Limping Big pairs

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often do you limp big pairs? especially in Snap mode since players don't often pay, and is it a good strategy?

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How often do you limp big pairs? especially in Snap mode since players don't often pay, and is it a good strategy?
Sometimes i like to trap, when some maniac is on the table for example

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think if you are not an experienced player you should not do this, but if you play hard you can try to do it but in the long run I think you will be in a big red so refrain from doing it:)

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I never limp any hands, big pairs, small pairs, none. Not ever completing from the SB.
Limping is a losing strategy for cash games: we give up initiative, we allow several multi-way pots, we are going to play OOP, when the flop comes even if he hit sets we are not sure about what to do, we can never bluff on the flop, and we must pay the rake.
There are tons of other reasons for not to limp into the pot, but anyone does what it thinks it’s best.
I have plenty of cash courses, have read many books, watched lots of streamers and I never saw any serious cash player recommending this “strategy”.
I’m not sure about tournaments, but I’m quite sure it’s a losing strategy as well:
Poker is a game of aggressive gameplay and moves. Many times we are going to win pots not because we own the best hand, but because we play aggressively. Not maniacally.
Of course there are times to be passive preflop and postflop, but not by limping.
And don’t listen to people who doesn’t play cash.
Don’t listen to people who post on the forum just for the sake of maintaining its platinum level status and have access to freerolls: listen to John Anhalt, Nathan Williams, Nanonoko, Doug Poulk, I’m just paraphrasing these guys, for I’m not better than anyone, just a known learning fish, but I talk things that I have learned. Also check the 30 days CardsChat course on the power of aggression. You will find it in the Learning Poker Thread.

“The Lannisters send their regards”

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I used to limp a lot when I first started playing, and yes it can be profitable short term, but I find now I prefer raising pre-flop as it thins down the number of players you are up against, You really do not want to see a flop when holding A/A that comes 4,5,6 as some players will limp with 7/8 off, and therefore you are losing, raising with a big pair could chase away these players leaving you with players with better hands like A/K, A/Q, A/J, or smaller pocket pairs.
There is no certainty that you are going to win with a huge pair but the pot is already bloated and you could take it down with one continuation bet after the flop, Some players like to win huge all-in pots because it is exciting, but the reality is Poker is not only about being all-in, Winning several smaller pots can bring success just the same, It just takes a little longer, and Poker is a game of Patience!
Many poker games I see on Stream's etc, most of the time never reach the River, sometimes they don't even see a flop as the Professional players are raising and re-raising and taking the pots down before any more cards are dealt. This is why you need to watch some of the Streamers playing On-line and watch the action as it happens, TV. games only show you the exciting hands because it makes good TV., but in reality there are many hands you don't see.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
John Anhalt? I didn't found any recent article or video of him
Yeah, now professor @John A is famous and rich and doesn’t waste his time producing videos to us. :LOL:

But there’s the Polished Poker Vol I

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
For a new player, limp betting is an involuntary process in which he does not want to bet a large amount into the pot, while not collecting a large hand and not risking at all. more cases than when players play tight or passive for regulars. This will confuse your opponents.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I personally don't limp aces at all unless it is against a player i know will attack me for doing it. The best chance to lose with Aces is by limping them.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About 1% of the time. Depending how the table plays, but almost never. It is simply not a profitable play in the long run.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The best chance to lose with Aces is by limping them.
Totally agree. Case and point I cracked limping aces w/KJ one night right after a rvr-beat. I was short-stacked and saw an opportunity and went for it. I got 3 callers including the AA which was the bettor to my right. He shoved and got a caller. He won his side and I won the main.

KevinRBTV

KevinRBTV

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think i gonna start limping AA if it's going on like today 🙈 4 times AA and never got action 😕

KevinRBTV

KevinRBTV

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think i gonna start limping AA if it's going on like today 🙈 4 times AA and never got action 😕
Just in this second 😑

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230521_120414_GGPoker.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_120414_GGPoker.jpg
    906.7 KB · Views: 1
JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

I generally avoid getting into a limping hand with high pairs in poker. This is because these hands are very high value and deserve a more aggressive approach. I choose to raise before the flop to build the pot and reduce the number of players, increasing my chances of winning the hand. By avoiding the limp, I can protect my high pair and have more control over the course of the game.

GL

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont like limping in with high pairs, funny things happen in poker and you can lose the hand so easy. The old saying, make them pay to play.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping is not the way a tight/loose aggressive player should consider very often. Although is seems to be pretty standard on low stakes cash or tournament games.
Perhaps players think that raising a hand polarizes the range too much, i don't really know the reason.
Trapping with big pairs is not the way I like to play. And postflop you have to work much harder, mostly your big pair hand has to improve to trips at least.
And if you are on a draw heavy flop you mostly have a big problem if its a multiway hand with 3 or more other players, these are common situations with limped pots, in that hand. Raising big or reraise all in with KK+ should reduce the field.

K

Ketoupitou

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't like limping big pairs because I've been burn many times doing this.

KevinRBTV

KevinRBTV

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello!

I generally avoid getting into a limping hand with high pairs in poker. This is because these hands are very high value and deserve a more aggressive approach. I choose to raise before the flop to build the pot and reduce the number of players, increasing my chances of winning the hand. By avoiding the limp, I can protect my high pair and have more control over the course of the game.

GL
This is absolutely the right way to play them but the chance of getting no action ist possible

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Or que mais aprendi com os profissionais de pôquer é que você nunca deve dar limp.

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In live games ill limp if im in early position.
Snap mode ill raise or reraise.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
only sometimes depending on the players