Is it worth leaving the table to protect what you have already won?

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a good idea to set yourself a target both of wins & loss once that target has been achieved then may be move to another table and start again

chisel

chisel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that it's normally. if you don't want to risk your winnings) but somebody don't re-seat, because want win more money, but and risk is more)

K

kerus1991

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would prefer to have at a table of money not less than at the opponent that as required to take away them from him

PKPurple

PKPurple

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the table if there are many fish and whales I see no reason to leave I hardly double

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play to the point where you think you are playing good but that amount of money generally makes me play a bit loose and then i start to lose chips and for me that's when i know i should leave!

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
While it may not technically be rat holing, a lot of players do consider it to be just that. And even though most sites have measures, such as time restrictions, in place to prevent actual, blatant, rat holing, many players still frown upon it. And still, a lot of players do it. The way I look at it is, if it is within the rules of the site, who am I to question it?

My argument against it is that it takes time to learn and get used to a table, not just the players, but the whole dynamic of the table. Sometimes certain factors, such as your position at the table in relation to a particular player or players, can make all the difference in your winning or losing. If you've had success at a table, why would you want to leave a favorable dynamic for what could potentially be an unfavorable one? At the very least, it will take some time for you to learn the dynamic of a new table.

I won't say that I've never left a table to protect my winnings. But when I do, I'll usually take a break for a few hours. In fact, if my intention is to continue playing, what I'm more likely to do is to take my winnings to a higher stakes table. For instance I might take $150 off of a $50NL table and buy-in for $150 at a $200NL table.

Last edited:
G

gosunoob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it completely depends on the table and the action.

If it is a good table that I feel I can extract more money from, there is absolutely no reason to leave.

However if I ended up at 200bb because of a couple lucky hands or suck outs, I would consider leaving.

If you find yourself the fish at the table after a while and have booked a profit.... run.

P

ParagonPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends. Can be good to boss with a bigstack and maximize profit.

vitja0101

vitja0101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have played more but only a very tight

Sonny87

Sonny87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definently, but it also depends on how your running and the game its self.

R

ruadonky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No. The game won't play themselves. You can only go higher in ranking. Sit out and you will go up in rank until you exhaust the winnings.

AceSticker

AceSticker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree I try to get a good chip stack in tournaments and I set out a few hands so I wont be tempted to play.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice i seen in this thread is.

Never leave the table if your winning, feeling great, running well.. its times like this we need to be playing more.

When to leave
You feel like your not playing well, Tired, Tilted, Also if your starting to run bad. Dont chase your losses either because your more likely to play your C game and make it back much slower

so yeah long hours and never quit when ur going well. Think leaving the table is taking a paycut.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to leave the table when it stops been profitavle for you in the long run, or when you are tired and you don't play 100%

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally get wanting to leave the table when you are up - the fear of losing it all can be great. I try not to let that guide how I play, however. Like many of the other folks have said, you need to make your decision on how you're running at the time and if you believe there is still profit to be made from the table. That being said, I generally go by a set time period more than anything because looking at my long-term data, I have seen that if I play longer than X amount of time, my losses far outweigh my wins. If you keep stats, which you should, it could be worth a look.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is okin cash game I won a lot of money and than I stay to play and lost....

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dependant on YOU

Totally depends on you in the cash games, if all the variables are going in your favour then stay seated. If you're any more than 150BB deep then it doesn't have as much an effect as 75BB-125BB range. Depends how aggressive you are with draws too, you don't really be wanting to get 150BB in on draws with someone who can wipe out your total stack.
As a rule of thumb, look at how you're playing vs how the table is playing. If you feel more comfortable with a bigger stack size then play the big stack, if not then hop out and drop back down to the 75BB-100BB range.
Make as much as yo can work to your advantage.
GL on the felt

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is good to retire if you have already won double your entry, micjos players tend to lose what they have won by not looking at their game limits

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you will never be winning player if you are afraid.
So dont run because you are scared to loose money. In such case dont sit to table at all.

Reasonable reasons to run:
- you realized you dont have edge over people at table. Like good and aggresive player on you left.
- your strategy is not so good with such deep stack.

Anyway, only lower stack counts - effective stack. And if you are beating that table, you should be ok even with big stack.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave the table when it ceases to be profitable. That's well put. It seems a little simple, but it is really good advice and does make a lot of sense. I've noticed that sometimes, once you reach three hundred or so big blinds other players will nit up and stop giving you action. At this point it's probably best to move on.

I

illind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's like sitting out when your close to cashing. You shouldn't do it. It will make your tendencies more likely to get scared and you could be missing out on extra cash for the final table.

KKCRIS333

KKCRIS333

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys, I have a question ... when you're playing NL200 for example, you enter the table with 100 big blinds.
Then you fold and start having 200bb. The question is:

Should I leave the table when I reach an X gain and return to another table with 100bb's or should I continue, even if I make 1,000bb at the table? What do you recommend me?

It is worthwhile to continue at the table with caution and try to take more, because your image at the table will be strengthened and will easily take the bb with tranquility. In its place I would enter another table and continue for another 10 mins at the same table to see the What would happen.

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't feel comfortable yea why not.

Sergiy777

Sergiy777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Leave The Table And Run, As Far As You Can Without A Passport! :D