Playing pocket aces preflop?all in or slow play?

S

Sweetchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tribet and look what are partners will be answer)

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: open 3x from early positions if you get 3bet you can shove if you are sure he will play for all chips,if somone else opens ans gets few callers then alwayes 3bet cos we dont want multiway action with AA.Slowplaying preflop is good in situations like you are opening on button/small blind and people behind are short stakes there you can try with limp or minreise button to induce them to shove.Also if you get in blind vs blind situation postflop with short stake he will often give you all his chips with second pair on the flop. EDIT: oh god i didnt saw this is cash game subforum i was sure i was writing in tortumant forum lol

theman2017

theman2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you slow play aces in a cash game or in a tournament you will get smacked around and lose more times with aces. Yes you will lose more money. Never let them see the flop or past the flop. Shove it all in

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By slow play you can get more value but also you riskying to be punished.

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelent

If you go all in, that's a gambling. Try not to gamble. Maybe it not destiny you to win. Play easy play smart. If you are low stack, you can consider gambling, otherwise go check flop.. little rise is ok pre flop, expecting big cards will follow or re raise, but play by knowing that for example J 10 can call you or less and hit the straight or two pairs, having two same cards in hand is not that big advantage in my book, praxis shown me that
gambling is not good for your money. Progressive betting is best choise.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
generally you should 3bet for max value. but if your opponent really passive player and has a high fold frequency, you can slow play. but dont do these against multiple opponents.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in or Slow Play? you're missing the main option......Raise 3+ depending on where and what you are playing. I will only slow play my aces if I know my opponent is only plays with premium hands...So I know their range is AK/AQ suited Qs or Better. If Im going all in with aces my stack is either short or the Bubble is Vastly approaching and Im trying to snag a fish.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Doyle says, "you either win a small pot, or loose a large one with AA". Totally depends is the answer. I frequently suck in players and then get out flopped or turned...

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think neither..i like too "cast a net" raise a large amount say 5-7 blinds or 1/4 to 1/3 stack depending on situation like position game type ect...that way most people with lower connectors n suited will get out..only people with aces n kings or jj qq usually remain...be weary of boards making pairs being suited or connected..sometimes i like to fire another bet to see how they react if they snap call or re-raise maybe think about it, also allot of people assume ur bluffing on flop aggression, plus theyll be that much more committed on turn n more likely to follow u all in...obviously you have to judge every situation there are some times i PF shove, but rarely slow play allowing some one to catch a good hand on a limp. wanna weed out all but other high pairs n connectors ur gonna cancel most of those out n have them all beat..unless they catch a set with lower pair should b good....

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there
Obviously it depends on several factors as your stack, position, if read other players etc etc
But i myself would go allin no matter what
For me it has paid a lot of times maybe 80% of the time
rgds

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i always see how table has been playing if there a few players that call on any bet i will three bet. If i am low stack i will go all in.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Neither... play it like every other hand.

Best answer I've read so far is this ^ one.

Play it like any other hand you'd play.... adapt to the situation in front of you (play it based on a number of factors that make up your current situation). Poker is situation dependent. Newer players try hard to make things black & white when this is often not the case with poker.

My other obvious observation from this thread, many in here seem to not have experience playing post flop poker (or they're afraid of it?). Easy answer > "Learn how to Play"
Ways you might want to go about that could include playing 100bb deep cash table poker. Even if you're hoping to get better at MTT's, try putting in 50,000 hands of NLHE cash tables, 100bb's deep, even if needing to start off at the lowest of limits available (ie. "2nl" $0.01/$0.02 blinds). I assure you that your Tournament game will improve considerably.

If the OP's question is pertaining to "How to play AA in a freeroll?" (which I'm guessing it does), then this too is dependent upon the situation... BUT simple answer is > IF you have a great chance of other players willing to call off open shoves WIDE... then by all means put all your chips in preflop & don't even bother with a 3x bb raise... or a 3-bet over another raiser's open. Just shove it in. Simple.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything matters. Players, stack size, position, cash game or tournament, how many players at the table, How well do you know the players at your table. Those all play a part in your decision.

B

bigdoggg325

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aces pre flop never fold, after flop be careful

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This isn't an either or situation. There is a huge gap in between where you can just bet them without shoving. Always shoving is going to be obvious. Always slow playing is going to get you sucked out a lot. There's a balance. You can open from any position and likely want to keep the betting lead.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How should I play it?does position matter?

Although position always matters I'm looking to be as aggressive as I can with AA. I don't adjust my raise size with them because obviously I want action, but I'm definitely looking to 3 and 4 bet with them hoping to get it in pre. No matter if a beat is coming my way or not it makes me get all giddy inside when an opponent shoves and I have aces.

A good recent hand I played at Foxwoods illustrates this. It was 2-5 cash and I was in the sb with AA. The highjack who was about 1200 effective raised to 25 it folded to me and I made it 90 with about 1500 behind. He raised to 200 and then I made it 650, he shoved and I insta called. The board ran out Q high and he announced Jacks I showed the AA and got a good 2700+ pot. Just shows that sometimes being super agro with premo hands can be +ev..

On a funny side note the kid said he put me on a small pair hence the shove with Jacks. An older gentlemen smiled at him and said good read kid good read lol.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play the pair of ace aggressively always increasing or re-rising if you already see an increase make slow play with pair of ace is not good
be always aggressive.

F

Fishhuntercn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably it should be raise about 4-5 BB,if reraise,push allin.

J

jdmBlue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get as many chips in as possible. First raise continue to re-raise and call all in if you have to. I agree do not slow play you need to be aggressive with this hand.

Yoda82

Yoda82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not slow play Aces. Always raise them preflop and make people commit to beating them. Always re-raise someone else’s raise pre-flop. If you are multi-way, raise bigger to thin the field. AA isn’t nearly as effective when you get a third player in the hand.

R

roman5551993

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better to play cautiously, but sometimes you can and take risks.

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Shouldn't go allin directly. Scaring people away.

With any poker hand you want them to have something so if they are not betting they don't have anything. And if they are betting, it's time to make your move.

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yesterday, Cash Game. I’m in the big blind with 27. All folded, the small blind checks. The flop comes 227. The opponent raises, I answer. He raises on the river, I answer. He puts all his chips on the turn. At the showdown, he has AA and he loses. Draw conclusions. If there was a raise preflop, he would not fall into this trap with aces. I would not play the trash hand.