Live Grind: How to Fall Asleep at the Table (Without Getting Caught)

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ: Well played. $30 to win $100. Villain only has to be bluffing like 20% of the time if my quick math is correct, and his line is super bluffy.

KK: Standard. These types of hands annoy me. I really hate short stacks.

KK II: Does villain have any sizing tendencies? His sizing changes pretty dramatically from the turn to the river. As played, river call is probably fine.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't say I'd really picked up any sizing tendencies, no.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said he limp/called $30 pre, correct? Does he usually raise preflop with good hands? A limp/call from the CO seems like pocket pairs or maybe J10s/QJs. It's hard to put an Ace in his range unless he's really loose pre or doesn't raise A10 from the CO. The more I think about it, the more I think you are beat by a set or flush...

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember that he was the 3rd limper. So I think his range is pretty damn wide here. He wasn't raising many hands preflop, but he was getting into a fair few pots.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
77 makes a lot of sense with that sizing, swell as hands like A7/AT with no clubs, larger bet most likely looks like protection. given your image even hands like AQdd/AJss are possible.

does villain hand read very well? would raising the river be very horrible? we have already severely discounted flush draws from the villains range, and we have a great nut blocker, I'm only concerned with how many nut hands we rep, if you have the image of getting out of line then AA/86s/XXcc can be perceived to be possible then raising might be a more profitable line than calling, I'm less sure about the turn call than i am the river call, as the river call sets us a much better price.

looking forward to the next installment

also get a new computer and get back on Skype,

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AJ hand: Not a premium hand, but pretty good/strong. Preflop sizing (7x) is quite big (I assume this is 1/2$). Flop was fine. Turn could have continued barreling but given your reads is ok to check. River call was good getting 2.4 to 1 on that board. However, against better players capable of value betting thinly (second pair hands), it could have been a fold only if the bet was substantially bigger. But this isn't the case, so well played. Overall hand review: A.

KhKd: Every street was standard. OHR: A+

KcKs: Good sizing preflop. Could have Cbet that flop since it hits your raising range more than it hits the limper's calling range. By checking, you give him an opportunity to put pressure on you on a lot of turn cards and later street. By betting you could have narrowed his hand better and get value from PP 88-JJ that just flatted pre. I would have Cbet and checked most club turns, then decide river. Turn call was good given the line you took. River, I'm curious why you discounted flush draws... He could have some flush draws that played this way, if he was value betting an ace on the turn then he would, most times than not, check/c that river. Don't like the river call given your check on the flop. OHR: B-

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but KK is pretty clearly WA/WB+ some draws, betting flop doesn't make a ton of sense unless we can do it for value, and doing that has a higher EV than checking, which I really doubt.

my only real problem with checking is that our perceived range lines up pretty exactly with what we have, so even if they make mistakes v our range but our correct v our hand we should be aware of it and try exploit them by not paying them off and try strengthen our checking range.

what are you doing on flop with club draws/whats your rough iso range on flop and what are you doing with AA/AK/99+ and 89+?

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it is a WA/WB situation but the draws is what makes it different in a way that we can get value from those draws if we bet flop. if it was a dryer flop, then yeah I'd like a check. But there is a lot of hands that the villain can continue with here. And if we bet, we get to control the size of the pot IP and we can decide to check or bet later streets. As opposed to checking, we let him bluff us (which is good) but our hand can't really stand pressure on that particular board. Hence, I like keeping the initiative and price ourselves at least on the flop.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haven't read other sage thoughts yet - so quickly written first reaction:

AJ hand – great, well played. I think this hand highlights where your hand ranging and opponent categorization skills are at.

KK a) – perfect, lousy river but at least villain smashed the flop in terms of equity. I would say raise more pre, but nothing is wrong w/ $12. Imagine you vary it, but what’s your standard live opening with say KK no limpers? If it’s around $12, this might have been better at $18. In light of being seen (wrongly) as the table thief too.

KK b) – never easy to lay down KK, but villain’s MP limp / call range (to me) includes weak Ax hands as I read them. Could the turn ‘go away’ bet of 80% pot potentially be aggression that is disguising weakness – a poor Ax kicker rather than him purely sensing weakness in you. I cannot be sure as 10x hands such as – Q-10, J-10, 10-9, may do the same thing. In this light, whether to call river is tough for me. I expect villain to show up with 2nd pair, Ax or if he’s as bad as some 200NL fish I play against – horrible flush draws like 93cc or J2cc.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of great replies going on itt, thanks for keeping me on my toes and thinking, guys.

@romeo: Sorry that I didn't clarify this further. The main reason I'm discounting FD's isn't because I think he has NO combos, it's because so many FD combos that people would play this way are blocked. Most notably, the Ac is on the board, so he can't have any Ax of clubs. The Kc is in my hand, so that removed KQcc, KJcc, and worse Kx club draws. The Tc is also on the board, and he really only has SC's left for club draws, 2 of which are blocked by the Tc. Imo he's stuck with basically QJcc, 98cc, 87cc, 76cc. Which isn't all that many combos. Maybe he also has Q9cc and J9cc as well, but I discount those a little, and that's still not a ton of combos.

@duggs: But if he's putting me pretty much on what I have, he doesn't need any protection, right? Cause I'm drawing to 2 outs. Idk that we can give him that fundamental a flaw in reasoning, though it's tempting to for sure. To be honest I think that raising the river constitutes almost pure spew, because I think his river betting range is relatively polarized. We fall directly in the middle with a perfect bluff catcher imo, and I don't think he folds anything he value bets here.

I don't know what you mean by my iso range on the flop? Or do you mean preflop? But with club draws on the flop I'm betting close to 100%, especially when I have a gutshot or open-ender to go with (which will be almost all my FD's). I suppose that makes a better case for betting flop, but having position made me feel comfortable I could make correct decisions on later streets without betting my hand. Solid analysis as usual though - I appreciate it.

@stately: Keep in mind that my sizing does vary a LOT based on table dynamics, limpers, stack sizes, etc. My standard open at a table full of mostly unknowns with no limpers would be $10. This table was folding a lot to bigger sizes, so I felt comfortable sizing down a bit. I was opening to $8 with no limpers, so I felt $12 was a good size.

To the thread: In second KK hand, I think that villain's river bet is fairly polarizing (this is a theme, you might notice), and while the player seemed decent, I find it unlikely that he bombs turn and continues on river with a weak Ax hand. I may have read into it too much, but I actually think the spot was more clear cut. Duggs put it well when he said that by checking back the flop I essentially make it so my hand falls directly into my perceived range. SDV hands that are mostly made of PP's JJ-KK. But because of this, I think ALL his value hands size smaller.

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@romeo: Sorry that I didn't clarify this further. The main reason I'm discounting FD's isn't because I think he has NO combos, it's because so many FD combos that people would play this way are blocked. Most notably, the Ac is on the board, so he can't have any Ax of clubs. The Kc is in my hand, so that removed KQcc, KJcc, and worse Kx club draws. The Tc is also on the board, and he really only has SC's left for club draws, 2 of which are blocked by the Tc. Imo he's stuck with basically QJcc, 98cc, 87cc, 76cc. Which isn't all that many combos. Maybe he also has Q9cc and J9cc as well, but I discount those a little, and that's still not a ton of combos.

Very true. FDs are a very small percentage of his range.

In second KK hand, I think that villain's river bet is fairly polarizing (this is a theme, you might notice), and while the player seemed decent, I find it unlikely that he bombs turn and continues on river with a weak Ax hand.
Makes a lot of sense. Hopefully you called him down and took it down with 2 big streets of value from him!

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Scourrge, haven't heard from you mate, did you fall to sleep at the tables? Hopefully you didn't get caught... d:p

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@duggs: But if he's putting me pretty much on what I have, he doesn't need any protection, right? Cause I'm drawing to 2 outs. Idk that we can give him that fundamental a flaw in reasoning, though it's tempting to for sure. To be honest I think that raising the river constitutes almost pure spew, because I think his river betting range is relatively polarized. We fall directly in the middle with a perfect bluff catcher imo, and I don't think he folds anything he value bets here.

I don't know what you mean by my iso range on the flop? Or do you mean preflop? But with club draws on the flop I'm betting close to 100%, especially when I have a gutshot or open-ender to go with (which will be almost all my FD's). I suppose that makes a better case for betting flop, but having position made me feel comfortable I could make correct decisions on later streets without betting my hand. Solid analysis as usual though - I appreciate it.

To the thread: In second KK hand, I think that villain's river bet is fairly polarizing (this is a theme, you might notice), and while the player seemed decent, I find it unlikely that he bombs turn and continues on river with a weak Ax hand. I may have read into it too much, but I actually think the spot was more clear cut. Duggs put it well when he said that by checking back the flop I essentially make it so my hand falls directly into my perceived range. SDV hands that are mostly made of PP's JJ-KK. But because of this, I think ALL his value hands size smaller.

surely he has to be folding some of his value bets to a raise, we removed the nuts from his range almost entirely and we can turn up with hands as strong as top set etc.

yup sorry i typed on my phone and it corrects pre flop to flop lol. V a somewhat reasonable hand reader (which we seem to be giving him credit for) I think it makes a lot of sense to protect our checking range by checking some flush draws that might beat some of his 1 and done turn bluffs, like KQcc KJcc, and also check AA here.

regarding the bolded part, just being clear that thats an exploitive read you are making there, as TTP drilled me for, fundamentally when facing a range of purely bluff catchers trying to get to showdown, its most effect to bet larger with a mixture of bluffs and values bets, and to even over bet.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree it's exploitative (and exploitable). But it's live poker, so exploitative is usually the key to the greatest success. When I say he was a decent hand reader, I don't mean that he's a truly strong thinker. It means he is above level 1, at level 2 (thinking about what I have). I don't think he's on level 3 though. Which means that trying to be on level 4 is probably overkill.

Not sure I phrased that exactly as I want, but: I agree protecting our check-back range makes a lot of sense, and I probably need to start considering this more, especially for when playing against tougher opponents. However in this spot I get a little confused, since I don't play against many of these players enough to think that I'll get into many similar spots against them ever again, if that makes sense. Like I can't play a strategy for the long-run, because I'll never reach it against them.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Post Two

It became increasingly obvious that this player was not just aggressive, but VERY loose. As people loosened up slowly to adjust, it became almost comical how many hands he was playing preflop. His stats were something like 80/65 - this is NOT an exaggeration. I was looking for any spot I could to get involved with this player, but I wasn't just card dead with respect to premiums - I couldn't even get marginal hands to try to make monsters with. Until around 2am, when I finally picked up a hand in a perfect spot...

Preflop: :js4: :jc4:
Villain’s stack his been up and down, and he’s now sitting on only about $160-$180 (it’s tough to see as he’s in seat 8 and I’m in seat 1). I’m ready to get it all in preflop with him if he lets me. Villain makes it $17 (his standard size) UTG, and the decent reg in between us folds. Perfect. I 3bet to $50 without much thought, planning to shove almost any flop. It folds around to the aggro-fish villain who snap calls after asking how much the bet is.

Flop: ($100) :10s4: :8c4: :7d4: (2 players)
Villain checks to me as I expect him to do with most of his range when he wasn’t the last preflop aggressor. I quickly go all in ($117), and villain snap calls.

Turn: ($100) :qc4: (3 players)

River: ($380) :2h4: (2 players)
I say “I have jacks,” and villain rolls QJo to scoop.

I was devastated in the moment. It wasn’t even that much of a bad beat in reality, as villain had 7 outs, but it was just gross to think that jacks were the absolute bottom of my jamming range there. He was drawing to just 4 outs against the rest of my range. My stack was crushed back down below $200 after this, and I topped up.

I kept my nose clean for a few orbits, making sure I was folding anything even resembling a marginal spot preflop, so as to not tilt-spew any chips away. I needed my ammunition for the war. I couldn’t misuse it – I needed to save it all for the next inevitable confrontation. I got my head back on straight and began looking for any spot I could find to get involved with the fish where I didn’t risk getting reraised by anyone. I was still pretty card dead, which was all the more frustrating after nearly stacking the fish, but I remember distinctly thinking to myself: “These are the nights where winrates are made.”

It was not too long before I got into another favorable spot.

Preflop: :6s4: :6h4:
Aggro-fish villain is MP and makes it $12. I call, as do the blinds.

Flop: ($45) :kd4: :js4: :6c4: (4 players)
Perfect flop. I’ve flopped a set, but just as importantly, it’s a flop that could potentially spark a lot of action. It checks to villain, who bets $20. I think about calling, but I expect I’m going to get the most value by far by just raising and getting value from the aggro fish. I bump it to $65, and it folds to villain, who quickly calls.

Turn: ($170) :7c4: (3 players)
At this point I realize I’ve sort of messed up my sizing, as I’ve got about $180 left, and I would have preferred to make a smaller turn jam. Villain checks to me, and I decide that a jam is still the highest EV play. I jam, and villain tanks and folds, showing a J.

It was pretty tough to not get paid off here, especially after villain called it off so light before and binked his 7 outer. But I was not overly deterred – I reminded myself: “These are the nights where winrates are made.” It was only another 20 or 30 minutes before we got involved again:

Preflop: :as4: :4s4:
It somehow folds around to the Asian aggro-fish, who bumps the action to $17 in MP. The reg in between folds. I decide to flat, knowing I’m well ahead of the fish’s opening range, but not seeing much value in making a 3bet preflop. I’m already likely to go HU to the flop, and see no reason to create an SPR of 5 with a non-premium holding.

Flop: ($35) :3d4: :3c4: :3s4: (2 players)
Villain makes a cbet for $20, and I flat, still way ahead of his range. He was cbetting very close to 100%, and that’s including 3-, 4-, and 5-way pots.

Turn: ($75) :7c4: (2 players)
Villain checks this time, and since I think I have showdown value but can’t really bet for value, I check behind.

River: ($75) :3h4: (2 players)
Quads just hit the board. I have the nuts, with my ace kicker, and I’m having trouble seeing straight because of it. Villain checks, and before I can convince myself that a smaller bet might be higher EV, I shove all in for nearly $300 effective. Villain tanks for a minute or so and folds, showing a 7 in disgust. I don’t know if he had a higher kicker or if he was playing the board though.

In retrospect, I feel like a smaller bet was probably in order. Even something on the order of pot would have gotten way more calls. But I really wanted to look like I was just getting crazy, and since I’d already shoved into him a few times, I didn’t rule out a call from something like queen high. There was a high-hand promo running that night, and with quad 3’s and a 7 kicker (I didn’t want to show down my hand), I had taken the lead. With only 4 other tables running, it seemed extremely likely that my hand would hold and I’d take down the $100 bonus, which was starting to feel pretty damn good given how I’d been running against the fish thus far.

It wasn’t just that I’d run bad though – a decent reg had come to our table maybe 2 hours after the fish, and had stacked him about one and a half times. He was sitting on over $600 now, after starting with about $200. It was frustrating knowing that the rest of the table was hoping to do exactly what I was hoping to do – stack-a-fish a few times and keep inviting him back for more. I was also the only one at the table to get sucked out on by the fish in a sizable pot, so it was doubly annoying to think about how far up I was in EV in comparison to my actual stack.

With about 10 minutes to go until 3am, I was feeling antsy, but good about winning the high hand promo. It was pretty unlikely I’d lose, and one of the options for promo money is to add it to your stack – even if that puts you over the maximum buyin. The fish was covering me again at that point, so I was looking forward to having some added ammunition. But my plans were foiled when, at 2:58am, I heard the dreaded announcement over the loudspeaker:

“New high hand of the hour: Straight flush to the 9.”

The next words spoken were by the dealer on my immediate right.

“Now that’s a kick in the balls…”

A couple people voiced their agreement, but the reggish player on my left said, “No, you saying it was a kick in the balls was the kick in the balls.”

“Can we stop talking about how much of a ‘kick in the balls’ this all is, please?” I pleaded.

The conversation turned back away from how shitty I could possibly run, and how much kicking my balls could take, and I tried to refocus on the game. I reminded myself that I was still playing quite well, adjusting to the whale-like player sitting two to my right. And I resolved not to leave until that fish was out of money.

But I didn’t get the chance to follow through on that promise to myself. Another hour or so had passed, and I was back to being up about $100 on the night. The whale-villain made it $17 UTG, and I snap-folded my J4o. The action folded around to the SB, who had been sitting on a pretty short stack and playing fairly tight for the night. The poor guy was clearly unprepared for this game, as he sat down with just under $100, and the standard preflop raise was $17 (80% of them coming from the fish). Recently he’d been getting a little fed up and calling pre, but he just wasn’t equipped to handle this action, and he was folding a ton postflop. He’d gone all in preflop for about $60 a few times now and gotten folds. When the action got to him, he shrugged his $50 stack into the pot, and the BB folded. The SB did not look confident at all. What happened next was one of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen at a poker table.

“How much more?” the whale-villain asked. He turned over his cards – pocket aces – and pushed them forward near his chips.

The dealer’s hand swung forward… and swept the whale’s rockets into the muck.

“WHAT THE ****?!” The whale was not happy.

“You mucked your cards, sir,” the dealer replied calmly.

“Are you ****ing kidding me?” The whale had a mixture of incredulity and rage on his face.

“You didn’t say ‘call,’ you didn’t put any chips in, and you pushed your cards forward – that’s a muck,” the dealer replied again, a little less calmly now.

“Are you ****ing kidding me,” the whale asked louder this time – perhaps wondering if the dealer hadn’t heard his question the first time. “You really think I would just muck my pocket aces – I had pocket aces!!”

The conversation (shouting contest) went on like this for another, awkward 30 seconds, before the whale asked for the dealer to call the floor over. The dealer did, and after another uncomfortable minute or so, the floor managed to get both sides of the story – all with the all-in short stack sitting quietly by. When all was said and done, and with surprisingly few expletives in between, the floor decided that the hand was still live (though the cards themselves were not retrieved from the muck), and the board would be runout and the pot pushed to whichever hand won.

I won’t lie. I wanted that short-stack to double up. I had a sneaking suspicion that the whale wasn’t going to be interested in sticking around much longer. When he heard the verdict, the short-stack sheepishly turned over J7o. The board didn’t even bring him a pair, and he left once the pot was pushed to the still-emphatic whale. Just two hands later, he was racking up his chips and huffily asking the name of the dealer at the front desk. I gripped the side of the table in frustration and disgust. There was no doubt in my mind as to why the fish was leaving – had it not been for that little incident, I was certain he would have stayed for another $500 at least.

I didn’t “make” my winrate that night, it’s true. But I gained a lot of valuable experience. I played well. I bounced back from frustrating win after frustrating defeat. And I learned something about myself. No matter how infuriating the player, and no matter how bad the run, those are the games I will live for. It doesn’t matter how annoying that whale is – he is the game. It doesn’t matter how bad I run – this is the essence of the phrase “+EV.” These are the games I will live for.

This is where winrates are made.

Last edited:
duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree it's exploitative (and exploitable). But it's live poker, so exploitative is usually the key to the greatest success. When I say he was a decent hand reader, I don't mean that he's a truly strong thinker. It means he is above level 1, at level 2 (thinking about what I have). I don't think he's on level 3 though. Which means that trying to be on level 4 is probably overkill.

Not sure I phrased that exactly as I want, but: I agree protecting our check-back range makes a lot of sense, and I probably need to start considering this more, especially for when playing against tougher opponents. However in this spot I get a little confused, since I don't play against many of these players enough to think that I'll get into many similar spots against them ever again, if that makes sense. Like I can't play a strategy for the long-run, because I'll never reach it against them.

yes you can, thats what we are always doing at the table. imagine we had KQcc here, and are aware that our non cbetting range is going to be weak, so we check back, he bets, we think we have good SDV v his bluffs and great equity v his value bets, and we don't rep a strong range by calling (and again leaves our calling range unprotected again.) river comes in and he bets again, typically our perceived range holds no flush draws, and he bets river, not only have we managed to induce some bluffs that likely have very little equity, but we also constructed a river where we have the nuts and a very weak perceived range. we raise over his bet and print money.

or better yet check back AA and raise this river (he doesn't fold value hands and its really hard to have a flush) or better beta blank runnout.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the story above i don't think i could keep quiet. The dealer is a ****ing moron.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes you can, thats what we are always doing at the table. imagine we had KQcc here, and are aware that our non cbetting range is going to be weak, so we check back, he bets, we think we have good SDV v his bluffs and great equity v his value bets, and we don't rep a strong range by calling (and again leaves our calling range unprotected again.) river comes in and he bets again, typically our perceived range holds no flush draws, and he bets river, not only have we managed to induce some bluffs that likely have very little equity, but we also constructed a river where we have the nuts and a very weak perceived range. we raise over his bet and print money.

or better yet check back AA and raise this river (he doesn't fold value hands and its really hard to have a flush) or better beta blank runnout.

You're right of course. I guess what I mean is that we play for the long run but never reach it against individuals. Like all I can think about is when I was playing private games in NY, and I got it in with the nut straight against the bottom end of the straight and TP + open-ended to nut end of straight. We ran it once, and I had to chop the pot in half, with the deeper-stacked player. These are not necessarily situations I'll see again for another few years of playing live, and certainly never against those people again.

But ofc our strat still has to be in terms of ranges - even if we don't reach every single scenario that could occur between those ranges.

In the story above i don't think i could keep quiet. The dealer is a ****ing moron.

To be honest, it was definitely not as clear cut as you'd think. I think the dealer made a mistake for sure, but the guy wasn't even reaching back for chips to put in the pot. It's not the dealer's job to look down, see that it's pocket aces, and then decide to not muck because who would muck pocket aces. It was a mistake for sure, but not a massive one imo.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems like you run bad on the most juicy of tables, Scourrge.

JJ: Nauseating.
66: I might opt to bet like half the pot or something and make villain commit his stack for the river. But your line isn't bad at all considering your opponent.
A4: I actually like your line, I think. It looks super weird and may induce a terrible call from an aggro opponent. Betting like $100 might get you paid off more, though.

AA into the muck: The dealer actually isn't wrong. They're trained to do exactly that, regardless of the hand being shown. A lot of dealers will cut the player a break and warn them, but if the guy was a reg, there is no excuse. He knows the rules. That's what he gets for not just saying call and rolling his hand. He knows he has the best hand. What is he doing - looking for tells? Why ask "How much more?" He's never folding.

I think my issue would be with the floor decision. They know the rules, too. I've heard of several different instances where a mucked hand was ruled live, yet they always talk about how pushing a hand forward is a muck, protect your hand, etc. It shouldn't make a difference if the hand was AA. What if it was 72o? I bet they rule it a dead hand.

Nice post, btw. Kind of inspires me right now. This week has been truly ugly, not only in running bad but terrible play. I gotta get back to what I was doing. Be patient and wait for good spots. Sometimes those spots won't work out, but there is no reason to add bad decision making to a downswing.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post, btw. Kind of inspires me right now. This week has been truly ugly, not only in running bad but terrible play. I gotta get back to what I was doing. Be patient and wait for good spots. Sometimes those spots won't work out, but there is no reason to add bad decision making to a downswing.

Hectic session Scourrge. But a great read and concur with Sand. My last 2 200NL live sessions lost total of $270. Saturday was majorly card dead on super juicy table, so slight tilt which led to one questionable decision in particular when I flopped 2 pair facing a shove. Still, up twice that overall for January, and goals remain around patience and analyzing each situation more completely on its own merit.

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And I learned something about myself. No matter how infuriating the player, and no matter how bad the run, those are the games I will live for. It doesn’t matter how annoying that whale is – he is the game. It doesn’t matter how bad I run – this is the essence of the phrase “+EV.” These are the games I will live for.

This is where winrates are made.

This is huge for your game. To be able to distance the emotions of competition from your critical thinking process is the hardest obstacle to overcome.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. While it's frustrating to take one of the highest EV situations I've ever been in and come out with such a small win, I know that I'm a big favorite in these games, and I'm looking forward to actualizing that equity.

Didn't get around to any live games this weekend, as there's a career fair tomorrow (I'm a senior in college), and I had a whole bunch of other stuff happening. Next weekend I'm visiting my girlfriend, so unless I put in a weekday session this week (certainly possible), I may not be playing until about a week and a half from now.

I've built my online bankroll back up from a freaklishly low $30ish to about $100, and I'll probably continue trying to build that back up to where it was when I made my withdrawal. There's also a chance (not sure how likely) that I'll be going with Sand to Pittsburgh's Rivers casino two weeks from now for their big $1k deepstack. If we go, we'd playing the $50 satellite to try to get in cheap, and if we can't get in, just play cash games. Would be fun either way, so really hoping we can make that happen.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool, hope two of you do get to do that Pittsburgh trip. Satty / MTT or cash, should make for some good stories ;)

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to go. But I'm still not sure. This past week has been one of the worst poker weeks I've had in a long time - if not the absolute worst. However, I believe February 17th is Presidents Day. Lots of people are off work, which will feed (and soften) the weekly Monday noon tourney at the 'Shoe. I may play in it, and if I can cash for a decent amount or can somehow bink it, I feel like I'd be dumb not to hit up that 1K tourney.

Organize a Home Poker Game