Is it worth leaving the table to protect what you have already won?

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always leave because my br is small. If I had the br the right amount I would definitely stay.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion and experience, when you win and leave a table, don't go back that day. I have always lost some or even all of my winnings when going back to play. It's really smart to leave the table, so when you do that and still want to play, why not play a MTT? GL to you

christopherlouorlina

christopherlouorlina

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
better to have a quitting plan..
Once I sat on a table I always continue playing when I'm winning, and if one instance that a reasonable chunk of my stack is lost I begin to re.assist the situation.
I only ask myself one question, "Is it still profitable to risk some of my chips and win more in the situation?" If yes,then I continue. If no, then I quit.
It is not easy at first to recognize if it is time to quit or not, but as you play more and more..you will find it natural if it is already quitting time or not.

Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do that always. Better to keep what you have already earned and take another risk with smaller amount.

D

Dingospo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do that. It is the best way to really earn something in poker.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Probably need more information to give a definitive answer. But as most tables right prevent you from leaving and coming back with a new stack it's a good idea to consider a couple of things.
I would look to consider how the table is. Are there soft spots that are +ev? Are there good players playing as deep as us that can stack our profits? Am I playing well and feeling fresh?
Have stronger players entered with position on us?

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guys, I have a question ... when you're playing NL200 for example, you enter the table with 100 big blinds.
Then you fold and start having 200bb. The question is:

Should I leave the table when I reach an X gain and return to another table with 100bb's or should I continue, even if I make 1,000bb at the table? What do you recommend me?

When asking questions like these you'd better take 2NL as an example because the question actually indicates 200NL is lightyears away.

When to leave a table when winning:

- after been lucky while the other players (or most of them) are actually better than you are.

-when getting tired, losing focus, losing concentration aka not being able to play your A-game anymore.

-when the big stack you have gets you being overconfident transforming you into a spewtard.

-in case of other obligations or if you play with a fixed time-limit.

-in case external factors come to distract you.....for example kids coming home from school etc.

Though, no matter winning or losing.....never ever leave a table where you have an edge over the other players, just to secure some winnings, while jumping to another table could lead to being at a table with much better players.

O

oMONSTERo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me there comes a time when my stack gets. big enough and my demeanor changes. I start trying to not lose what I have won and hence I stop playing good poker. At this point I know I need to cash out or i risk losing it all. If I'm just killing it and feel confident and still playing my game, not worrying about my chips I stay longer.
Hope this helps

Rounder_740

Rounder_740

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to have a set amount in mind before I start. If I reach this threshold, I'm cashing out and waiting to join another table. The number could change based on the table feel too. If you think you have a decent read on the table and chance to double then stay but if it's a tougher table stay with your threshold

M

mycashier

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
leave and find another table if the table is getting too aggressive or you never see the flop because of all the raises. best to find other tables

psyho26

psyho26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play strategy of short stacks Yes

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play as you want , but if you decided to leave the table , then leave the table. I think a lot of players will do the same as you in this situation.
But is better to have a session like 3-4 hours everyday , and when you played these hours is better to leave , even if you are in a minus or in plus.
Thanks

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I agree with what Aces2w1n said , , very important to leave when you feel tired , tilted or that you cannot play anymore your A game . I have made a lot mistakes on this section :(

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly do that when playing Zoom or Cash game. I find it is inevitable that you will get that one bad beat that takes away all that you have worked for. My rule is to leave when i double what i started with and then start over. If you are successful in doing this a couple of times it gives you a bit of a cushion.

S

Sebas1006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I often leave the table when my stack has doubled but it always depends on what kind of players you are playing with. Sometimes It's better to stay if you know you can get more money out of them.