Live Online Grind: ... Don’t Get In An UPROAR About It

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly didn't even think this was a hard call... then saw his hand and questioned my whole life.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read everything very interesting in places funny. each has its own style of play, so to speak. human behavior in a particular situation and it is very interesting to observe ... when you see from the side of the game, analysis always turns on how you would act in such a situation))) in general, continue to cheerfully continue in the same vein. good luck.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually fold AJos utg 9 handed now as it can rarely stand a raise, table dependent of course. And if you do call a raise you are often oop and dominated by a better ace.

Personally Id want a better bluff catcher before calling a river overbet of that size.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually fold AJos utg 9 handed now as it can rarely stand a raise, table dependent of course. And if you do call a raise you are often oop and dominated by a better ace.

Personally Id want a better bluff catcher before calling a river overbet of that size.

Yeah river is obviously not mandatory at all, it's a huge exploit. But also I'm not really putting him on any value besides a rivered set, or maybe AA, which we block.

Second, we're not UTG. We're in the ST, defending against a BTN open, so it's not quite the same. Ranges should be far wider in this spot.

Also, these are 8-handed, 3-blind games WITH ante, so we're pretty incentivized to play more hands pre. I totally get it though, and AJo is basically the bottom of my range UTG if that was the actual spot.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is good. I like every street except river where I would be worried about alot of rivered 2 pairs, the occassional straight or rivered set. Those combos add up and we also have to worry that he might bluff with something that beats us (although unlikely). I just dont see enough bluffs that want to take this line that wouldnt love to bet the turn.

Range wise we have to be somewhere near the bottom right? Since alot of our worse hands will bluff river and better will value bet. lots of low pairs we dont want to vbet.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly didn't even think this was a hard call... then saw his hand and questioned my whole life.

I think it's an easy fold considering he doesn't have many bluffs there other than total air
Also it's the chinese Apps & I've seen the weirdest shit on those than any other site

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is good. I like every street except river where I would be worried about alot of rivered 2 pairs, the occassional straight or rivered set. Those combos add up and we also have to worry that he might bluff with something that beats us (although unlikely). I just dont see enough bluffs that want to take this line that wouldnt love to bet the turn.

Range wise we have to be somewhere near the bottom right? Since alot of our worse hands will bluff river and better will value bet. lots of low pairs we dont want to vbet.

I think it's an easy fold considering he doesn't have many bluffs there other than total air
Also it's the chinese apps & I've seen the weirdest shit on those than any other site

Yeah I mean the issue is that my perception of pool tendencies is that almost no one is going this size with two pair or overpairs. That they are hyper polarizing in this spot even more than they "should" be. That being said I should still be having a higher threshold for call offs here.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the play up to the river. I MIGHT occasionally call river with a better ace high if I can ever get to the river with one (AK I probably 3bet preflop so that only leaves AQ) but I think the best bluff catching hands would be 33 or A5, or 56 as they have slightly relevant blockers and with a 2x pot bet he is so polarized that having relevant blockers trumps the actual hand strength. I would call with A5 or 33 rather than 6x or 7x in this spot.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listening to episode #307 of thinking poker podcast right now!! :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
and generally get lots of you playing on PKC with me. :D:D:D

Enjoying the thread so far :)

Haven't listened to the podcast over at Thinkingpoker yet... but will. I'm a huge fan of Andrew's since the beginning of time.

How does one go about playing on PK? Do I need to go through an agent or something like that? (I know very little about it).
What do the stakes start at?
How do I deposit?

Anyways, I'm interested. Perhaps you could hit me up in a pm on here? (I'd appreciate it :) )
Thanks.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm actually not allowed to discuss it here but there's info below all my youtube videos.

I've not played much lately. Been on a downswing and while I think I mostly played alright through it, I was definitely pressing some spots I didn't need to.

So I'm on something like 3 full days off and the last day I played I just played about an hour and a half short handed with 2 whales while trying to help one of my players get a game going.

Planning to get back to it this week though, so hopefully some more hands incoming. Even debating kicking off something of a hand review "podcast" where I discuss hands I've played. But I already have a lot going on, so I'm not sure if I'll follow through on that yet or not.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm actually not allowed to discuss it here but there's info below all my youtube videos.

Ok. Thank-you. (had no clue it's not allowed to be discussed on here)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have still been on a bit of a hiatus. Played a couple times one-tabling while multi-tasking and felt I played better but just got hit by variance. Frustrating, but it happens.

Was on a mini-vacation this week, which def was good for getting my head back on straight, but I have a lot of work to catch up on now, so we'll see if I'm able to get in any hours. I'm hoping that by Monday I'll be back to grinding a minimum of a few hours a day, several days a week.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So PKC has been so far on the back burner as of late, I'm embarrassed to even have this thread lol.

I've actually probably played more live sessions this month than I've played online sessions in the last 2.

And it's been going well. When PKC started going badly, I honestly lost a LOT of motivation. And since live has been going well, I've just been rolling with that because it's easier to get motivated to go play.

I had a couple good 2/5 wins including a +$3.5k day, and also played 5/10 in Portland and at Maryland Live, both times booking mid sized wins. So it's been going well, to say the least.

I have some trips coming up too, to Vegas, so that should be fun. It's mostly for work/training stuff but I might get to play a few sessions. And the 5/10 is running roughly weekly at MD Live, so that's something I want to start playing more regularly.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So PKC has been so far on the back burner as of late, I'm embarrassed to even have this thread lol.

I've actually probably played more live sessions this month than I've played online sessions in the last 2.

And it's been going well. When PKC started going badly, I honestly lost a LOT of motivation. And since live has been going well, I've just been rolling with that because it's easier to get motivated to go play.

I had a couple good 2/5 wins including a +$3.5k day, and also played 5/10 in Portland and at Maryland Live, both times booking mid sized wins. So it's been going well, to say the least.

I have some trips coming up too, to Vegas, so that should be fun. It's mostly for work/training stuff but I might get to play a few sessions. And the 5/10 is running roughly weekly at MD Live, so that's something I want to start playing more regularly.

I need some of that live run good man🤑

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need some of that live run good man🤑

Lol yeah it's been nice. Also played a 1/2 NL home game I haven't played in a while due to it not running or schedule conflicts. It's soft, but the game was largely built around 1 whale. They are all friends, but most of them are at least not TERRIBLE players. Not good, but not "feeding the game" enough for me to go out of my way for the game except that I enjoy their company.

He finally made it back to the game. And he was indeed missed. I'm talking blind jams pre regardless of action for $200-500 at a time.

And almost no one is willing to call off vs him without the GOODS except me. So he LOVES me because of the action I give. At one point he jammed blind $250 first to act and it folded to me in the BB and I told him I'd call blind if he wanted. He says "of course! I don't give a ****!" So called and made 2 pair or something with 63o. Turns out he had AQo.

In another hand, he had just topped up for $500 a few hands prior and already jammed all in blind with no action. In this hand he's straddling. In a few hands where I've limped, he has started to just limp behind more - maybe because he's losing steam, maybe because he has a sense that I may do this to induce jams with the top of my range.

So when there's 2 limps to me in the BB, I look down at KK. Decide not to complete - I make it $20 (over the $6 straddle and 2 limps). And sure enough, he blind jams his $500. Both other players fold and I call. I know there are a billion ways I COULD lose this hand, don't even know what I need to dodge lol.

Board runs out J7524 and he shouts "STRAIGHT" - showing me 63o. Fun.

I won and lost probably a couple thousand through this player last night lol. Ended the night in for $1,000 and out for $1,635 so the heater continues, but I was THIS close to booking a seemingly impossible $2.5k+ win in that game if I stack him on the KK vs 63 hand.

Good times! :eek: :cool:

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol yeah it's been nice. Also played a 1/2 NL home game I haven't played in a while due to it not running or schedule conflicts. It's soft, but the game was largely built around 1 whale. They are all friends, but most of them are at least not TERRIBLE players. Not good, but not "feeding the game" enough for me to go out of my way for the game except that I enjoy their company.

He finally made it back to the game. And he was indeed missed. I'm talking blind jams pre regardless of action for $200-500 at a time.

And almost no one is willing to call off vs him without the GOODS except me. So he LOVES me because of the action I give. At one point he jammed blind $250 first to act and it folded to me in the BB and I told him I'd call blind if he wanted. He says "of course! I don't give a ****!" So called and made 2 pair or something with 63o. Turns out he had AQo.

In another hand, he had just topped up for $500 a few hands prior and already jammed all in blind with no action. In this hand he's straddling. In a few hands where I've limped, he has started to just limp behind more - maybe because he's losing steam, maybe because he has a sense that I may do this to induce jams with the top of my range.

So when there's 2 limps to me in the BB, I look down at KK. Decide not to complete - I make it $20 (over the $6 straddle and 2 limps). And sure enough, he blind jams his $500. Both other players fold and I call. I know there are a billion ways I COULD lose this hand, don't even know what I need to dodge lol.

Board runs out J7524 and he shouts "STRAIGHT" - showing me 63o. Fun.

I won and lost probably a couple thousand through this player last night lol. Ended the night in for $1,000 and out for $1,635 so the heater continues, but I was THIS close to booking a seemingly impossible $2.5k+ win in that game if I stack him on the KK vs 63 hand.

Good times! :eek: :cool:

I've realized in the last year or so we have to give action to get action.... it is def more fun than just all business all the time.

My month has been mostly break even and now negative about 1k after recent loss.

I'm hoping things will improve soon. Trying to keep a good mindset.

I'm getting better, but I'm still not there yet.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I can't believe it's been months since I bumped this thread.

Ever since PKC segregated the stakes I was playing, I stopped really playing much online, and then coronavirus happened, so live play stopped.

I came back to online just to have SOME volume, and it's been a mix of club games, small grey sites that I have personal connections to, and then ACR for MTT's.

MTT grind has been okay, not great. I have something like 300 played since quarantine began. Cash games I'm definitely up but I didn't start tracking till I was stuck like 2.5k playing a mix of 100nl and 200nl/plo mix. Ever since then the boom switch has been on and since starting tracking I'm up something like 4.5k.

Nice life, I know. If it makes you feel any better, my sharkscope says I'm stuck like 2k across that sample, but on untracked sites I'm up like 6k? It's hard to keep track, so I'm looking at bringing my entire 2020 Sharkscope sample into my personal spreadsheet so I can combine everything.

Tbh I don't even know what to post here lol. Feels like it's been so long since I was active idk who even remembers me.... but that may be the quarantine talking lol.

Anyway hope all the old guard and everyone else are doing okay in their various stages of lockdown. I know for myself my life hasn't changed THAT much seeing as I've worked from home the past few years and am a bit of a home body anyway, but I'm still going a bit stir crazy for sure.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope to post something with ALL my recent MTT results including the untracked sites at some point too, but I haven't gotten around to integrating my ACR results with them yet, so for now you just get to see my ugly, ugly Sharkscope graph.

First graph is the last couple months, which is basically all the volume I've played on AmericasCardRoom (ACR) and BetOnline (BOL). I've kind of stopped playing BOL though because it's not enough higher value guarantees and my computer doesn't love running multiple sites simultaneously. So just not really worth it when ACR has enough volume.

6afaeb4585eede49290db74939ae557d.png

Second graph is my lifetime across all accounts, all stakes. Just think it's kind of funny. Obv doesn't include live results or cash games. So there's random leaps up in stakes that aren't based on my online MTT results, and are literally spread years apart. The first ~40 tournaments on that graph are pokerstars freerolls from literally December 2011. Good times. Ten year graph in the making here lol.

d534f2b14888c0585cdfa415c3d54b23.png

P.S. Does anyone know how to get images to resize properly in CC? They always turn out janky and I have to like deliberately make them lower resolution.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enjoyed reading the thread. Keep updating it and I'll try to check back in regularly!

Organize a Home Poker Game