Live game speech tells

S

sactokid544

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing live and are forced with a tough decision against villian, i.e. you got 4bet pre by a tight player while you hold KK, facing a big reraise with 2nd or 3rd nuts, etc.

And while you are in the tank, villian says, "I'll show if you fold."

Or, if you ask villian if he will show if you fold and he replies, "yes".. Or something similar... Do you interpret that as a strong hand most of the time?

What has your experience been?

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More often than not, it indicates that the villian has a strong hand. Not too often will they do this with a bluff because you would get a huge read on them.

However, I would pay more attention to the board and betting than verbal jabs by the other players... Although I have used a bit of acting to get a fish to shove all-in with a flush draw and paired board (I had a full house).

I rarely, if ever show live without being required to. Anybody asks me to show, I usually just shrug and tell them if they want to see my cards, they have to pay for the priviledge (win or lose).

S

sactokid544

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More often than not, it indicates that the villian has a strong hand. Not too often will they do this with a bluff because you would get a huge read on them.

However, I would pay more attention to the board and betting than verbal jabs by the other players... Although I have used a bit of acting to get a fish to shove all-in with a flush draw and paired board (I had a full house).

I rarely, if ever show live without being required to. Anybody asks me to show, I usually just shrug and tell them if they want to see my cards, they have to pay for the priviledge (win or lose).

Ya. I usually just ignore them. It's easier for me. I wear sunglasses, so I just close my eyes and listen to my music.

K

Kidsoldja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more you talk, the more information you give to your opponent, I laugh when people show me their hands, cuz all you have to do is just analyse their betting patterns with the hands they showed you and sooner or later you ll catch em. I never ever show my hands whether its a live or online game. theres absolutely no good that can come out of it in my opinion. It would be interesting to know what others think.

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least for me that's an indicator that they have a huge hand, because they're willing to show to you. Usually when someone is bluffing in live games, they will say the opposite if asked.

S

sactokid544

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever had them tell you they will show if you fold, then you fold and he doesn't show? LOL

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I'll show if you fold" can go either way. In fact because it's a common line that seems to have started as meaning they've got a hand can be so easily flipped over to mean the opposite, it's poker, that's what people do, they try to conceal information. If it's easy to manipulate, ignore it.

That's not to say no verbal tells are worth listening to, if there are inconsistancies in what someone says in various situations, if their tone of voice is different, the direction their head is facing when they say something, it's all worth being aware of.

It's the same with visual tells, as an example deep breathing is such a reliable indicator against someone in their first live game because it's so basic yet after they've played a session or two it's the LEAST reliable tell because it's so easy to manipulate and every half-decent reg, even some terrible regs, have learned to turn it around.

K

Kidsoldja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever had them tell you they will show if you fold, then you fold and he doesn't show? LOL

Thats actually considered disrespectfull at a poker table and heavily frowned upon, its very unethical and people generaly dont do it. Generally if someone says they will show you if you fold then they should honor that.

S

sactokid544

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats actually considered disrespectfull at a poker table and heavily frowned upon, its very unethical and people generaly dont do it. Generally if someone says they will show you if you fold then they should honor that.

True. But some poker purests might argue that it doesn't matter.. Your mission is to take the other guys money, not be respectful. If you are disrespectful and anger other players, wouldn't it cost them to make mistakes?

I just never show in the first place.

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When asked the question im not sure what im giving away with which response or with no response whatsoever so I always say ill show them one card but they have to chose which one.

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least for me that's an indicator that they have a huge hand, because they're willing to show to you. Usually when someone is bluffing in live games, they will say the opposite if asked.
I don't think this is true some people are more willing to show a bluff than to show a winner. By showing a bluff it puts in the other players head that your capable of bluffing and they may call you when you have a winning hand, whereas if you show them a winner then they know they have a good read and made a good fold.

D

Dantigua

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
video clip - forget the speech... the guy is so excited he gets up out of his chair... I think joe navaro would list that as a tell of a big hand... rather than anything that was said

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games Poker Tells