Limit Strategy

F

flopquads

Total posts
I'm a relatively new player and recently been playing .5/$1 limit hold em at a local card club. I have to say that I enjoy this more than on-line NLHE because my money last longer, it's more social, and I learn lessons much easier.

My question is with strategy. I find that people go with some pretty loose hands. I remember when I lost one hand with trip 10s, 1 10 in the pocket with ace kicker, to a player who hit full-house with poket 10,2.

So, should one generally play more loose in limit, than in no-limit?

But it's not all beats. I learned that most plays go all the way to the river and, because the raises are fixed, and was able to beat a bluff with a pair of aces. That was quite nice! I was certain that the other player had at least 2 pair, possibly a high straight. I guess with pot odds, once you are beyond a certain point and you have a chance to win, you should go all the way to the end.

Sorry for the lack of correct lingo. I'm new here:)

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Total posts
people are. but you shouldnt be necessarily.

TheRifle

TheRifle

Total posts
"I guess with pot odds, once you are beyond a certain point and you have a chance to win, you should go all the way to the end. "

This for me is one of the key differences between NL and holdem. I always look to play any drawing hands in any unraised pot in holdem. Mostly, I will do this from any position unless I know that behind me there is a serial raiser. Not only can you potentially make a lot of money doing this but you also feel like the king of the world when the hands come off. This differs from NL where I find good players know that you are drawing and might put you all-in after the turn.

C

CyberSorcerer

Total posts
It all depends on how experienced you are. If you are a beginner then the looser the game the tighter you should play. Only loosen up when you know your opponent and the kind of hands in plays in certain situations. I always like to say make sure you are betting on a sure thing, or something pretty close to it.

Stick with the percentages and you cant go wrong, IMHO:joyman:

CyberSorcerer