Ok who would make this call??

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am on the Button with Pocket QQ's.. Everyone has folded except the 2 blinds and UTG which limped in. I could slow play but I personally don't like that route. I bet 4X the BB.. Guess who I lost to?

The SB called it with K,10 off suit. Now would anybody ever call a raise like that from the SB with King,10 off suit?

Then I admit I saw the king on the flop with no other over cards. I admit it worried me a bit.. but I am like SB needs something definatly strong to call out of with especially considering they were short stacked to begin with. I bet the rest of thier stack and of course I lost.. Not mad that I lost cause getting used to that part of poker(it happens). But just wondering would anybody honestly make that sort of call? It was a money tourney by the way. The call befuddles me not the lose.

AnnoDomino

AnnoDomino

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what sort of game was it?

i have often seen this type of call in early stages of tournament play where 4x bb is not that huge amount of chips relative to your stack

late tourney and low on chips, K 10 may be your last chance

would i make that call? yes i would, no i would not

just depends on how you feel in that particular game at that particular point

it does not seem that strange to me

anno

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If button (you) had been making a lot of position raises, it's quite easily callable.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed like the other says, depending on the situation thats a rather easy call.

If it looks like a late position steal I may even reraise back with K10.

Was it a sit and go, or tournament with blinds or we talking ring game here?

M

MercilessKiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be honest, don't be annoyed you got called by KT.

That is EXACTLY what you want. It was unlucky he caught a T, but then again, thats poker! If they folded everytime you raised with better odds, it would be almost impossible to do as well!!!

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't even mad about the call,getting used to those calls now. I think it was more from the position.. Full tourney.. about 157 of us.. close to 1st break. So sort of early stages..Don't remember how many of us were left.

However I had to sit out for a little bit cause just as the tourney starts I get company. So it wasn't like the SB was losing alot of chips or mid to late tourney. Remember SB has to call another bet well actually half of a bet as well along with my raise. Betting 2/3 of her stack.. wouldn't the option anyway be all-in? If she does miss then she'd be doing alot of fighting to get back into the game. Yet it didn't even occur to her that I may have had KK's, AA's, AK or even K,Q. So she was calling the next bet no matter what the consequences. Again the all-in would have been sufficient or my opinion the stronger call since it was set in stone she wasn't afraid of any consequences.

Yet if that is the case she was going to call no matter what I would have bet.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blame ESPN for putting K10 in their promos for the wsop! Also blame the fact people believe they are somehow obligated to call preflop raises when in the blind!

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on a lot but normally I call with K10 off. But oddly enough I would not call K9 unless it was suited...

All depends on your choice of hands you consider playable

soadwes

soadwes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many amatuer players will call a raise when they have paint in their hand (i consider 10 paint) no matter what the raise is, they think they have a great hand... I used to before I realized what are good starting hands.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing K10 offsuit will cost you a lot of money in the long run!

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think people call odd hands coming out of the small blind.. check this one out..

Stage #233841097 Tourney ID 45827 Holdem Single Tournament No Limit $20 - 2005-11-09 10:46:20 (ET)
Table: 4015314 (real money) Seat #8 is the dealer
Seat 1 - DONTHAVAPAIR ($2205 in chips)
Seat 2 - TEROWOLF ($1785 in chips)
Seat 4 - RUNRULE ($765 in chips)
Seat 5 - FILIFJONKARN ($905 in chips)
Seat 6 - HASK1960 ($1550 in chips)
Seat 7 - TWIZZYBOP ($3995 in chips)
Seat 8 - HOTFLUSH ($810 in chips)
Seat 9 - THEKING1 ($1485 in chips)
THEKING1 - Posts small blind $20
DONTHAVAPAIR - Posts big blind $40
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to TWIZZYBOP [Qd As]
TEROWOLF - Folds
RUNRULE - Folds
FILIFJONKARN - Folds
HASK1960 - Folds
TWIZZYBOP - Raises $160 to $160
HOTFLUSH - Folds
THEKING1 - Calls $140
DONTHAVAPAIR - Folds
*** FLOP *** [6d 3s Jd]
THEKING1 - Bets $120
TWIZZYBOP - Calls $120
*** TURN *** [6d 3s Jd] [2h]
THEKING1 - Bets $120
TWIZZYBOP - Calls $120
*** RIVER *** [6d 3s Jd 2h] [7d]
THEKING1 - Bets $120
TWIZZYBOP - Calls $120
*** SHOW DOWN ***
THEKING1 - Shows [6c Ad] (One pair, sixes)
TWIZZYBOP - Mucks
THEKING1 Collects $1080 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($1080)
Board [6d 3s Jd 2h 7d]
Seat 1: DONTHAVAPAIR (big blind) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 2: TEROWOLF Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 4: RUNRULE Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 5: FILIFJONKARN Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 6: HASK1960 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 7: TWIZZYBOP HI: [Mucked] [Qd As]
Seat 8: HOTFLUSH (dealer) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 9: THEKING1 (small blind) won Total ($1080) HI:($1080) with One pair, sixes [6c Ad - B:6d,P:6c,P:Ad,B:Jd,B:7d]

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is another one.. Is there something about the SB that I am missing?

Stage #233812396 Tourney ID 50417 Holdem Multi Normal Tournament No Limit $20 - 2005-11-09 09:39:31 (ET)
Table: 200 (Real Money) Seat #2 is the dealer
Seat 1 - RENTSDUE ($3115 in chips)
Seat 2 - KOBRRAGE ($2905 in chips)
Seat 4 - SVENZA ($5130 in chips)
Seat 5 - TWIZZYBOP ($1750 in chips)
Seat 6 - SKOGAHOLM111 ($2870 in chips)
Seat 7 - SASSNBURGLER ($8515 in chips)
Seat 8 - ICEACE ($1270 in chips)
Seat 9 - CHLOEANDIRON ($3240 in chips)
SVENZA - Posts small blind $20
TWIZZYBOP - Posts big blind $40
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to TWIZZYBOP [7d 7s]
SKOGAHOLM111 - Folds
SASSNBURGLER - Calls $40
ICEACE - Calls $40
CHLOEANDIRON - Folds
RENTSDUE - Folds
KOBRRAGE - Folds
SVENZA - Calls $20
TWIZZYBOP - All-In(Raise) $1710 to $1750
SASSNBURGLER - Calls $1710
ICEACE - Folds
SVENZA - Calls $1710
*** FLOP *** [Ah 10c 10h]
SVENZA - Bets $600
SASSNBURGLER - Calls $600
*** TURN *** [Ah 10c 10h] [9d]
SVENZA - Bets $840
SASSNBURGLER - Calls $840
*** RIVER *** [Ah 10c 10h 9d] [8s]
SVENZA - Bets $280
SASSNBURGLER - Calls $280
*** SHOW DOWN ***
SVENZA - Shows [As 6h] (Two Pairs, aces and tens)
TWIZZYBOP - Mucks
SASSNBURGLER - Mucks
SVENZA Collects $3440 from side pot-1
SVENZA Collects $5290 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($8730:$5290,$3440)
Board [Ah 10c 10h 9d 8s]
Seat 1: RENTSDUE Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 2: KOBRRAGE (dealer) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 4: SVENZA (small blind) won Total ($8730) HI:($8730) with Two Pairs, aces and tens [As 6h - P:As,B:Ah,B:10h,B:10c,B:9d]
Seat 5: TWIZZYBOP (big blind) HI: [Mucked] [7d 7s]
Seat 6: SKOGAHOLM111 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 7: SASSNBURGLER HI: [Mucked] [6c 6d]
Seat 8: ICEACE Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 9: CHLOEANDIRON Folded on the POCKET CARDS

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my personal opinion, I would almost always call 4x small blind with kt, just to see the flop, if in a tournament (and the blinds were very high), I would fold. In live NL games i will always call. NL Live games are set up to suck out, with small blinds and the ability to move all in (there is no structure), not to mention they require you to buy in so much with such little blinds.... Tournament play I would probably fold to a 1 person raise, but i might think you were stealing too!!

K

KidHavok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
svensa made a bad call, he is a loose cannon that crapped out A6, that is the crap that makes me mad about internet poker....... Nothing more to say, my face is getting red because I can think about all the times that crap has beat me B4. Another Idiot with a/an ace crap

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was watching the main event on ESPN last night and they showed the last remaining chick calling a big bet with A-7 offsuit - and of course she rivered the ace to win. So the guy had his queens cracked and everyone learned how to properly play a hand? This is where most folks learned poker I suspect...

R

rayzor1748

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You mentioned a very crucial point towards the end.. the small blind was short stacked at the time...
I probably make that call also in that position under those cicumstances figuring you may not get a better option since the next time around in big blind you may be stuck with 2-7 o/s as your last shot .
You also say you didn't push them allin until after flop which at that point did have a king in it... so if you think they called your raise with a good hand you could have assumed they call your raise with say A-K also to worry you... either way tough to lose with pocket Q's but under those particular circumstances I'm not sure how bad a decision it was on the other players part.... Just my opinion of course!

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rayzor1748 said:
You mentioned a very crucial point towards the end.. the small blind was short stacked at the time...
I probably make that call also in that position under those cicumstances figuring you may not get a better option since the next time around in big blind you may be stuck with 2-7 o/s as your last shot .
You also say you didn't push them allin until after flop which at that point did have a king in it... so if you think they called your raise with a good hand you could have assumed they call your raise with say A-K also to worry you... either way tough to lose with pocket Q's but under those particular circumstances I'm not sure how bad a decision it was on the other players part.... Just my opinion of course!

That was my exact point.. there isn't many hands one can actually call the SB with especially on a 3-4X BB raise. .. King,10 is a marginal hand at best.. so going up against a top 10 hand as well. So the King didnt bother her either? What was to say I had A,K.. Pocket KK's or AA's. She has to hope and wish 2 things to happen. #1 That a king comes which it did and #2 that I am not holding any of those 3 hands. That is alot of hope and wishing on her part. I just recently got busted again by someone holding an Ace,10. That person has to hope for an Ace to come cause if a 10 comes it wil get defeated by Pocket 10's JJ's QQ's KK's and AA's

To put your hopes on 1 card rather it be the Ace or the King is nuts.
Think about this an ace comes 30% of the time on the flop. Pretty sure the odds would be the same for a king. That is 3 out of 10 for simplicity. So say you call that Raise 10 times with either card you will win 3 times while losing 7. I personally like to have chips for later on when I can make a legit stand instead of having to take a chance with marginal or rag cards cause I gambled on a 30% chance.

F

forrest_pump

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well...

Well if it was a freeroll -- nothing surprises me. When I play freerolls and I raise the preflop by 3x or even 5x I ALWAYS GET CALLERS. They just don't care.

If it was a ring game you were in there are MANY people who will NEVER toss a King even with a low kicker...so a 10 kicker isn't beyond believability.

If I was short stacked I would go all in with a K 10 almost any day.

Remember that pockets -- any of them -- are never guaranteed winners.