bet percentage to around 8%, your opponent won't know when you're 3-betting for value, or when you're 3-bet bluffing. They'll have to risk calling and playing a re-raised pot without initiative against you, folding their hand and giving up their equity, or 4-betting you."
(idem, pag: 118-119)

Quasi Range

I am not sure if I undertand this Quasi range well, so I'll try to explain with my own words.
For example I could be calling AJs from the BB versus a BTN or SB opener very safe, because I know that AJs in spots like this is more a value hand than a bluffing hand. But I would elect to 3bet AJs from the BB versus SB or BTN's raisors when I see them don't love to fold to 3-bet very much, so I increase the size of the pot preflop, take initiative and plus I can win a bigger pot postflop against a weaker player because of the 3-bet.
However, if we are in the MP with AJs and a very nitty player who opens barely 5% from UTG at a 6-Max Cash Table, opens and we elect to 3bet with AJs it might a 3bet for bluff because players like these will have us dominated most of times with AQ and AK.
I say that after I read this chapter I change my 3-bet ranges a lot. I don't know if I am reading this chapter correctly, but I would risk to say that we must mix our 3bets and calls, so we can use the same range that we use for 3-betting against certains types of players we also could be calling.

Middle Position 3-betting/Calling Range versus UTG's Raisor

In this position, I use to 3-bet around 4% of value and 4% of bluff, mixing between calling and 3-betting depending on notes, stats, history, players style, perceived range at the moment the action happened, and I also love to use your algorithm and make a lot of questions to myself before taking any kind of action because either I have "A's or 87s".
I will thank you forever for this great work you did writing Polished Poker!

So my personal MP vs UTG 3-betting/Calling range will be something like this (after I had read chapter 7):

TT+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, AQo+ (8.60%)

How do I mix my calling, folding and 3-betting range here? Is it correct? Am I being to nitty?

AA, KK and AKs = 3bet almost 100% of combos. At the micro-stakes I don't love being fancy with these hands. I could be calling here when I see a very wild aggressive player ahead (CO, BTN or Blinds) that is very likely to be Squeezing if I cold call versus UTG. Thus, is a great business.
Sometimes I can call AA, KK and AKs when both UTG raisor and players/player in the blind/blinds are weak, so I can induce a lot of errors postflop.
AQs =3betting 3 combos and calling 1 combo
AJs=ATs 3betting 2 combos and folding 2 combos (it is very hard to call here versus UTG when we will be mostly dominated)
A5s-A2s = 3-betting 2 combos and folding 2 combos, terrible for calling too IMO. These smaller suited aces are also in my 4-betting bluff range, but this is another subject.
AQo = 3-betting 6 combos and folding 6 combos (off suited only)
AKo = 3-betting 6 combos and calling 6 combos
KTs-KQs = 3-betting 2 combo, folding 2 combos (I find very hard to play this hands versus UTG in 3-bet pots)
QTs-QJs = 3-betting 1 combo, folding 3 combos
T9s and JTs = 3-betting 1 combo, folding 3 combos
TT = 3betting 1 combo, calling 5 combos, I will find some spot where I can fold TT versus UTG but it is rare.
JJ = 3-betting 2 combos, calling 4 combos
QQ = 3-betting 3 combos, calling 3 combos
As long as I move up the positions I will add some more value hands and some more bluffs, until when we get into the BTN 3-betting/calling range versus CO raisor, we will see that it is pretty standart to 3-bet almost all combos of T9s, and sometimes it is for value! lol.

Regards;

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello professor John Anhalt, thanks for your reply, it is very important for me, and I guess for our fellow mates here in the CardsChat's forum. :)
I didn't watch how to really make money at poker series yet, because I am reading your book, posting here but I promisse I will watch it as soon as possible.
By the way, thank you for the discount on DriveHUD, but right now I cannot even afford to buy a new pc. My pc is very old and with a lot of problem but I am going to wait.
In the future I'll be a certain client of Ace Poker Solutions, buying not only DriveHUD but your course material, including Polished Poker Vol 2, which I saw it is only USD 13.
Your work is the max, have a wonderful day and may God help us all!

Regards;

Yw, and thanks again for your kind words.

Yes, just PM when you're ready and I'll hook you up. Even for Vol II.

I see you have some new questions so I'll try and go over those when I have a bit more time.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!

SB: 214 BB
BB: 363.75 BB
UTG: 332.75 BB
Hero (MP): 94 BB
CO: 325.25 BB
BTN: 278.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Qs Qc
fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop : (9.5 BB, 3 players) 9h 7s Qh
BB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 6.25 BB, BB calls 6.25 BB, Hero raises to 28 BB, fold, BB calls 21.75 BB

Turn : (71.75 BB, 2 players) 8h
BB bets 332.75 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 63 BB and is all-in

Not sure about this one. Tight passive ish reg
23/11/2
I'm 80% sure he has a flush here. Still wasn't comfortable with folding top set since we have outs. Also there's a slight marging it could be 77,99 for some reason
I ran the numbers

Without 77,99
http://www.pokerstrategy.com
Board: Qh9h7s8h
equity Win Tie
CO 45.45% 45.45% 0.00% { QQ }
SB 54.55% 54.55% 0.00% { 99, 77, AhKh, AhJh, KhJh, AhTh, KhTh, JhTh, Ah6h, Ah5h, Ah4h, Ah3h, Ah2h }

With 77,99
http://www.pokerstrategy.com
Board: Qh9h7s8h
Equity Win Tie
CO 45.45% 45.45% 0.00% { QQ }
SB 54.55% 54.55% 0.00% { 99, 77, AhKh, AhJh, KhJh, AhTh, KhTh, JhTh, Ah6h, Ah5h, Ah4h, Ah3h, Ah2h }

need 30%. Pretty certain he can't have a straight or two pair apart form JhTh
120NL

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, so just bet the flop. And yeah, you can't fold the turn. Yes, maybe most of his range will be flush. If you're so sure that he's passive and most of his range is flush, I usually just take out one set combo and run the equity. I think that's the most realistic approach in these scenarios.

So if you take out 77, you still have plenty to call.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there professor John Anhalt. I'm devouring your book and now I intend to kindly open a discussion about 3-betting.
You said in the first paragraph of this chapter: "The games today are becoming increasingly aggressive. (...) Players are applying more pressure pre-flop and becoming increasingly aggressive postflop" - Polished Poker Vol 1, pag. 115
This is very important because we gotta learn to deal with aggression, and most important, learn how to steal pots preflop, because those pots are rake free, and we make huge ammounts of winrate when we use a proper strategy for 3-betting as the book describes:
We have 3-betting value range, which will include QQ+ AK, so we must have a 3-betting bluff range to balance and make the decision making for our opponents harder:
"A baseline for a value 3-bet range is 4.22% of hands, which looks something like this:
JJ+ AQs+ AQo+. Now clearly if you only 3-bet about 4% of your hands, you're not going to get much action when you 3-bet, and you're going to be leaving money on the table. you'll want to add in some more hands as bluffs, and also find ways to add more value hands against certain opponents".
Polished Poker Vol 1, pag: 117

In the page 118 we see our possible 3-bet ranges:

For Value: JJ+, AQs+, AQo+

Bluffing: A2s-A8s, A2o-A8o, K2s-K9s, K5o-K9o, Q5s-Q9s, J5s-J7s, Q8o-Q9o, J7o-J8o

Calling Range: KJo+, KTs+, ATs-AJs, ATo-AJo, QTs+ QJo, JTs, 22-TT

"So if you add some of these bluffing hands to your 3-bet value range, you'll increase your 3-bet range to a percentage that will properly polarize your total 3-bet range. This means thati f you get your total 3-bet percentage to around 8%, your opponent won't know when you're 3-betting for value, or when you're 3-bet bluffing. They'll have to risk calling and playing a re-raised pot without initiative against you, folding their hand and giving up their equity, or 4-betting you."
(idem, pag: 118-119)

Quasi Range

I am not sure if I undertand this Quasi range well, so I'll try to explain with my own words.
For example I could be calling AJs from the BB versus a BTN or SB opener very safe, because I know that AJs in spots like this is more a value hand than a bluffing hand. But I would elect to 3bet AJs from the BB versus SB or BTN's raisors when I see them don't love to fold to 3-bet very much, so I increase the size of the pot preflop, take initiative and plus I can win a bigger pot postflop against a weaker player because of the 3-bet.
However, if we are in the MP with AJs and a very nitty player who opens barely 5% from UTG at a 6-Max Cash Table, opens and we elect to 3bet with AJs it might a 3bet for bluff because players like these will have us dominated most of times with AQ and AK.
I say that after I read this chapter I change my 3-bet ranges a lot. I don't know if I am reading this chapter correctly, but I would risk to say that we must mix our 3bets and calls, so we can use the same range that we use for 3-betting against certains types of players we also could be calling.

Middle Position 3-betting/Calling Range versus UTG's Raisor

In this position, I use to 3-bet around 4% of value and 4% of bluff, mixing between calling and 3-betting depending on notes, stats, history, players style, perceived range at the moment the action happened, and I also love to use your algorithm and make a lot of questions to myself before taking any kind of action because either I have "A's or 87s".
I will thank you forever for this great work you did writing Polished Poker!

So my personal MP vs UTG 3-betting/Calling range will be something like this (after I had read chapter 7):

TT+, ATs+, A5s-A2s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, AQo+ (8.60%)

How do I mix my calling, folding and 3-betting range here? Is it correct? Am I being to nitty?

AA, KK and AKs = 3bet almost 100% of combos. At the micro-stakes I don't love being fancy with these hands. I could be calling here when I see a very wild aggressive player ahead (CO, BTN or Blinds) that is very likely to be Squeezing if I cold call versus UTG. Thus, is a great business.
Sometimes I can call AA, KK and AKs when both UTG raisor and players/player in the blind/blinds are weak, so I can induce a lot of errors postflop.
AQs =3betting 3 combos and calling 1 combo
AJs=ATs 3betting 2 combos and folding 2 combos (it is very hard to call here versus UTG when we will be mostly dominated)
A5s-A2s = 3-betting 2 combos and folding 2 combos, terrible for calling too IMO. These smaller suited aces are also in my 4-betting bluff range, but this is another subject.
AQo = 3-betting 6 combos and folding 6 combos (off suited only)
AKo = 3-betting 6 combos and calling 6 combos
KTs-KQs = 3-betting 2 combo, folding 2 combos (I find very hard to play this hands versus UTG in 3-bet pots)
QTs-QJs = 3-betting 1 combo, folding 3 combos
T9s and JTs = 3-betting 1 combo, folding 3 combos
TT = 3betting 1 combo, calling 5 combos, I will find some spot where I can fold TT versus UTG but it is rare.
JJ = 3-betting 2 combos, calling 4 combos
QQ = 3-betting 3 combos, calling 3 combos
As long as I move up the positions I will add some more value hands and some more bluffs, until when we get into the BTN 3-betting/calling range versus CO raisor, we will see that it is pretty standart to 3-bet almost all combos of T9s, and sometimes it is for value! lol.

Regards;

Quasi range = non-polarized range. That term is used a little more often in the poker community. It's basically any of those hands that are too strong to 3-bet bluff. So it's primarily going to be your calling range.

Your middle position 3-betting range vs UTg is fine, it might be a little high more than anything. Ideally I'd keep it closer to ~6%. But this just matters what your overall 3-bet strategy is going to be.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Quasi range = non-polarized range. That term is used a little more often in the poker community. It's basically any of those hands that are too strong to 3-bet bluff. So it's primarily going to be your calling range.

Your middle position 3-betting range vs UTg is fine, it might be a little high more than anything. Ideally I'd keep it closer to ~6%. But this just matters what your overall 3-bet strategy is going to be.

Thank you teacher! Your lessons help me a lot. I am still reading your book, maybe tomorrow I'll post another thread. Sorry for the long term explanation. Have a nice sunday!

Regards;

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you teacher! Your lessons help me a lot. I am still reading your book, maybe tomorrow I'll post another thread. Sorry for the long term explanation. Have a nice sunday!

Regards;

Yes for sure.... a couple of questions at a time is always best. I go through waves of being super swamped or just really busy. :)

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pacific, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

SB: $54.19 (108.4 bb)
BB: $10.02 (20 bb)
UTG+1: $62.42 (124.8 bb)
UTG+2: $52.09 (104.2 bb)
MP1: $50 (100 bb)
MP2: $14.19 (28.4 bb)
MP3: $57.88 (115.8 bb)VPIP: 19, PFR: 15, 3B: 8, AF: 2.5, Hands: 314
CO: $50 (100 bb)
Hero (BTN): $51.09 (102.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 9
4 folds, MP3 raises to $1.25, CO folds, Hero calls $1.25, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.25) T 8 9 (2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.62, MP3 calls $1.62

Turn: ($6.49) A (2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero checks

River: ($6.49) 4 (2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero bets $2.14, MP3 raises to $8.03 Hero?

Nothing really known about this villain other than a decent regular. Definitely good enough to recognise a good runout to bluff.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pacific, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

SB: $54.19 (108.4 bb)
BB: $10.02 (20 bb)
UTG+1: $62.42 (124.8 bb)
UTG+2: $52.09 (104.2 bb)
MP1: $50 (100 bb)
MP2: $14.19 (28.4 bb)
MP3: $57.88 (115.8 bb)VPIP: 19, PFR: 15, 3B: 8, AF: 2.5, Hands: 314
CO: $50 (100 bb)
Hero (BTN): $51.09 (102.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 9
4 folds, MP3 raises to $1.25, CO folds, Hero calls $1.25, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.25) T 8 9 (2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.62, MP3 calls $1.62

Turn: ($6.49) A (2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero checks

River: ($6.49) 4 (2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero bets $2.14, MP3 raises to $8.03 Hero?

Nothing really known about this villain other than a decent regular. Definitely good enough to recognise a good runout to bluff.

Based on the stats and your read, he's probably a level 2 thinker and not level 3. So calling here is likely best since you shouldn't have a ton of hands that can call a river CR. If they had a real value hand, it would make the most sense to just bet the river for them, especially with their two pair hands and flushes.

If he thinks you bluff a lot, then checking some of his flushes make sense, but that's not your game and your stats reflect that.

So I think it's a good call, assuming you made it which I'm guessing you did. :)

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
200NL

CO: 111.5 BB
BTN: 98.5 BB
SB: 94.17 BB
Hero (BB): 173.17 BB
UTG: 58 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Kh Qd
fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop : (6.5 BB, 2 players) 8h Js Th
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn : (6.5 BB, 2 players) Tc
Hero bets 4.33 BB, BTN raises to 13 BB, Hero calls 8.67 BB

River : (32.5 BB, 2 players) Ad
Hero checks, BTN bets 82.5 BB and is all-in, fold

BTN wins 29.83 BB

he plays 18/16/9, AF 5
I have a note on him = "xr oe& bluff A turn close to pot"
wtsd 45 wsd 54
he doesn't cb much(3/15)
has xraise 4/7 flop

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Respected forumchane among you there is which could would advise materials for raising level my game in plus

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ugly 200NL deepstack hand

SB: 168.17 BB
Hero (BB): 187.17 BB
UTG: 179.5 BB
MP: 196.83 BB
CO: 129.33 BB
BTN: 74.33 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3h 3c
UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop : (8 BB, 3 players) Th 3d Ks
Hero checks, UTG bets 4 BB, fold, Hero raises to 14.5 BB, UTG calls 10.5 BB

Turn : (37 BB, 2 players) 5d
Hero bets 27.67 BB, UTG calls 27.67 BB

River : (92.33 BB, 2 players) Tc
Hero bets 34.67 BB, UTG raises to 134.83 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 100.17 BB

300 hands on him running 30/23/9 , Af - 4
fold to 3b - 92%
fold to cbflop - 71%
wtsd -22

not sure about the river bet & the call

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
WTSD and W$SD: how many hands do we need?

Hi there professor Anhalt, how you doing? I have a doubt here and I promisse to be short.
You speak about these stats WTSD and W$SD, but I don't remember you talking about a volume of hands played.
For example, I know that for 3-bet preflop we need at least one thousand hands for a reliable information. For river bets/raises we need something between 15 K and 20 K hands, at least, for the information to be trustworthy.
I confess that I don't use these stats WTSD and W$SD, because I don't know if it's safe for putting, for instance a turn/river bluff having only these statistics on my side. I like to consider a lot of human (psychology) and mathematical (rational deduction/logic) factors before taking a serious decision of risking my stack having only HUD stats.
How do you think we should really use it and which volume of hands are needed for us to make decisions based upon it?

Regards;

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

fold to 3b - 92%
fold to cbflop - 71%
wtsd -22

River bet yes, but was the sizing done to induce a shove? What range are you usually betting 1/3rd on the river? Your sizing looks like KQ/KJ, so I'd probably lean towards a call. But in general, I'm struggling to find what hands you'd be betting 1/3rd there other than as a value/block bet.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River bet yes, but was the sizing done to induce a shove? What range are you usually betting 1/3rd on the river? Your sizing looks like KQ/KJ, so I'd probably lean towards a call. But in general, I'm struggling to find what hands you'd be betting 1/3rd there other than as a value/block bet.

wasn't sure about my river bet sizing. Wasn't exactly betting considering a range just felt it'd be hard to get value from AK,AA if I went larger also to induce some bluffs from QJ perhaps vs this player

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

fold to 3b - 92%
fold to cbflop - 71%
wtsd -22

Id be more inclined to call the river given the sizing used it's more likely to induce bluffs.And you would think KK TT would either reraise either the flop or turn given the turn brings an additional flush draw and those hands are pretty vulnerable to draws.We might be missing some value from AA AK by not betting a bit bigger on the river as well and the larger bet should also reduce the bluffs in villains range on the river.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wasn't sure about my river bet sizing. Wasn't exactly betting considering a range just felt it'd be hard to get value from AK,AA if I went larger also to induce some bluffs from QJ perhaps vs this player

You want to think in terms of ranges here when betting though, especially if this is a reg. 1/3rd on this runout, it will be hard to have a good balance of bluffs and value that make sense. I'd have bet 1/2 and call a shove.

As far as how it ran out, I think a call is ok. There's enough bluffs and his bluffing range will increase considering your sizing. Also with the T, if he had an A in his hand that might also increase his bluffing %. Hopefully he didn't have KK. Doesn't seem like he should have KT, but he could have played it a bit goofy.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there professor Anhalt, how you doing? I have a doubt here and I promisse to be short.
You speak about these stats WTSD and W$SD, but I don't remember you talking about a volume of hands played.
For example, I know that for 3-bet preflop we need at least one thousand hands for a reliable information. For river bets/raises we need something between 15 K and 20 K hands, at least, for the information to be trustworthy.
I confess that I don't use these stats WTSD and W$SD, because I don't know if it's safe for putting, for instance a turn/river bluff having only these statistics on my side. I like to consider a lot of human (psychology) and mathematical (rational deduction/logic) factors before taking a serious decision of risking my stack having only HUD stats.
How do you think we should really use it and which volume of hands are needed for us to make decisions based upon it?

Regards;

Those are stats that take a lot longer to normalize, for the more hands the better. Somewhere over 5k+ I'd say on average. But in general, with all stats, even small samples, if you have stats that are way outside of the norm, you can assume the person is likely goes to showdown more than you should, or is tight and doesn't.