Player notes

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha, as nerdy as i can be, i never thought of designing a template for notes. its usually just a quick deal. i've been multitabling a lot either micro or free so its hard to take notes because i have a lot less time. however when i just have a single table going, i'm taking notes like a mad man. if you're not a note taker, you'd really be surprised how they eventually come in handy. if you've played for an hour at a table with some guy at some point, and taken notes on a few key hands (or several, especially if he's awful), you have the inside scoop over everybody else...especially if you're in position with a horrible player you have notes on, your range can open up quite a bit...why let him steal all those pots from everybody else in the first bunch of hands that don't know about him? today i was in a sng...player in there i had notes on from i don't know when that said "std raise with 52o, re-raised a re-raise, went all in, sucked out QQ"...the third hand of the sng, i had AK...he min-raised...i 3x raised his raise, and he shoved....i shove and he turns over 68s. i hit my both A and K on the flop and he rainbowed his way to bye-bye land. i mean, ok, that's just one god awful player, but had i not had those notes, i probably would have been a little more nervous.

things i like to take note on consistantly:
-limps AA,KK,QQ,AK,AQ...immediately noted
-shoves AA,KK,QQ,AK,AQ regardless of their stack (maybe this is due to bad beats)
-overbets...preflop raises 5-10xBB, postflop bets pot-sized or way over the size of the pot. i really want to see what cards they hold here. i really hope they stick around long enough to get to see.
-cold calling/check-calling, doesn't lay down top, middle, bottom pair...this really comes in handy when you have AK or something and you miss, or when you have AA and they have a pair of 5s. if this is a pattern they've established,you know when to keep the pot big or small and take your chances against them having trips. cold calling is usually their mistake...this also relates to chasers...ppl with a shot at a straight or a flush. if you know they're going to call an all-in, call any bet, or check-check...there's no need for me to pay them big until the odds are truly in my favor
-protects blind...will call any std raise to their blind with whatever. this is truly an AK killer...watch it with the c-bets here definitely.
-chronic limper...limps any two cards...calls any ol raise
-career check-raiser...this is often a noob. AA limper, min-raise a bet, pot raise a bet...check and raise with nuts...other than that, they're pretty passive. these are people who will fold anything but AA and KK preflop if they can't limp them in. and there's also just the passive fish. play every two cards and any raise they see reasonable enough to call with their JTo. the former will fold anything or raise you after checking...the latter will either fold or call...
-the shit talker...when does he talk shit? he's giving you and everyone else tells and he doesn't even understand it. for instance, you're playing 6 sngs. there's 4 ppl left in the one he's in, you're the shortstacker and haven't played a hand in a little while...he's talking trash about you. that's a leak in his game...he doesn't know you're the chip leader in 3 other games, he's just playing one. its bothering him that you folded. he wants you gone so he's itm. he's tilting. he's worth the coinflip with any marginal hand so he can either say "thank god that amateur is gone" or he tilts beyond belief and bubbles because your K2s shove on his blind was good against his Q9 that he decided to call you with. he feels its his duty to concentrate on knocking you out, and forgets about the other players...that's great, because so often, i realize i've monied and he's gone, and check the hand history, and he's tried to raise in the cutoff and forgot about the guy on the button...trying to get to me...sweet deal. make note of the guys you can tilt, its not your fault they play every hand, i'll play high card with them any day.
-the i think you're bluffing guy. yeah, everyone's out to get you...but there's some hands and some bets to just not call a bluff with, go hump mel gibson or something its not a conspiracy.
-loves a-rag. not gonna lay it down, not ever ever ever gonna lay down ace-anything. there's a plus and a minus to this to your AK. they called your raise with an A6...and the flop is A62. hey man, not cool...especially if they're just gonna call you down...that's something to take note of

i could think of a lot more but i don't want to think too hard. there's something you must keep in mind in tournament play. "shoved 26o on me in the sb" is usually not worthy of taking note of if they've got 3BB's left. or "called all-in with 74o" when they're on the BB and the bb is 400 and it only costs him another 300 to call...i'll shove any two cards on anyone if i'm that short and call with any two cards on my blind if it costs me jack-shat to call. you have to keep situation in mind...where the time has expired as far as waiting to get dealt AA. that's just part of the game. so i try to take notes on things i find interesting. i flag ppl for decent play too...i find it harder to take notes on good players. and you have to keep in mind just because someone didn't play it the way you would have doesn't really mean they were wrong. sometimes you have to do something rather donktastic, and sometimes you will get caught...its cool...maybe they'll take notes on you too.

Last edited:
T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably should note more. I've actually found that the players I benefit most from noting are the poor players. Noting what kind of hands they will play pre flop or won't let go of even when they miss seems to be what helps me the most. I don't note the good players as much as I tend to actually remember them more.

Chronical23

Chronical23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow such in depth articles explaining note taking. Thank you very much. I am definitley going to start investing my time taking more notes....I just hate that on FTP there are sooooo many people lol and so little time :(