Microstakes Cash: Ways to Improve

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No not by any means. You definitely got coolered here.

Just consider how your hand will stack up vs his range when you flat call preflop, it helps to avoid situations where you will be dominated so often. I've copied Cafe's HUD and am now going to use RFI (Raise First In) by position stat to determine my flat calling/3-betting ranges vs particular opponents.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No not by any means. You definitely got coolered here.

Just consider how your hand will stack up vs his range when you flat call preflop, it helps to avoid situations where you will be dominated so often. I've copied Cafe's HUD and am now going to use RFI (Raise First In) by position stat to determine my flat calling/3-betting ranges vs particular opponents.

Okay. Right - am gonna go fix up my HUD now too as it definitely needs work.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If UTG is opening 15% then pre is definitely a call. I don't mind it but just trying to indicate the reasons for flatting pre should be more solid than just because you have position.

Besides Honey just said TAG, if he is like 17/14 then I don't like flatting pre. Agree with flat flop and shove OTT though.
A solid TAG at 6max is gonna open like AK/AQ (and MAAAAYBE KQ and AJ depending on table dynamics) and then a big bunch of speculative hands he can just fold or cbet bluff when he misses so that you're only dominated 1/3 of the time or so; because opening UTG sucks so hard. Also we're in position, that really is worth a lot.

It would actually be worse flatting like AT vs UTG raise, because an UTG opener's range is much more Ace-heavy.

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
H1 is a cooler, but H2 is a fold pre, we're not even completing the action.

didnt see we flatted. I thought we were 3betting the aggro reg....

Im actually only flatting here with nutted hands to try to get the OR to 4bet squeeze. so i would fold pre as well.

If UTG is opening 15% then pre is definitely a call. I don't mind it but just trying to indicate the reasons for flatting pre should be more solid than just because you have position.

Besides Honey just said TAG, if he is like 17/14 then I don't like flatting pre. Agree with flat flop and shove OTT though.

17/14 is a nit for sure. Im pretty sure TAG stats at 6max is like 22/19. which would give about a 15% UTG open for a positionally aware player. regardless, I think we dominate a lot of his range and should call. vs a nit like a 17/14 I wouldnt know what to do but I probably still flat.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought I edited, hand two is a clear fold I didn't see the three bet, its weird how I sometimes selectively read things.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
didnt see we flatted. I thought we were 3betting the aggro reg....

Im actually only flatting here with nutted hands to try to get the OR to 4bet squeeze. so i would fold pre as well.

17/14 is a nit for sure. Im pretty sure TAG stats at 6max is like 22/19. which would give about a 15% UTG open for a positionally aware player. regardless, I think we dominate a lot of his range and should call. vs a nit like a 17/14 I wouldnt know what to do but I probably still flat.

He was 16/15 so yes, I guess he was a nit. I'm still adjusting to 6max stats!

I thought I edited, hand two is a clear fold I didn't see the three bet, its weird how I sometimes selectively read things.

Yes, I thought he was full of it but didn't want to 4bet with AQo as I was worried he would 5bet as he was so aggro - so thought I'd flat and see if I hit the flop. Just should have folded, I agree. Thanks.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I've been trying to take onboard all the comments and suggestions in this thread but am not finding it so easy. I had good sessions a couple of days running when I was hitting flops but today I wasn't running so well. Also seemed to have a target on my back. Every time I cbet I was raised. When I tried to steal from CO or BTN I was raised by the blinds. With my campaign to cure my station-itis I folded when I faced aggression and didn't have a strong hand. I didn't think I was doing too badly until I looked at my stats and saw I was bleeding money by doing this.

Here are a couple of examples:

Hand 1: Villain was a fish:

poker stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (MP): $10.23 (102.3 bb)
CO: $5.89 (58.9 bb)
BTN: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
SB: $10 (100 bb)
BB: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif

Hero raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 9
diamond4.gif
J
club4.gif
Q
heart4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $0.40, CO raises to $0.90, Hero folds

Hand 2: Another very fishy player limping almost every hand. I just checked because I didn't feel too confident OOP with A8o. Should I have raised? He would have called whatever I raised to and I would have been inflating the pot so didn't know what to do. The old me would have raised pre and then called his turn bet only to find out on the river that he has a baby flush or a rivered 2pair. :(

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

BTN: $10.25 (102.5 bb)
SB: $10 (100 bb)
Hero (BB): $10 (100 bb)
MP: $9.69 (96.9 bb)
CO: $16.24 (162.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8
diamond4.gif
A
heart4.gif

MP calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.25) J
spade4.gif
spade4.gif
A
club4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $0.20, MP calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.65) 7
spade4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $0.40, MP raises to $0.80, Hero folds

Then I was up against a superfish and was tempted back into my station-itis and here are a couple of hands from that table.

Hand 3

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

MP: $15.19 (151.9 bb)
CO: $13.10 (131 bb)
BTN: $10 (100 bb)
SB: $8.45 (84.5 bb)
Hero (BB): $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K
heart4.gif
J
diamond4.gif

3 folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $0.25, SB raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.80) 4
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.70, SB calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.20) 8
club4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

River: ($2.40) 2
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90

Results: $4.20 pot ($0.19 rake)
Final Board: 4
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif
club4.gif
heart4.gif

SB showed K
spade4.gif
heart4.gif
and lost (-$2.10 net)
Hero showed K
heart4.gif
J
diamond4.gif
and won $4.01 ($1.91 net)

Hand 4: I was experimenting with min-raising or 2.5x the BTN and SB as I was being raised so much it was getting very costly. Is it bad to price them in? Superfish tend to call no matter what the raise and then call down if they hit flops. So again not sure what I should be doing.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 3 Players

SB: $8.55 (85.5 bb)
BB: $15.47 (154.7 bb)
Hero (BTN): $14.07 (140.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 6
spade4.gif
spade4.gif

Hero raises to $0.20, SB folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) 7
club4.gif
K
heart4.gif
heart4.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.85) 4
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($1.65) J
club4.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $1, Hero calls $1

Results: $3.65 pot ($0.16 rake)
Final Board: 7
club4.gif
K
heart4.gif
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif
J
club4.gif

BB showed 2
diamond4.gif
A
club4.gif
and lost (-$1.80 net)
Hero showed 6
spade4.gif
spade4.gif
and won $3.49 ($1.69 net)

I made back all the money I'd lost at the beginning of the session from just this one player as he kept reloading. Ended up breakeven.

Did I go too far the other way. Were the first two hands bad folds? And were the second two bad calls?

Thanks as ever for your help! :)

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1, you can happily x/f that flop.

Hand 2, fine, you can raise pre, depends on villain really.

Hand 3, lol, that won't work every time but w.e., I prefer a raise otr rather than a call because we don't beat some of his bluffs at that point right.

Hand 4, yeah.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hand 3, lol, that won't work every time but w.e., I prefer a raise otr rather than a call because we don't beat some of his bluffs at that point right.

Hand 4, yeah.

Thanks Cafe. :)

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i see you are a fan of thin value lol, not sure you can pull it off at 10nl honey, save it for 100nl...need to be going for fat value at these levels, maybe thats why you stationed away 4 bi's in your other session...maybe post some hands on the hands you lost from that sesh.....

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) X/F flop

2) X/F turn

3) Call flop, Assume you have 7 outs and adjust your decisions on later streets based upon his sizing and your equity vs a one pair hand. Your goal here is to get to make a pair and then get 50-70% pot on the later streets assuming flush doesn't come in, if it does then just go to showdown

4)Call flop, fold turn IMO

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i see you are a fan of thin value lol, not sure you can pull it off at 10nl honey, save it for 100nl...need to be going for fat value at these levels, maybe thats why you stationed away 4 bi's in your other session...maybe post some hands on the hands you lost from that sesh.....

Erm- I didn't station away 4 bi's. :confused:

And I didn't make any value bets either? :confused::confused:

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) X/F flop

2) X/F turn

3) Call flop, Assume you have 7 outs and adjust your decisions on later streets based upon his sizing and your equity vs a one pair hand. Your goal here is to get to make a pair and then get 50-70% pot on the later streets assuming flush doesn't come in, if it does then just go to showdown

4)Call flop, fold turn IMO

Thanks Matt. :)

So in Hand 2 if we x/f turn doesn't that give villain an opportunity to bluff the flush whereas if we bet and he doesn't have it we get a chance to win the pot? Are we always check folding anytime a flush comes in?

And in Hand 4 do we fold turn even with second pair and a gutshot against a really bad player?

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In 2, yes. Fish rarely bluff so there is no point in calling a bet, if he has worse than you he will just check it down.

As for 4 I mean it really depends. Just how fishy was this player, and more importantly what type of fish was he? Generally a donk OTF + another OTT is a sign of strength, the only thing that indicates you might have the best hand is betsizing, I just think if he is capable of firing two with nothing here then you have to call the third a lot of the time as well. The prospect of calling a triple with nothing but third pair isn't very enticing IMO.

Last edited:
honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In 2, yes. Fish rarely bluff so there is no point in calling a bet, if he has worse than you he will just check it down.

As for 4 I mean it really depends. Just how fishy was this player, and more importantly what type of fish was he? Generally a donk OTF + another OTT is a sign of strength, the only thing that indicates you might have the best hand is betsizing, I just think if he is capably of firing two with nothing here then you have to call the third a lot of the time as well. The prospect of calling a triple with nothing but third pair isn't very enticing IMO.

Yes, I agree that it's normally the case that fish don't bluff. It wasn't an aggro donk like the fish from Hands 3 & 4 so I should have just checked.

The second player was extremely fishy and playing about 90% of hands. If he limped and I raised he would 3bet with holdings like J3o. He was really aggro and bet every single street either IP or OOP even if just a minidonk but he never checked. That's why I held on with just 3rd pair but normally should definitely have been a fold, you're right.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like you want to win every hand. Thats not going to happen in poker.

1. C/F flop
2. Raise pf bet flop c/f turn
3. I would just fold the flop here, fairly coordinated, and if he has a pair and a gutshot hes never going anywhere.
4. Against certain villains a check raise ott is not a bad play, you can rep sets, and still have some equity if called. I play the hand to the river against the fish if I think I can get paid off decently, c/f river. It's nice to see these hero calls working out for you here, at the higher micros, a vast majority of the time the villain will have something.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Erm- I didn't station away 4 bi's. :confused:

And I didn't make any value bets either? :confused::confused:

basically it looks as if you are trying to win every hand you play, and you cant really do that particularly at the micros...and it looks as if you call far too many bets with medium strength hands, which means you are going for value.....because if you wanted folds you would raise post flop IP more....you are calling down and hoping your TPGK, middle pairs hold up....and you might get away with that a couple of times but its not gonna be worthwhile in the long run....you cant play poker against these guys coz they wont know what you are trying to do and fold equity is not there at 10nl...just need to be patient and play your big hands and value the arse out of it when you hit the flop......if for example you get AK ip and villian cbets then just fold when you miss the flop...not worth chasing the A or K...and if you do hit the flop and villian raises you then he always has the set...let it go

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for a while now and playing 10nl for the last couple of months. I've also been reviewing hand histories, making notes, reading books, watching videos and following the Poker Zion Roots course. I think I've improved a bit but my win-rate is very very small - just about breakeven.

One of the things I do is try to practise a concept during the week - eg, playing OOP or playing draws. But I find that by doing so I make more mistakes. I'm trying to put new ideas into practice and don't always make the right decisions. Do you more experienced players think this is a valuable thing to do in the long run while I am playing such low stakes as I will learn faster or do you think I should stick to playing tight ABC poker?

I call too much IP as a way to practise post flop play and hand reading but obviously I am not very good yet. My stats look very weird - I am winning at about 35bb/100 in EP/MP/CO but losing at -7bb/100 on the BTN! :eek: I am always cold calling on the button with marginal hands to get experience of playing IP but suck at it. Probably calling too much in BB too. Seems like chicken and egg - how can I learn and get better at post flop if I play really tight and don't get into marginal spots?

At the end of the day all it comes down to is putting in the hours, you can study poker all you want but if you don't put in extensive hours a day, like ~4 then you won't see much improvement. The player who plays 4 hours a day is gonna be better than 1 hour a day person.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The **** are you talking about? Fish have flushes here more than any other player type so I don't see where you are getting the "really really rarely" part from. Fact is unless we are prepared to triple for value (which we shouldn't) then checking turn is best. We can still get a second street OTR so we don't lose any value but save money when he has us crushed.

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
H1: C/F flop here with most of ur range apart from 9x and better, too draw heavy and 3 over cards I wouldn't be cbetting here ever against any player probably.

H2: raising pf is good, A8o is good enou against a fishy limper, lowest I would go here is A6o. Up to u though.
Flop is good. Turn is good. Played perfect IMO wp.

H3: raise 40c pf, ur sizing is too small vs a fish limper. Far too draw heavy a board to raise even if the fish does min-bet... Don't bluff fish please honey.

Glad u shut down on the turn but why did u call river? Don't pay fish off just because they take stupid stupid lines and u have king high.

Edit: saw the results and now I look like a fool :/

H4: a good rule to go by is to min raise button when regs in blinds and 3/4x it if there are fish in the blinds (regardless of hand strengh), I do 3x if fish there. This way u get more money in ahead and build pot up to get stacks in post flop against fish.

Fold river unless u have a read in him that he docks 3 streets with worse.

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hand 4, yeah.

Don't do this... bluffing fish past the flop is awful usually especially when that 2h is a complete brick.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback.

a good rule to go by is to min raise button when regs in blinds and 3/4x it if there are fish in the blinds (regardless of hand strengh), I do 3x if fish there. This way u get more money in ahead and build pot up to get stacks in post flop against fish.

Interesting. Never thought of it this way. Was actually min-raising because I knew they would call whatever and then I would lose money if I miss. But what you say about getting money in when I'm ahead makes sense.

Last edited:
Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The **** are you talking about? Fish have flushes here more than any other player type so I don't see where you are getting the "really really rarely" part from.
Well... completing a flush on a 3-flush board requires hands that form very very tiny number of combos, because for any two suited hole cards they have to be of one specific suit. So for example, on a 987 board there are 48 combos of the 3 hands that complete the straight, but on a 3-flush board there are a grand total of 45 combos that complete the flush, and that's counting every single last flush that's possible on that board. It just takes an opponent having four offsuited top pairs (12 combos each) to outnumber flushes, and a fish will call down with over a dozen pair hands; including second and third pairs and worse.

Therefore, it is fairly safe to assume that unless he has shown aggression (or the board is 4-flush) a call station does not have a ****ing flush. Ever. If you can barrel down TPMK for value because your villain is a fish in a dry board, you sure as shit can still do it in a 3-flush board. Check-folding is just murdering your own value.

Last edited:
Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos