The Overbet: How to use it and when does one use it?

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The overbet is a very powerfull bet. It can be used to bluff someone off thier hand when you don't even have a hand. Yet it can also be when you have a made hand and want someone to call in hopes of you making them think you are bluffing. So how do you use the overbet and when do you use it?

Is it done say you are in the BB with say KK's and someone makes the usuall pre-flop raise and you come way over the top here, knowing at best you may be behind AA's?

Or when you know someone has top pair and say the turn brings a flush and you are holding nothing. Yet he/she makes a bet and you come way over the top strong representing the flush?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop, if i've been in alot of pots and people are starting to think i'm playing loose, i really like to overbet with big pocket pairs when someone has raised before me. Many times they think i'm trying to steal/resteal, and bingo they stack off :)
As for post-flop play, it's pretty tricky to bluff a flush when you have nothing. You have to play the whole hand like you're drawing to the flush and just hope that it hits, and hope that villain is not one to overvalue TPTK and pay you off.
Nice post

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres lots of spots where an overbet is effective. You can overbet the river to represent a bluff. This is especially effective when you semi-bluff the flop, make ur hand on the turn and check it. If they check behind, the overbet on the river makes it look like you're on a busted draw and trying to save the pot.

Another good spot to overbet is when you turn a set on a draw heavy board. Say you have 9/9 and the flop comes 7-8-9 of hearts. By overbetting, you're giving horrible odds to anyone who wants to chase the straight or the flush. Another time to overbet a set is when you turn a set in a heads up pot vs someone you believe is on an overpair. You're first to act and throw out an overbet, now the overpair has a really tough decision. Most players at the low/mid-levels cant lay down an overpair on a ragged flop. If he calls, well, just extract chips the rest of the hand. If he raises you, you move in on him.

Another spot you might want to overbet is when you turn the low fullhouse. Say you hold 7/7 and the flop comes JJ7. I'd probably throw out a large overbet here, reason being the only action you're gonna get anyway is someone with a jack. A smart player isnt going to draw to a flush with a pair of jacks on the board, so the only way you're getting paid off is if you catch someone with a jack.