passive players

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luzovy opponents the most unpredictable as play practically all hands and can never be assumed that at them on hands. If you play against the luzovy player, then have to define he is a fish or not. If it is fish or the luzovo-passive player that is the truth much more often, especially on low and micro limits, then here several councils:
- Not to fall in tilt at failures as to luzovy players can carry, and they will move your strong hand on a sloe or Rivera.
- Not to apply a bluff. Against "losers" it is unjustified therefore it is better to play accurately according to cards.
- Not to begin to play the bigger number of hands.
- To play strong starting hands even more aggressively on a preflopa and a flopa.
- To be accurater when equalizing ollin, especially against passive players on Rivera.
- Not to apply "slouply".
- To go all in only at a natsa or having very strong combination.

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well for me I'm not that type of person that before you play poker you'll say "I'll be a tight aggressive today or I'll be loose today, etc etc". I just usually adapt to the players in my table if I see them as this or that I'll exploit them, that's why I can't multi-task on poker I can only play 1 table at a time if I want the best results because you need a lot of observation on how your opponents play and that's how you'd exploit them and I think that's the key of being a good poker player.

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and also I think on how to beat them is you'd raise higher that would think of them twice if it's worth it to call with this amount of money to see another card but not high enough to damage your stack because if they still call with a very high raise they probably got a hand. sorry for my english lmao

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You guys are not fully understanding.
If you are playing 2NL and no one really cares about their money and they are all playing passively, sure you can only value bet and never bluff and get really tight and at the end of the session you are up $10 over 3 hours... To me this is a waste of my time. I would have been better off working at McDonalds for 3 hours....

So instead of doing that, just move up in stakes.

You guys keep saying that if you only have $200 you will be wiped out.. well, maybe maybe not. However if you only have $200 you have no business playing poker and expecting to make any money doing so.

Again, my example said a had $500 on a site, plus $5000 in savings, plus a full time job. In this scenario my poker bankroll is much more than $500 right? It's more like $15,000 or more and I would be sit down at a 500NL table and play the same way I would play at a 25NL table.

No matter how much money in your roll (or having behind for poker) it doesn't make sense to play 25NL if you're already having trouble beating 2NL.

People who don't care about losing their BI's just because they are way overrolled ans so spew chips because of a maniac style.....I love them and in my world we call them whales.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys are not fully understanding.
If you are playing 2NL and no one really cares about their money and they are all playing passively, sure you can only value bet and never bluff and get really tight and at the end of the session you are up $10 over 3 hours... To me this is a waste of my time. I would have been better off working at McDonalds for 3 hours....

So instead of doing that, just move up in stakes.

You guys keep saying that if you only have $200 you will be wiped out.. well, maybe maybe not. However if you only have $200 you have no business playing poker and expecting to make any money doing so.

Again, my example said a had $500 on a site, plus $5000 in savings, plus a full time job. In this scenario my poker bankroll is much more than $500 right? It's more like $15,000 or more and I would be sit down at a 500NL table and play the same way I would play at a 25NL table.

Working at McDonald's will give you better income, but it won't prepare you to move up the stakes. And that's worth a lot more than your winnings. And moving up stakes doesn't necessarily mean that you won' encounter players like this either. There will be the occassional rec making similar moves @ higher stakes.

So you're arguing that players make really bad decisions at the 2NL. Then it's logically the best place to make as much value as you possibly can.

Your example of BR management is also really loose and indiscipline IMO. Your BR principles apply to whatever you've set aside to your BR ($500 in your case). If you keep topping it up then you're doing something wrong and need to work at your game. It's the same as you would budget for your utilities, rent and entertainment expenses. If you exceed them you're doing something wrong. Same application to your poker BR.

PS - Quite a few of us are working with <= $200 BRs. Either because we can't afford higher or because we simply don't want to. The discipline and lessons learnt at the low stakes grind is what sets the foundation for Mid-High stakes play. Basically if you're able to make a profit from playing players of less skill the chances are you'll be more successful playing more skilled players. Besides, that's why all these poker sites have micro cash games/SNGs/MTTs, for sub $200 BRs.

Last edited:
terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would love to see Smokewood`s stats to back up all the `big` talk,,,,or is it just that,,,all talk? Smokewood? :D

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm all in (stack short), he calls.
I would push allin in the turn there against someone that passive.
That's what I generally do too. Pot on flop, all-in on turn. It's amazing how often I get called with weaker hands or weak draws or even just Ace-hi. BTW, not sure what you meant by "stack short". I assume you're playing a full stack at cash tables. The shorter you are, the easier it is for them to call.

A

alextepi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is an old rule - play the opposite game of your opponent, and you will have to win. That is, if you are playing against a passive opponent, you need to include more aggression.
Passive loose players who like to watch the flop with any hand will allow you to maximize the value with strong hands. If you usually raise 4x from middle position with a strong hand, then you can easily raise more - for example, 6x. you will still get calls from loosely-passive opponents, so why not let them pay you more? Such players tend to check / call to the very end and rarely give up. So do not try to bluff them big if you do not have anything at all.

it looks we have only winners here!

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the only way out is to play very aggressively

A

Aparajit

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play and lose against all players when im tilting.

And when winning, all players just give their chips to me. jokerstars :D

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
well I use the Slow Play when I have the Nuts, so Be Careful my friend :flute:

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play aggressively with some considerations....postition, stack and players. I your situation you had the position to avoid these type of player and you only be 5 bb when you can play all in or higher bet. Good luck next time.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important to understand that if a passive player decides to bet, in the vast majority of cases he will have a very strong hand. You can easily throw out relatively strong hands (strong top pair, two pairs, etc.).

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very often I lose a lot with them, how to play against passive players and realize that they will slowplay without making huge bets?
The upside is that you won't lose a lot if they happen to have a strong hand. I tend to underestimate these people, but they rarely stack me.

O

Orman Nelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Passive players are dependent on aggressive players to build pots for them. Tight passive players are trying to find hands to trap you with. Loose passive (calling stations) are trying to survive by catching with any cards and calling down bluffs.
If tight passive is putting up resistance, slow down. You have to keep betting at loose passive players with hands because calling their chips off is their leak. If they suck out on you or roll over the occasional monster you have to chalk it up to deviation.

For me, the problem with getting beat by these players is that it creates a bit of tilt. It is frustrating to make good plays with good hands and get beat by loose passive turning third pair into a set on the river after two terrible calls. It is hard to remember that you got that player to do what long term is profitable for you (make two bad calls). I often times either get overly aggressive and risk too many chips with decent holdings(occasionally even ignoring other players being in the pot). Sometimes I just slow down too much because "I'm not betting their hand for them".

This is somewhat therapeutic, I should have joined and posted on a forum a long time ago.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I play and lose against all players when im tilting.

And when winning, all players just give their chips to me. jokerstars :D
Your second sentence in an axiom.

I think you meant to write another word than 'winning' but what you currently have written is a statement that has to be true because the second part is the necessary thing to be true for it to be true that you are winning.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These players are very good to play against them I like to play

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the opponent is really passive he will never call or raise on the turn if he does not have a monster hand. The real fold fold on the turn if you do not hit anything on the flop.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a risk, throw a big bet ( post flop or the turn ) and if he calls he probably has something. Don't risk anymore chips. If it is a hand where you have the nuts, say thank you and take his chips.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the feeling... Now I usually raise to much for those players to keep playing. Better to know that your prepared to go all in, immediately.

M

mhsmeet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you should have realized you were short stacked already. If he is passive, there is less chance against him unless you play your aggressive game. These kinds of players generally want to look flop or get free cards.That's why you gotta try to be a little aggressive which might give you good round edge in strong hands....

Stuey

Stuey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very often I lose a lot with them, how to play against passive players and realize that they will slowplay without making huge bets?
say: I'm AQd on the button. Raise 5bb, all pass, except the passive. The flop comes out 557, I check, it checks. Well, I think he would not have called my preflop raise with 5 or 7, and he even slopped later (just can not), I bet, he calls, Q comes on the turn, I raise, he calls. Flop T, I'm all in (stack short), he calls. We open ourselves. He's with him.
In general, I do not know how to play against liabilities, the feeling that they always have something when they call
Why you check on the flop in heads-up pot?
If you had bet the flop you would have gained information about if he got a piece of that flop. What's the point of raising preflop when you chicken out on the flop when you miss? - I don't think you understand why we raise preflop.

In heads up pots is a whole different story. Most pots will end up heads up after the flop. When you’re heads up you only have two players. I have two cards, you have two cards and we see a flop with three cards out there. A lot of times nobody will flop anything. If I have two certain cards in my hand, let’s for example use an AK and three cards on the flop, I have exactly 34% of flopping a pair. Which means let’s say my opponent has other two cards in his hand, a T9, he has 34% of hitting a pair. Forty percent of the time when you are in a heads-up pot none of us is gonna flop a pair. That’s a pretty significant number. Forty percent of the time nobody flops anything. Which means a lot of time if you take a stab at the pot and your opponent didn’t connect, you might win it right here. That’s why we take stabs at the pot. Try win it right there, if your opponent responds by calling or raises you, probably he hit something, you didn’t, he probably did, you took a stab at the pot it didn’t work out this time, let it go. Don’t try to spend all your chips bluffing an opponent who obviously has a better hand than you. Sometimes is wise to just to say, "OK, he has the best hand this time, I’m gonna try the next time, hopefully I’ll flop the best hand or maybe none of us will flop anything but I win it with a c-bet..."
If your opponent connects on the flop he usually is gonna win the pot. If you hit the flop you usually will win the pot. But when none of you hits, you gonna take the first stab you gonna take a small stab, make a bluff at the pot and win it right there.

If you had physics somewhere in school or whatever, says: for every action there is a reaction. A lot of time the best way to get a feel of your opponent by being aggressive you make the initial bet and you have your opponent respond to that bet. If you just check, a lot of time he feels; “Oh .., he checks,.., he has nothing, I can make a bet I can win the pot right here” It means you don’t get a lot of information from him betting. He maybe bets because you check. So, you don’t know if he has a strong, medium or weak holding. By betting he’s usually folding his weak holdings, so if he calls or raises you, you kind of upgrade him to medium, at least a medium holding, and sometimes even a strong holding.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These players populate the lower limits and never move up. Don't ever underestimate their ability. They maybe calling stations or passive but many of them have done it for years on end and will understand the game on their own terms. They play "bad" or not optimally but they understand what they are trying to do.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ответ

Passive players play carefully, often trying to steal their blinds a little flight because they won't call if they don't.:turtle: