Just a Reminder: Fundamentals are what makes you a winning player.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I was playing some 7 card stud, and I had a huge downswing. I lost 40 big bets in the course of about 2 hours, which is a big downswing for a limit game. And after that session (after I blew off the massive tilt), I noticed I made some fundamental mistakes after analyzing my session that could have saved me some money. And money saved at the poker table spends just as well as money that you won at the poker table.

So I just wanted to jump in here and remind everyone that while advanced concepts like "thinking on the 4th level", and calculating your effective M level are useful, what really brings home the bacon is the fundamental strategies that we all should be following. In my stud session, I made a few fancy plays that earned me a bet or two. But what really caused me to lose money was fundamental errors. I played too many hands. I chased flush draws when I didn't have odds. I went on tilt and didn't stop playing.

I spend a lot of time analyzing hands, and I like to think that I'm often good at figuring out what the right move is when I'm away from the table. But all the skill & intelligence in the world won't help you if you fail to exercise discipline.

So in conclusion, I'd like to leave you guys with a quote from Roy West:
Roy West said:
From a Card Player Magazine article

John Wooden, who taught and coached basketball at UCLA for 27 seasons and won a record 10 national championships. When his players came to daily practice, what was stressed? Fundamentals - solid, basic fundamentals. Sure, they had some fancy plays, but day in and day out, solid, basic fundamentals were emphasized. It's the same with poker. Day in and day out, solid, fundamental poker wins. Sure, it's nice to have some moves and some plays, but they aren't what will send you to the cashier's cage on the way home instead of directly out the door. Solid poker every session is what gets the money.
So next time you're at a table, and you feel inclined to raise a weak limper from the cut off with 27os because you have a sick read that he'll fold.... stop. Think. While it may be more exciting to try and make that adrenaline pumping move, it can also end up costing you a lot of money.

So until next time, manage your bankrolls, fold your marginal hands UTG, and save your fancy plays for when you're really sure its a good decision. Because fundamental poker is what makes you a winning player.