planning on turning into a pro next week

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously?

OP is saying he's going to gamble away a significant part of his net worth while his income barely covers his living expenses and all you have to say is "Good luck Biff" ?

Do you also go to alcoholic anonymous meetings and offer the participants a beer or two?

:eek:

We don't know how good he is though. If you gave your live savings to a pro and they said they was going to build a roll from it playing with correct BR management, would you class it as a gamble or more of an investment? I'd class it as an investment and for sure would give my money away.

He might be the next best thing for all we know. I'd say he clearly isn't going to change his mind and I wouldn't be doing this myself personally but if someone is that motivated and you can't change their mind, then wishing them GL is the next best thing and hope it works out for them. He's putting a lot of money on the line to either make it or break it. I'm guessing there are a lot of pros who have done this in their time, taking a lot bigger risks than this and have been rewarded with a very healthy income.

So who knows, time will tell - will be nice to actually see his progress to be honest.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes the cotton-wool atmosphere of CC is a bad thing, not all the time, but at times like this, its bad.

Sure it's good for people to wish him luck rather than beat him down though and say how much of a bad idea or how he shouldn't be attempting it.

If he has the money, even if it means him withdrawing his retirement funds then it's his choice and I think GL is the only thing we can do.

Someone playing exclusively LIVE like he is have to ALWAYS take these steps, so if no one did this there would be no pros out there apart from online.

I'm interested in to knowing why you think it's a bad idea? If he's a bad player then yeah of course it's a bad idea but again, we don't know how good or bad he is and I'm sure he wouldn't be just doing it as a newcomer and this would be plain stupid. I can't imagine him wanting to gamble 15k if he didn't have an edge either, who knows though.

I'm sure if some of the top players at CC decided to go pro(maybe someone like you even), you/we would wish them all the good luck in the world, purely based on knowing what they are capable off. We, don't know what he is capable of and might be the next best thing since sliced bread!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even with the legendary softness of live $1/$2 games I've gotta say I agree with a lot of the comments above - this is an excellent recipe for losing $15K. Take things slower, make sure you can actually beat the games and as others have suggested consider investing or saving a chunk of the money instead. If you burn through even $5K playing $1/$2 and $50 tournaments then it's a pretty bad sign. And whatever you do don't sit in $2/$5 games before you're sure you're at least beating the level below.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We don't know how good he is though.

Are you kidding? Did you actually read the OP?

My plan is to play in this tourney every day and when I bust out play 1/2 no limit holdem untill I reach 8 pm or until I proffit 100 dollars for the day.

This is as fishy as it gets in terms of poker goals. It shows a very deep lack of knowledge and understanding of the variance of this game.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I read his post and it does seem very, erm fishy you're right. I didn't actually read it in dept to notice that last line, I struggle to concentrate and read one paragraph worded posts.

Then again, I think he has his heart set on it and regardless of what anyone says I think he will be going ahead and doing it I just think we should wish him luck either way and maybe give him some advice on which games to play. I agree though with starting at 5k and playing the smallest limits just to see how he gets on first. There's nothing worse than receiving negative feedback when you have a goal/dream.

If he is actually playing it without any real experience then this is just plain stupid and obviously with you all on the fact he shouldn't even bother, if it's just a phrase he's going through but I admire people who put their money on the line for a goal, but if it really is just a phase which I hope it isn't then I'm not sure what to say apart from maybe re think and try online first.

On another de rail belgo, I love the zero - freeroll - $10k post I recently saw. Very impressive and congrats, shame I didn't see it last year when I first joined. Please reply here or back to your OP in regards to the my question of how your roll is 2 years later.

Last edited:
SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes the cotton-wool atmosphere of CC is a bad thing, not all the time, but at times like this, its bad.

I'd say he clearly isn't going to change his mind and I wouldn't be doing this myself personally but if someone is that motivated and you can't change their mind, then wishing them GL is the next best thing and hope it works out for them.
Indeed. This doesn't strike me as a wise decision (to say the least), but if he seriously insists on following through with it against general consensus, I have nothing but best of luck to wish him!

BTW, that's a nice bit of phrasing, "cotton-wool atmosphere".

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then again, I think he has his heart set on it and regardless of what anyone says I think he will be going ahead and doing it I just think we should wish him luck either way and maybe give him some advice on which games to play. I agree though with starting at 5k and playing the smallest limits just to see how he gets on first. There's nothing worse than receiving negative feedback when you have a goal/dream.

While this is true, it's also a bit pointless to start a thread about something as serious as risking 15K$ to go pro and replying has the OP did.

Although many of the posters here were somewhat negative, some of the people have made sensible and inteligent suggestions. Putting that kind of money on the line to go pro... I decided to go pro in game development and my plan was risky but didn't put anything on the line and I took a lot of advice from a lot of people. Being reasonable is often the easiest way to make a dream come true, it just takes longer.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just think we should wish him luck either way and maybe give him some advice on which games to play.

For sure I wish him luck. He'll need lots of it to succeed.

As of which games to play: if I was to do this, I would play mostly online at 10, 25nl FR until I have enough experience and confidence that I can beat those games, then move to live 200nl games as in my experience the level of play is somewhat similar but profit potential obviously much larger.

On another de rail belgo, I love the zero - freeroll - $10k post I recently saw. Very impressive and congrats, shame I didn't see it last year when I first joined. Please reply here or back to your OP in regards to the my question of how your roll is 2 years later.

I don't keep a very accurate record anymore, but i've made about $40k profit from poker so far. Withdrew/spent/invested most of it and I only keep enough on my bankroll to play 100nl usually, sometimes some 200nl. Don't want to spend the time required to improve my game up to the level it would need to be to beat mid-stakes, so i'm pretty happy with playing small stakes recreationally and enjoying the profits as a side income.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
God I love threads like this!

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really wanna see how it works out. I say go for it!

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really wanna see how it works out. I say go for it!

Yeah, because the entertainement value for you is reason enough for OP to risk his life savings? Makes total sense, obviously.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For sure I wish him luck. He'll need lots of it to succeed.

As of which games to play: if I was to do this, I would play mostly online at 10, 25nl FR until I have enough experience and confidence that I can beat those games, then move to live 200nl games as in my experience the level of play is somewhat similar but profit potential obviously much larger.

I don't keep a very accurate record anymore, but i've made about $40k profit from poker so far. Withdrew/spent/invested most of it and I only keep enough on my bankroll to play 100nl usually, sometimes some 200nl. Don't want to spend the time required to improve my game up to the level it would need to be to beat mid-stakes, so i'm pretty happy with playing small stakes recreationally and enjoying the profits as a side income.
I know you're a good player but why don't you want to spend the time getting better? Just because you put the time and effort in to improve your game doesn't mean you have to stop being a rec player if you reach 400/600NL. It just means that you will be able to have a bigger side income as well as a fresh challenge. $40k profit is some serious money and probably in the top 1% of player's profits on here atm, I think you should keep at it, and try and move up. I would kill to be rolled for the games I really like to play ($22-55 MTT's and 200NL) and the chance to play higher

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, because the entertainement value for you is reason enough for OP to risk his life savings? Makes total sense, obviously.
You do know he's more or less already made his decision and what strangers say on the internet won't make him change his mind. And he could be levelling everyone (if so, wp sir).

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know you're a good player but why don't you want to spend the time getting better?

Because time has value. Because I don't have an infinite supply of it. Life is full of trade-offs.

B

Biff444

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate the positive feedback I have been recieving. I in no way suggest that someone else try to do something similar than what im doing. When \i first posted I was hoping to hear good honest advice and \i got some. It will be interesting to see after one month even how things will be going. Cant promisse anything but maybe I will post more to let you guys know when \i blow it or not lol. If I blow it all I will try again 2 years later. I think playing for smaller stakes is going to waste my time. I have nobody to answer to right now and \im thinking of it as a high risk investment. who can immagine how it will work out in the end.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
%I think a lot of us know exactly how it's going to work out for you. %I hope you'll see it before it's too late. %I just wanted to see how I liked putting a random character before %I typed %I. %I didn't get much out of it tbh.

Pyrodc

Pyrodc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally *I like it. But *I find it's too much like hard work!

And what the OP did there was exactly what the first 3 people wishing him good luck thought he would do...

1. Come on to a forum with some really good players that could have helped him, and posted a less than stellar post about his "skill".

2. Get some advice against why he should NOT do it. All of it making logical sense...

3. Get some great advice on what he SHOULD do.

4. Ignore all advice.

I thought that I'd have a go, guess I should have known...

*jaded*

Last edited:
SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
%I just wanted to see how I liked
You missed one!!!

OP: Sounds like you've made up your mind. Again, best of luck, and keep us updated on how you're doing. I'm sure many of us would sincerely like to know.

B

Biff444

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont suggest anyoune else should try what i am atempting. When i first posted I was just hoping for good honest opinions and i got some. Thank you for your positive feedback. It will be interesting what i have to report in a couple of months or even after one month. I cant prommise that I will post figures for you i might just let you guys know if im close to bust or not after a month or 2. Who knows what the future will bring for my extremely high risk investment. I dont have anyone to answer to right now so that helps too. Playing for lower stakes until you have experiance is always good advice. Im going to play 1/2 nl for a month and see where im at.

B

Biff444

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
weird i thought the first one failed lol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
gl
doesn't sound like you've played that much (imo).
gl

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I say best of luck. This might be the start of a new career, started late.
I would set a daily loss limit, I would say the amount that you want to win in a day would be a good start. Also, if your bankroll gets below $10,000 or $5,000 you can always review the plan.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only sensible thing you wrote in this thread, imo. That deserves positive feedback:

http://www.google.fr/search?q=Ana+Beatriz+Barros&hl=en&safe=off&tbm=isch&biw=1390&bih=1045

+1

$40k profit is some serious money and probably in the top 1% of player's profits on here atm,

Top 0.0001%.

%I think a lot of us know exactly how it's going to work out for you. %I hope you'll see it before it's too late. %I just wanted to see how I liked putting a random character before %I typed %I. %I didn't get much out of it tbh.

I lolled so ****ing hard :heart:

This thread is brilliant. OP, you show a complete lack of understanding for the game and it's variance by your opening post alone, not to mention your replies. I truly hope for your sake that despite what you said, you are not real. Sadly you almost definitely are. I know what I'm saying may hurt or be mean or any of that bullshit but successful poker players don't "take their shot" at the 1/2 games and being on the cover of a poker magazine is such a vague and sad goal I don't even know what to say to that.

Listen to Belgo, he knows more about poker and good decisions than pretty much anyone else on this forum and you're lucky to have him try to convince you out of your imminent and very great mistake.

This comes from a 20 year old university student who has a complete disregard for money and risks. What you're doing is just silly.

Enjoy retirement, go play some golf or something.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the other hand, 1/2 live is really ridiculously soft when you're a decent player, so given the right conditions OP might be able to succeed even if he isn't the next Phil Ivey.

On the other hand, playing from noon to 8pm may not be the best schedule if your plan is to take money away from drunk tourists.