Live Online Grind: ... Don’t Get In An UPROAR About It

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I really wish I had more to bump this thread about. But really it's just same old at this point.

Cliff notes updates:

• I played the main, was very happy with my play but didn't cash.
  • Still mostly getting killed in MTT's overall and mostly crushing PLO cash games on ColorUp.
  • The vlog has been very slow lately. Just haven't had motivation to make tons of online content when I'm having very few deep runs.
  • Still not playing live poker with the pandemic numbers going pretty nuts everywhere and the vaccine now rolling out. I've waited about a year... I can wait 4-5 more months.
I did FINALLY break through and have a top 3 finish in an $88 x $50,000 GTD on ACR for a hair under $5k, but I fired a lot that day so only really like +3.5k day and that gets wiped out in 3-5 meh to bad MTT sessions.

This past weekend I also fired some big stuff and mostly bricked, although my cash rate has gone up at least, which isn't that great but at least eliminates some of the TOTAL brick days.

One good thing is I made Day 2 in a Million guarantee and I'm in the money. Who knows how many damn flights there will be, so it's not like I'm close to winning it, but 10% of the field remains from my flight, and I'm in the top 10% of the remaining stacks with ~50bb coming back to Day 2 this Sunday. Will probably still be 600-1,000 players remaining when I return, but will be in good shape and have a realistic shot at around $150k up top.

Anyway just doing the mandatory occasional bump. Hope all my CC peeps are doing good.

Hey dude, what stakes are you playing for online cash if you dont mind me asking?

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online PLO has been anywhere from 200 up to 1k, but only in soft lineups. Also recently got an in to a soft private 5/10/20 but it doesn't run very often. Currently buried in it but it's the best game I've ever played.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Holy crap guys. I just won the Monthly Milly on Iggy for > $100k.

And I did it all on stream. So insanely surreal. Still doesn't feel like it's actually happened. Def hasn't hit me yet even though it's been a week already.

I took down the broadcast from that day since I'm still waiting to be paid and don't want it up right now, but at some point I'll cut together highlights. This hand was a gem from the FT though:

9-handed, $6.5k locked up, a couple 3-4k jumps coming up. $136k up top. This is literally the third hand of the final table.
Blinds 75k/150k (15k ante), I have 4.1M to start hand in CO. Stacks range from 1.3M to 4M, with an 8.3M stack in SB, and a 7.2M stack currently UTG (although these don't play for the moment).

Because of Iggy's annoying placement of the "fold before action is on you" checkbox being almost right on top of the "call" button when action is on you... I misclick limp in the CO with 62o. Yes. This actually happened.

Folds to BB with 3.5M to start hand. They check. (Perhaps worth noting that they are fourth in chips.)

Flop (510k) JJ4css
I have no spade in hand. BB x. I bet 150k. BB call.

Turn (810k) 5d
BB x. I bet 350k. BB call.

River (1.51M) Qc
BB has 2.9M behind. We cover with 3.5M. BB x. I bet 750k.

Worth mentioning that with this size if they call and lose, he's basically in a 3 or 4way tie for 5th.

I'll give hand results once people have had a chance to come in and check it out, but man what a crazy ride. Had about 200 people watching the twitch stream for a while there and I plan to keep streaming Sundays and some other days too. (https://www.twitch.tv/mattvaughanpoker)

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

And I did it all on stream. So insanely surreal. Still doesn't feel like it's actually happened. Def hasn't hit me yet even though it's been a week already.

I took down the broadcast from that day since I'm still waiting to be paid and don't want it up right now, but at some point I'll cut together highlights. This hand was a gem from the FT though:

9-handed, $6.5k locked up, a couple 3-4k jumps coming up. $136k up top. This is literally the third hand of the final table.
Blinds 75k/150k (15k ante), I have 4.1M to start hand in CO. Stacks range from 1.3M to 4M, with an 8.3M stack in SB, and a 7.2M stack currently UTG (although these don't play for the moment).

Because of Iggy's annoying placement of the "fold before action is on you" checkbox being almost right on top of the "call" button when action is on you... I misclick limp in the CO with 62o. Yes. This actually happened.

Folds to BB with 3.5M to start hand. They check. (Perhaps worth noting that they are fourth in chips.)

Flop (510k) JJ4css

Turn (810k) 5d

River (1.51M) Qc

Worth mentioning that with this size if they call and lose, he's basically in a 3 or 4way tie for 5th.

I'll give hand results once people have had a chance to come in and check it out, but man what a crazy ride. Had about 200 people watching the twitch stream for a while there and I plan to keep streaming Sundays and some other days too. (https://www.twitch.tv/mattvaughanpoker)

I am not a MTT player, but at the risk of being wrong I will make a comment here. When you limp from CO you are using one of the strategies currently being used from that position, with mixed ranges. You could do it with speculative hands or also with a super hand, when you want your opponent to think that you are inducing a hero call, with the top of his range (from BB), which negatively interferes with his implicit chances of improving postflop. .
The line you choose in postflop is quite wide: but due to the bet sizes you use, you are representing some spade blocker (which you don't actually have).
The flop has a relative impact on both ranges, although the 4 favors villain more than you, given his BB position.
From your opponent's side, the BB knows that in this texture he can only have a raise range when he can block you important values. But this blocking has implications against it, since when it does not achieve your fold equity, it increases the possibility that the BB will isolate itself with a monster played slow preflop, whether you decide to re-raise or simply call to induce him to continue betting with his bluffs.
On the turn, you choose a neutral size again, so the perception of ranges hasn't changed much.
On the river you choose a half pot bet, an indicative size of hard value. Villain again has a tough decision, as his value hands could isolate him with your slow-playing monsters preflop. As the cost of confrontation is very high, the villain could even fold hands w/ AQ; KQ when he thinks there are no bluffs in your range. In a situation like this, the confrontations are very different from cash games.
Congratulations on the victory !!

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fantastic result and fitting reward for the obvious hard work you've been putting into your game. Congratulations.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well Done!!!

Fantastic result and fitting reward for the obvious hard work you've been putting into your game. Congratulations.

Thanks guys!! Still sinking in on many levels but overall just feeling very fortunate to run how I did (I played several hands totally like crap and got bailed out) but also proud of all the work I've been putting in the last 6 months.

In addition to just doing my own hand review and such, I've been working with a mental game coach and a tournament coach and both have absolutely had positive impacts on my game and life.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good shit man. But now is the time to get out of mtts on top :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Flop (510k) JJ4css

Turn (810k) 5d

River (1.51M) Qc

Awesome win! ... and what an insane hand!

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now that covid restrictions are lessening, any chance of another meetup game at live? :)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apologies for the massive time delay in updating here guys, but... life has just been. Well, kind of up and down.

If you missed it, I didn't get to keep the money from the ignition win:

Also if you missed it, I went hard playing these live series at Wynn and Venetian that they seemed to coordinate as a wsop replacement. I binked a thing: https://twitter.com/VenetianPoker/status/1404575854416384001?s=20

The results since have been abysmal, but cash has been going great, so can't really complain. I also just had a deep run in the ACR Venom, ripping off 4 BI in a $2,650 entry.

I'm also working on getting an editor to work on my vlog which should allow me to pump out more content soon, and overall I'm trying to get hyped for WSOP. I also don't think I mentioned before that I've worked with a mental game coach AND an MTT coach. I recently just rebooked the MTT coach for 10 more sessions and I'm getting pretty fired up to work on my game.

Can't promise I'll have super frequent posts, but I'm looking to do better than in 2020 (and 2021 so far) at least!

Vamoooooo

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some of you may have seen and others may not... but I'm officially a CardsChat Pro now! Amongst other things, I'll be maintaining an AMA thread that you can send hands or other questions to here:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...ghan-poker-vlogger-ask-me-489895/#post6124836

Some of those hand histories and other questions will also find their way into YouTube videos on the CardsChat YouTube channel.

Anyway one thing I'm sad that I stopped doing in these threads is giving musical backdrops, so here you go.

The past few weeks have been full of highs and lows. Going official with CardsChat, cashing the Venom (but busting before the money got big), getting some new gear for my desk (but having it not work correctly straight out of the box), hiring editors so I can be more efficient on my YouTube channel (but not having them be ready to work yet).

Some things are just in a holding pattern and will resolve soon (like the editor stuff), but I'm sort of impatient to move forward and really start churning content again so that still feels like a roadblock for me right now.

It's funny how a lot of the things I consider "highs" and "lows" aren't poker-related anymore. It's not that poker doesn't cause its own struggles. But I think dealing with the insane high and supreme low associated with the whole Ignition Milly victory (and defeat) has somewhat desensitized me to the swings a bit.

Maybe it's also that I've had some big swings since then so there was really never a calming down period. A bink at the Venetian followed by some of the biggest live buyins I've played and total brick city in them. Then the Venom. First bricking with 100% of myself, then cashing with action sold lol.

All in all these swings are just part of the game, and I think part of me at my core is coming to peace with that. Maybe the other part is just numb to it but I think I'm getting there.

Excited for what's coming next, and that's generally a good sign.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always good to hear from you and as always wish you the best :)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always good to hear from you and as always wish you the best :)

Thanks Jay!

Rereading the previous post, I feel like I sounded a lot more melancholy than I actually was. Or maybe I'm just trying to be out the other side.

But I do I think I've leveled out a bit, thanks in large part to putting tournaments on the back burner, and focusing on live cash games.

I've been doing this primarily because I need content for the vlog, and with new editors I want to have a backlog of content to start throwing at them, especially as WSOP starts and I'm unsure how much table footage I'll realistically be able to get.

So far it's been going well, and I've put out several videos that I've been pretty proud of, even if they haven't performed quite to the level that I'd prefer yet.

Either way I'm pumped to keep it rolling, but feeling a little overwhelmed heading into WSOP. I've had so much going on I haven't even tried to sell action yet and the series is basically immediately upon us. Plus my favorite staking platform, TastyStakes, hasn't been functional in over a year, which makes selling much more of a chore, organizationally.

I'm even on the fence about just keeping a significant % of myself more than normal and just playing a slightly more limited schedule. Clearly I have next to nothing sorted out at this point, lol.

Well... guess I'll figure it out.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love it Matt, Great Stuff!!!

Organize a Home Poker Game