Polished Poker Vol. I Study Group

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm checking the turn because it's unlikely he has a draw, he most likely has a pair. I don't think we're going to get 3streets if he does have a 9,4 or PP and I don't think he's ever folding an ace.

Ok, so let's say you check the turn. The River is a blank - say: 3c. Now your opponents bets 10bb into 22.5bb pot. Are you calling, folding, raising?

If you were to only call, what size would you be comfortable calling for?

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so let's say you check the turn. The River is a blank - say: 3c. Now your opponents bets 10bb into 22.5bb pot. Are you calling, folding, raising?

what is this 20 questions lol??? thought it was QoD not 2 QoDs :eek:

hes either thin valuing his Ace or value betting cos he just hit 2 pairs Ace 3 or flopped trips or bluffing, PS Good question!!
Id call maybe up to 14 and hope he has more than 60% bluffs

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what is this 20 questions lol??? thought it was QoD not 2 QoDs :eek:

hes either thin valuing his Ace or value betting cos he just hit 2 pairs Ace 3 or flopped trips or bluffing, PS Good question!!
Id call maybe up to 14 and hope he has more than 60% bluffs

Just keeping you on your toes. I'll eventually make an important point here... I hope. :)

I think 60% bluffs is way too high (especially on this kind of flop texture). You don't have any hands or data on this guy, but he limp / called in the CO. He's likely not going to very aggressive on average.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

With no reads I'm not happy about him betting on the end but I'm calling the 10bb's. I'm not 100% comfortable with going for thin value with zero reads or stats though. But I think the right thing to do is bet a bit more than 1/3p.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When he calls the flop bet oop on this board he has most likely made a pair. When he bets the river it will most likely be for value, with the Q on the turn you would expect most 9s and 4s to be checking to get to showdown although I guess he could be turning a 4 into a bluff.

Lets see if I can work this out. If we say he has us beat 75% of the time with a pair of aces or better, the other 25% is for bluffs, 9s and just the usual 2NL spaziness.
If we need to pay 10bb to win 42.5bb we need to win roughly 23-24% of the time so we should call.
If the bet was 15bb to win 52.5bb we would need to win about 28% of the time so we should fold.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alright... here's a spot guys that will happen a decent amount of the time. Are you betting or checking the turn and why? If you're betting, what sizing?

iPoker - $2 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 98.5 BB
CO: 117.82 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J<font color='red'>♦</font> Q<font color='red'>♥</font>

fold, fold, CO calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 4.5 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 3.5 BB

Flop: (10.5 BB, 2 players) A<font color='red'>♥</font> 9<font color='black'>♠</font> 4<font color='black'>♣</font>
CO checks, Hero bets 6 BB, CO calls 6 BB

Turn: (22.5 BB, 2 players) Q<font color='red'>♦</font>
CO checks,

Okay so we know anyone even half decent doesn't open limp in the cut off unless they are looking to trap. But here has has just sat down he won't have any reads unless we did something unusual in the 2 hands played so there is no need to limp trap this early.
The assumption is then he is a fish and even a fish can come up with an opening raise from the CO with an Ace or a pair. I'm not totally discounting a weak suited ace or a pair of 4 as there are still plenty that never raise but imo unlikely.
Much more likely he has some sort suited connectors in the range 45 to T9 where he wants to see a flop.
So we make our standard C bet and he calls. The board is ultra dry (why does the wife spring to mind, anyway)
He must have a pair or maybe backdoor straight / flush draw As a beginner I always peeled when I still had a chance of a str or flush.
The Q isn't going to help him unless he had JT which might, if suited have raised pre, off suit could be there.
It's close between betting and checking as I think the best we can hope for from most of his range is one more bet.
So if we bet, benefits;
1. he may be a calling station and call 3 streets regardless with a pair of 9s,
2 we charge JT if he has it.
3 Also I want to be pretty aggressive most of the time especially on the button.
Cons
1. he might fold now
2 and we are reducing his chance to bluff,
3. we are building a big pot with a small hand.

If we check the turn
Benefits
1. It makes us look like we missed the ace which can either induce a bet/bluff or
2. a looser call on the river.
Cons
We lose value if he was a station
We have no idea of his bluffing frequency.
He could back into 2 pairs/ trips (5 outs if he has 9x or 4x )
He might bet large putting us in a tough spot.

Overall I might favour betting the turn. I dont particularly want to face a large river bet with the off chance he has an Ace or set. I'd rather stay in control of the hand and glean the info that betting would produce as opposed to checking.
If he check raises now I'm probably losing less than calling on the river anyway.
I'd be reasonably happy if he folds taking the hand with my medium holding. If he calls again on the turn I'm paying a lot of attention to the River card and how it fits with his potential holdings. I'm probably assuming mostly 9x now with some JT & weak aces& sets of 4s
Turn sizing. 40-50% gets more calls from 9x than 60-80 and is still enough to charge the draw.

So if we check, it bricks and he bets out what am I calling? Up to about 60% pot.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So are we going to revisit the goals we set for the year at the start of the 2nd workbook thread?
I for one have not achieved on most of my goals, plateaued and need to look at and think about what's blocking me. I'll debrief fully in my thread and post the main findings here.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When he calls the flop bet oop on this board he has most likely made a pair. When he bets the river it will most likely be for value, with the Q on the turn you would expect most 9s and 4s to be checking to get to showdown although I guess he could be turning a 4 into a bluff.

Lets see if I can work this out. If we say he has us beat 75% of the time with a pair of aces or better, the other 25% is for bluffs, 9s and just the usual 2NL spaziness.
If we need to pay 10bb to win 42.5bb we need to win roughly 23-24% of the time so we should call.
If the bet was 15bb to win 52.5bb we would need to win about 28% of the time so we should fold.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good answers everyone. Quick note above no brainer - we don't win our own money on the end so it would be call 10 to win 32.5.

I think you guys worked through most of the parts of that hand. There's one important point though. If you're willing to call up to say 10 or even 13 bbs as some of you have said, then why not just bet that on the turn yourself? With no reads at all, you don't know your opponents bluffing tendencies, but you do know that he is probably somewhat passive if he's limp / called in the CO, and then checked 2 streets already. If you bet the turn, and then he bets the river, you can safely fold. It's unlikely he's check /calling, and once you've bet 2 streets, this suddenly passive person is going to bluff the river. That seems more unlikely than he his range is something like this -
Ax, 9x, 4x, small pairs.

So your two options are, bet the turn and bomb the river to get him off of Ax. I personally wouldn't advise this, because from experience against unknown fish I've seen them call down w/ Ace rag far too often. I'd say, trying to move him off Ace rag wouldn't be profitable long term. And if he was "trapping" by limping AA or a strong Ace, he's obviously not folding.

The second option is we size a bet that a passive player would call w/ hands we beat - 9x, 4x, small pairs - 22/33/55/66/77/88. This way by betting, you get value from those hands and you've decided how the river plays. If your opponent bets, you're folding. You also size your opponent secondary value bets. If you're opponents bets 12+ w/ 9x, you're not folding the best hand on the river. Without knowing your opponents bluffing range, I think it's generally better to decide, how much am I willing to call on the river, and then bet that amount yourself. Generally speaking, if you've bet the flop and turn, your opponents will check the river. And if they do bet, you can generally safely fold.

So what actually happened in the hand - I bet 8bbs on the turn. My opponent called. River was 7x. My opponent checked, I checked, and they turned over 97s and I lost. I assume they were going for a check raise.

Now if I checked the turn, I'm getting at least a half sized pot bet on the river, and I'd be in a pretty in between spot there. Call / fold would be pretty close EV wise. I'd probably fold, and only be willing to call up to ~ 10 bbs. I'm also not super worries about getting blown off my hand by betting small on the turn. The board is super dry in this case (and even if it wasn't it's ok in a lot of these spots), my opponent is most likely passive, and my hand still looks strong enough to not want to try and go for more value w/ Ax, or turn other hands into bluffs.

If my opponents had whiffed the river, it's unlikely he calls another bet if I bet 3 streets, so checking behind has no difference. And like I said, he's almost always checking the river to me when I bet that turn. It's always better to be the person making the decision imho. If I improve, I can bet again, if I don't I can take a showdown.

I saved myself probably 2-3bbs by betting the turn. The moral of the story here is make sure you're asking yourself what you're willing to call when you have position on the river, and seeing if it makes more sense to just bet that amount or less yourself.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And yes, please. Let's post goals for 2016. This is going to be a good year. I want everyone on CC in here posting goals. Yes, you... do it. :)

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And yes, please. Let's post goals for 2016. This is going to be a good year. I want everyone on CC in here posting goals. Yes, you... do it. :)

I need to rewind to the day I kicked the black cat 13 times into a mirror whilst walking under a ladder.

Think my biggest + for the year is not breaking any mice whilst running bad. Poker should be enjoyed whilst playing and frustration doesnt help

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good answers everyone. Quick note above no brainer - we don't win our own money on the end so it would be call 10 to win 32.5.
Yup as John said its Risk/(Risk +Reward) and reward is whats in the pot or the amount we win
so
Risk/(Risk +Reward)
10/(10 +22.5) ~10/32.5 = 30.7% based on caling 10
13/(13 +22.5) ~13/35.5 = 36.6% based on caling 13
15/(10 +22.5) ~15/47.5 = 40.0% based on caling 15

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like I might be the first for goals.

I'm really excited about 2016. 2015 has been an absolutely amazing year and a few things that have happened have set me up to really stretch my legs and run with this whole poker thing.

1. Crush 10nl 6max. In the last 3 months I've made some tweaks to my game @ 5nl 6 max and have turned my continual loosing streak into a +bb style. That's huge for me! I don't think I'm beating the game by much but we will see what happens as the sample size gets larger.

2. Learn basic GTO strategy and build a bankroll large enough to take a shot at 25nl HU.

Have you ever heard the term "The universe will rise to meet you"? For a few years I've been sending out the thought that I want to be really good at poker. But to be able to do that I need help. I would study a lot but didn't get anywhere. Everything felt like misplaced puzzle pieces. I also had some relationship issues that were impending my success so I ended up stopping play completely. This year things changed. Late last year I had to let go of some things that were pretty hard to move away from and I had to grow and learn to take care of self. Then one day (around March) I simply told the universe that I'm ready. I'm ready to be the best poker player that I possibly can but I still need guidance. And I meant it wholeheartedly. Well, the universe reached out and supplied. I now believe that I have the best opportunity that I will ever have to be the best poker player I am able to be.

3. Learn to multi table @ 2nl 6 max. My short term goal for this year is to profitably play 2nl 6max on 4 tables. That may not seem like a lot to many of you but this will set me up for next year and next year's growth.

4. Be a more insightful and knowledgeable contributor to this thread and this site. Cardschat and you guys have all helped me greatly and I want to pay it back anyway I can. I value greatly what you guys share and do my best to assimilate the information that you all give freely.

My wish for you guys in 2016 is that you are also given what you ask the universe to provide. Many thanks and positive vibes peoples! Positive vibes 😀

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey John,

I did register to the site there but lost the email with the link to download it.

How do I get it again?

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post sneaky, I suppose I'll follow your lead.

The second half of 2015 has been a trying six months for me. Lets just say I've been running bad at life lol. I'm ready to let the past be past, ignore the variance of the world and hone in on the things I can control and work to be better all the time, regardless of how the board runs out. Bring on 2016!!

My poker goals:

1. Play 30hrs/Week

2. Play five live tournaments as well as playing live cash more regularly

3. Get a coach, start someone in poker that I can mentor

4. Be rolled for 1000nl by 2017

5. Move back towards a more balanced and healthy lifestyle

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Current goal is to move up to 25NL with 50NL being obtainable by the end of the year.

Going to do this by
1. Actually playing cash games, not those stupid donkaments...
2. Study, first is Polished Poker, then see what I can get out of Dynamic Full Ring Poker by Splitsuit, even though I am looking to focus on 6max. Rather than just reading I have bought myself a notebook to actully write down notes as I go through these books. Other things to look at are the COTW threads on that other poker forum.
3. Review sessions, post hand histories and review others.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. I hope you all had a happy and safe New Years!

First session of the year and I managed to book a win but I found myself in a few interesting spots.

These two spots are very similar. In the second hand I had 5x isolated for what was the 3rd time in a row so I figured I was more likely being messed with by that guy. Let me know what you guys think about these two spots and I'll post the results later.

PokerStars - $2 NL - Holdem - 8 players

BTN: 91.88 BB (VPIP: 25.81, PFR: 9.68, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 32)
SB: 76.8 BB (VPIP: 35.29, PFR: 11.76, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
BB: 167.28 BB (VPIP: 20.59, PFR: 14.71, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 34)
UTG: 91.98 BB (VPIP: 20.59, PFR: 5.88, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 34)
UTG+1: 73.5 BB (VPIP: 35.71, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
Hero (MP): 159.5 BB
MP+1: 108.6 BB (VPIP: 23.53, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 34)
CO: 104.23 BB (VPIP: 29.41, PFR: 26.47, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 34)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 17 BB, fold, UTG+1 calls 16 BB, Hero calls 12 BB

Flop: (52 BB, 3 players) 4 6 4
SB bets 52 BB, fold, Hero raises to 142.5 BB and is all-in, SB calls 7.8 BB and is all-in

Turn: (171.6 BB, 2 players) K

River: (171.6 BB, 2 players) 8

PokerStars - $2 NL - Holdem - 8 players

UTG+1: 98.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
Hero (MP): 123.79 BB
MP+1: 49 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
CO: 77.83 BB (VPIP: 15.00, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 3.85, Hands: 80)
BTN: 149.2 BB (VPIP: 25.45, PFR: 15.60, 3Bet Preflop: 2.94, Hands: 110)
SB: 99.75 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 9)
BB: 210.7 BB (VPIP: 15.60, PFR: 6.42, 3Bet Preflop: 5.56, Hands: 110)
UTG: 44.3 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T T

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, CO raises to 17.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 12.5 BB

Flop: (37.5 BB, 2 players) 9 7 3
Hero checks, CO bets 37.5 BB, Hero raises to 106.29 BB and is all-in, CO calls 22.83 BB and is all-in

Turn: (158.15 BB, 2 players) A

River: (158.15 BB, 2 players) 2

This is also similar to the above spots because of the middling kicker. This was an easier fold than the first two but still somewhat close I think.

PokerStars - $2 NL - Holdem - 9 players

MP+2: 107.8 BB (VPIP: 19.44, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 5.56, Hands: 72)
Hero (CO): 137.11 BB
BTN: 77.06 BB (VPIP: 16.98, PFR: 15.09, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 53)
SB: 107.03 BB (VPIP: 18.87, PFR: 16.98, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 53)
BB: 115.25 BB (VPIP: 27.71, PFR: 15.85, 3Bet Preflop: 4.00, Hands: 83)
UTG: 166.09 BB (VPIP: 18.29, PFR: 3.66, 3Bet Preflop: 2.78, Hands: 83)
UTG+1: 143.08 BB (VPIP: 13.25, PFR: 4.82, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 83)
MP: 48.08 BB (VPIP: 63.49, PFR: 3.17, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 65)
MP+1: 58.9 BB (VPIP: 9.09, PFR: 4.55, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q T

fold, fold, MP calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, fold, MP calls 5 BB

Flop: (13.5 BB, 2 players) 3 Q 6
MP checks, Hero bets 6.75 BB, MP raises to 42.08 BB and is all-in, fold

MP wins 25.65 BB

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ
I hate these spots, and there isn't a great deal you can do other than call it off. We don't know much about him so he could have any overpair right through to AQ AK maybe even AJ. Obviously the King on the turn is the sickner as his bad shoves with AK all get there. AA KK shouldn't really be shoving. If he bets half pot on that flop I'd be more concerned.

TT this one is different because the villain is confirmed tag and hands that beat us like JJ QQ are betting to get rid of your AK AQ. I think I can fold on the flop against a guy with his stats. I can see he's fishy though so I don't blame you for calling it off again the A in the run out probably takes it away from us.

Last hand who knows but his general lack of aggression suggests that you are beat GF.

Last edited:
F

fishinthesea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
or3o, you don't use the aggression factor or percent in your HUD? It's helpful in reviewing hands on here also.

or3o1990

or3o1990

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ
I hate these spots, and there isn't a great deal you can do other than call it off. We don't know much about him so he could have any overpair right through to AQ AK maybe even AJ. Obviously the King on the turn is the sickner as his bad shoves with AK all get there. AA KK shouldn't really be shoving. If he bets half pot on that flop I'd be more concerned.

TT this one is different because the villain is confirmed tag and hands that beat us like JJ QQ are betting to get rid of your AK AQ. I think I can fold on the flop against a guy with his stats. I can see he's fishy though so I don't blame you for calling it off again the A in the run out probably takes it away from us.

Last hand who knows but his general lack of aggression suggests that you are beat GF.
The villains had JJ in both of the first two hands. I kind of wanted to fold the 10's but his sizing on the flop seemed more like it wanted a fold. That added to the fact that I'd 5x'd three times in a row I decided he wanted me to go away, so I didn't.

or3o, you don't use the aggression factor or percent in your HUD? It's helpful in reviewing hands on here also.

It is in my hud, idk why it doesn't show in my stats when I post hands.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
similar to above overcards on flop

Hand 1

poker stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
SB: $10 (100 bb) VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 11, AF: 4.0, Hands: 43
BB: $23.11 (231.1 bb)
UTG: $27.35 (273.5 bb)
MP: $13.18 (131.8 bb)
CO: $2.95 (29.5 bb)
Hero (BTN): $15.92 (159.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB raises to $0.90, BB folds, Hero calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.90) 6
spade4.gif
club4.gif
club4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10

Turn: ($4.10) T
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $2.27, Hero ???

Hand 2
***** Hand History for Game 1111111111 ***** (Poker Stars)
$10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Saturday, January 02, 02:56:00 ET 2016
Table Klinkenberg 2 (real money)
Seat 1 is the button
Seat 1: Player1 ( $11.31 USD ) - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 1
Seat 2: Player2 ( $13.16 USD ) - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 5
Seat 3: Player3 ( $3.93 USD ) - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 1
Seat 4: Player4 ( $13.14 USD ) - VPIP: 24, PFR: 20, 3B: 11, AF: 4.5, Hands: 101
Seat 5: Hero ( $10.00 USD ) - VPIP: 22, PFR: 17, 3B: 9, AF: 2.5, Hands: 101689
Seat 6: Player6 ( $14.32 USD ) - VPIP: 100, PFR: 100, 3B: 100, AF: 2.0, Hands: 1
Player2 posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
Player3 posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Jc Js ]
Player4 folds
Hero raises [$0.30 USD]
Player6 raises [$1.00 USD]
Player1 folds
Player2 folds
Player3 folds
Hero calls [$0.70 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7h, 5d, 4c ]
Hero checks
Player6 bets [$1.02 USD]
Hero calls [$1.02 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Tc ]
Hero checks
Player6 bets [$2.00 USD]
Hero ????????

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
another one but slightly easier to play although how would you maximise value

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $11.78 (117.8 bb)
BB: $22.33 (223.3 bb)
UTG: $12.03 (120.3 bb)
MP: $20.65 (206.5 bb) 24/17 A% 39 3B 0.0 H 72
Hero (CO): $10.27 (102.7 bb)
BTN: $12.64 (126.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7
club4.gif
heart4.gif

UTG folds, MP raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 5
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
J
club4.gif
(2 players)
MP bets $0.54, Hero raises to $1.60, MP calls $1.06

Turn: ($3.95) 8
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
MP checks, Hero ????

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey John,

I did register to the site there but lost the email with the link to download it.

How do I get it again?

If you mean for polished poker, then just register w/ a new e-mail or ping me on skype and I can send it to you.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good goals everyone. I'd suggest taking each one and naming the first steps you need to do in order to achieve that goal.

I hope everyone had a fun and safe new years. I definitely did, and just back in town today.

2016 -

This is going to be a big year for me in a lot of ways. Business wise, I'm diversifying and starting another business. 2014-15 were rebound years after the blow of black Friday. Things have been slowly turning around again, which is great because I love doing what I do.

Poker Goals

1) I really wanted to start moving up and playing w/ the best again, but not sure how realistic it will be based on other new goals that have come up in the last 4-5 months. I'm not going to put a lot of pressure on myself for poker goals this year. Just keep playing every month, and continue to keep my game sharp.

2) Poker instruction - I have a new book I want to write that will be much different than anything I've done before - or anyone has for that matter. I've been thinking about it for awhile, and discussed it w/ my wife as far as taking it to a publisher. So first part is start writing. I have ideas and chapters sketched out, and I want to make progress on this. There's no rush for this book though.

3) Continue to expand Polished poker and add more weekly lessons. I like the size of the group we've kept. I've not advertised it anywhere or to our customers so we could have a relatively intimate group that can grow together and enjoy the game.

Personal goals
1) I did something I never said I'd do and signed up for yoga a week ago. :) So my goal is to be one of those people who crowd the gyms for the first 3 months of the new year, but actually stay with it and go the whole year.

2) Grow my relationship w/ my daughter. She's hitting those critical pre-teen years and I want to make more time for her and do several dad/daughter days where she gets to pick what she wants to do and we can just spend time together.

3) Make more of an effort to make sure my friends and family feel love and supported by me. I can get super busy and while I know they understand these things, I'm aware I need to make sure they see my efforts to let them know how meaningful and special they are.

This is going to be a big year guys. I hope we can all talk about our successes this time next year!

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
similar to above overcards on flop

Hand 1

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
SB: $10 (100 bb) VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 11, AF: 4.0, Hands: 43
BB: $23.11 (231.1 bb)
UTG: $27.35 (273.5 bb)
MP: $13.18 (131.8 bb)
CO: $2.95 (29.5 bb)
Hero (BTN): $15.92 (159.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB raises to $0.90, BB folds, Hero calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.90) 6
spade4.gif
club4.gif
club4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10

Turn: ($4.10) T
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $2.27, Hero ???

Call. He's probably still bad enough to be doubling with air at these stakes, and if he triples w/ air... then good for him. But I think against someone like this you have to call and use your position.

Hand 2
***** Hand History for Game 1111111111 ***** (Poker Stars)
$10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Saturday, January 02, 02:56:00 ET 2016
Table Klinkenberg 2 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Seat 1: Player1 ( $11.31 USD ) - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 1
Seat 2: Player2 ( $13.16 USD ) - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 5
Seat 3: Player3 ( $3.93 USD ) - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 1
Seat 4: Player4 ( $13.14 USD ) - VPIP: 24, PFR: 20, 3B: 11, AF: 4.5, Hands: 101
Seat 5: Hero ( $10.00 USD ) - VPIP: 22, PFR: 17, 3B: 9, AF: 2.5, Hands: 101689
Seat 6: Player6 ( $14.32 USD ) - VPIP: 100, PFR: 100, 3B: 100, AF: 2.0, Hands: 1
Player2 posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
Player3 posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Jc Js ]
Player4 folds
Hero raises [$0.30 USD]
Player6 raises [$1.00 USD]
Player1 folds
Player2 folds
Player3 folds
Hero calls [$0.70 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7h, 5d, 4c ]
Hero checks
Player6 bets [$1.02 USD]
Hero calls [$1.02 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Tc ]
Hero checks
Player6 bets [$2.00 USD]
Hero ????????

He likely doesn't have anything w/ that bet sizing. I almost would want to min check-raise to see if he can spazz out. But I don't mind c/c c/c either.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99 hand above I folded on the turn although looking back no with aggression of 47% should have called at least another one.

JJ hand maybe thinking about hand before had something to do with it. When they led $2 on turn I shoved $7.98 into $6.19. Do you think its better to flat the $2 I always worry about Ace or King or Queen hitting on River and they shove what do you do then.

Is it OK to call the $2 and if A, K or Q hit river and they fired $4 or $5 into pot of $8 do you call.