Play or fold suited low cards

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In short dump em. There are very few hands that play profitably in hold'em and small connectors even suited ones are not some of those hands. The 1 time you win a hand with them will not make up for the dozens of times you invest in them and lose.

Bronco_Bob83

Bronco_Bob83

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what Crumble said earlier. In late position, on A small raise with alot of caller, chances are most of the high cards are taken up. If someone does catch A high pair you've still got the flush and straight possibillities and with most of the good cards taken up it leaves alot of low ones for your straight. Plus it leaves good implied odds.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is you're normally on the low end of the straight with the low suited cards so the straight--even if you do hit--is voulnerable to someone playing higher connectors. Dump them unless you have position and are in an unraised pot and can act first and only seldom is it permissable then. You'll lose more bets than you'll win with low suited cards.

V

VegasGrinder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like playing weak suited cards. If you do hit your flush, you still need to be careful because any other flush is going to beat you. You realy will need to hit a straight or 2 pair to have any calling/betting value with this hand. So my advice is, don't play them. If you don't have the patiance to wait on good starting hands, you will not be profitable over the long haul in Poker and should find a new hobby. But if you must play, atleast make them connectors.

B

btown32

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends...

it depends on

what is your position?
where are you in the tournament?
or is it a live game and what limit?
do you know the players?
how many people are in the pot?
if you hit your hand, and you will have to hit it perfectly, will it be good?
are you playing limit or no-limit? in no-limit you can take someone off a hand.
what is your image?

generally, it is best to fold this hand. all it can do is get you in trouble against a bigger flush. there will always be spots to get your money in. if you win a big pot, it may only reinforce the bad habit of playing these types of hands on a regular basis. you cannot base your play on the results of a hand but rather on if you made the correct decisions at the time.

R

ruffcut68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play them once in a while but only carry on if hit a Straight Flush, a set or Quads. Hitting a straigh someone usually has the higher card when you play the low ones.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ahhhh, this thread brings back memories, one of my illustrious first 15 posts, back when I was trying to get Paradise freerolls passwords, but by the time i got enough, we weren't doing freerolls there anymore. Not sure exactly which post this was, but it was made on the day I joined, so it's one of my first. Ahhhh, LMFAO.... thanks rufcut for ressurecting it

-n

JoeySea

JoeySea

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I get a kick out of these threads. Its so hard to respond to questions like these. There are just too many factors to take into consideration...posistion..pot odds..reading/tells...deception? so on and so forth...To be honest I tend to play suited connectors..I do not play suited hands that are not connected...I am a fairly tight players but loosen up at times to play these hands..to throw some players off...being predictable in poker can be a huge issue that needs to be corrected if you want to be successful.

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suited connectors are okay.... I generally fold them to a substantial raise showing strength (3+x the bb) and will almost always limp in with them from middle - late position, but will fold anything under 78s from EP. I will call a raise from the BB with them, and i will complete the small blind, or call a min-raise from the small blind.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As always it depends but basically low suited connectors are why God invented the muck pile.

papa_dp

papa_dp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on the circumstances i like to play low suited connectors as much as possible, the chances of hitting a 2 pr, flush, str8 are all very common, from late position i will even sometimes call a 2-3xBB raise with a 67s or 78s. a few times in tournys i'll be on the button or even 1 or 2 positions behind the button and 1st position open raised a weak min raise and 3 callers ahead of me, i will make that call almost any day of the week, as long as my stack can afford it of course, then out comes a monster flop giving me the nut str8 or a open ended str8 flush draw or even a nice 2 pr.

these hands can often be shockers and pay out when you hit, try to play them as much as possible in early stages, often times you see flops for a lot cheaper making it a lot easier for you to stab a monster flop and bring home a monster pot.

Folding in Poker