Playing A/K

Madrussian3

Madrussian3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am really surprised at how many people say it is hard to let A/K go when they completely miss the flop. Yes this is a big hand but it is still a drawing hand. Why play on when you miss and waste the chips?:confused: I hav e kow problem letting it go you will lose more than you will win for sure.

J

jonfelkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I vary rarely play on with AK, unless its cheap and im on some kind of draw (Normally Flush) having the nut flush with the 2 overcards to hit as well is the only situation i keep playing this unless the bet is giving me good odds to hit an A or K and making the best hand. But i agree it is easy to get away from this hand when the situation is not in your favour.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's one of the reasons I like playing AK so much. If you hit, you most likely have the best hand. If you miss, it's easy to let go. Much tougher when you have like KJ and the K comes, or worse the J is the top pair. You have a decent hand but there are several hands that not only have you beat but are dominating you at that point.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ability to muck an AK when you miss the flop is critical to success. You actually have fewer outs (on draws) than KQ or other paint cards.

I agree with jon. Unless the board pairs with A or K, or I've got suited with two chances for a nut flush draw, I'm mucking when anybody comes on stronger than a min bet.

It's kinda like being backed into the corner with a bazooka. Yeah, you have the power, but what good does that do you? You will get burned if you keep playing with it.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not a "drawing hand" (and damn Lee Jones for writing that in a book about low LIMIT holdem).

from this thread:

The advantages of AK are mostly in it's preflop value:

1. Fold equity. This is the biggest advantage of AK. For me it is almost alway a REraising hand preflop. For you to take advantage of this, you MUST play it aggressively (your opponent must fold). Small pairs can't really call you for fear that you have a bigger pair when you play it aggressively. If you do get called, even by something like QQ, you are still only a slight dog.

2. Pre-flop dominating hand. This is mostly applicable against donks who will call you with Ax soooooded. Inversely, you are only really dominated vs AA or KK (and you have about 30% vs KK).

3. Post flop your top pair always has top kicker when you hit.

Obviously when your opponent goes all in he has neutralized AK's biggest advantage as he can no longer fold. Against two random cards that don't include either and ace or a king you are not that big of a favorite with five to come, as other posters pointed out. But you don't ever really want to be calling an all in with very many hands (AA and KK excepted)-- YOU want to be the one doing the raising or pushing.

Just to look at it another way, let's compare AK to a small pair, say 55.

AK is a dominating hand. IF your raise is called you are (most likely) either:

1. way ahead (vs. a weaker ace)
OR
2. in a 50/50ish race.

With 55 you are (most likely) either:

1. way behind (vs. a bigger pair)
OR
2. in a 50/50ish race.

See the difference?

K

Kennyseven

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not a "drawing hand" (and damn Lee Jones for writing that in a book about low LIMIT holdem).

from this thread:
Very well put. I like the reraising AK part. Will pack that into my little bag of tricks!

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well honestly i like Ak and win with it if i hit.....other than a continuation type scenerio you honestly shouldnt bet the flop if you miss i mean you have ace high.lol anyways i was once told by someone that was teaching me how to play poker that if you miss dont be upset i mean its just AK you can miss with any A and get beat by QJ really lol..

M

Mike G

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am really surprised at how many people say it is hard to let A/K go when they completely miss the flop. Yes this is a big hand but it is still a drawing hand.

It shouldn't be that hard to let it go, but at the same time you are supposed to like this hand because it dominates so many others. If a Ten is the highest card on the flop, you should many times love AK. Assuming your opponent didn't flop a set, any card over T will put him into trouble. Any card over T will give you a gutshot draw on top of your six outs. On the other hand if there's two T+ cards on the flop, your gutshot is already there.

Don't treat AK with caution. Treat AK as what it is - a dominating hand that is almost always the best hand when you enter into a pot.