Open enders

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday, I was playing on cash table flopped an open ended straight draw with a paired board... Villain was raising half a pot and I gave it away immediately..
Made me wonder, how often should I chase an open ended straight draw? How often should I give up when I see a paired board..?
Anyone got maths to break it down for me? Thank you in advance!

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No math for this my friend .it's about your stacks ,but I think you have to go all in no matter what

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Strongly afraid of paired boards is not worth it. You just need to understand that a straight or flush will not be the nuts. Just don't exaggerate the strength of your hand. I can fold a flush a lot, realizing that my opponent has a full house more often than anything else.

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The pots I lost more chips is the open ended and flush draws. Nowdays I only chase with really small bets, but I don't know the maths.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
The math is as follow:
For an OESD you need 8 outs to hit your straight, so you do: 8/47 = 0.17 = 17% (47 is the unknown cards to us, the deck is 52 cards - 2 your holding - 3 the flop)
Now as we are on the flop so there is 2 more streets, the turn and the river so you multiply 17% * 2 = 34%. This is your equity.
But before calling you have to consider the pot odds, if villain bets half pot (1/2), your odds is as follow: 1/3 = 33%. If for example he bets 25$ in a 50$ pot you have to add 25$ = 25 / 25+50 = 33%.
Mathematically you have good odds to call in this spot since your equity is greater than the pot odds, which is EV+. Your expected value is positive and if every time you face a half pot bet and you hold an OESD you're making money.
This is the simple way to go with it, without considering villain holding.

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The math is as follow:
For an OESD you need 8 outs to hit your straight, so you do: 8/47 = 0.17 = 17% (47 is the unknown cards to us, the deck is 52 cards - 2 your holding - 3 the flop)
Now as we are on the flop so there is 2 more streets, the turn and the river so you multiply 17% * 2 = 34%. This is your equity.
But before calling you have to consider the pot odds, if villain bets half pot (1/2), your odds is as follow: 1/3 = 33%. If for example he bets 25$ in a 50$ pot you have to add 25$ = 25 / 25+50 = 33%.
Mathematically you have good odds to call in this spot since your equity is greater than the pot odds, which is EV+. Your expected value is positive and if every time you face a half pot bet and you hold an OESD you're making money.
This is the simple way to go with it, without considering villain holding.
Thanks dude, golden comment!

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There is greater consideration for reverse implied odds, there are more combinations of hands that beat a straight on a paired board. villain will have fewer worse hands at river that can call big value bet. Best scenario he has just trips. Villain will be worried his two pair is no good against your possible trips/full house. Only proceed with clear thinking in these spots.