Is it possible to win at poker if you are unlucky

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you headsup and beat by flush its unlucky because the precentage of ur opponent have flush is not too big you go gamble with ur nut straight hope opponent bluff. but if you play KJo against 7 player prefloop and floop comes with flush draw against 3 player thats nightmare for sure. when Ac comes on the river you should fold against that 3 player becouse u face with 2 possiblity full house or flush. but im understand thats ego issue that happen to most poker player including me. so keep fighting mate. GL for next

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just lost a 1200 dollar pot in a 1 2 game I raised preflop to 12 with 7 callers . bet 20 on the flop wit 3 callers and the 4th goes all in for 300. 4 callers all in on the flop qc 10c 5d I have KJ off next to me has Jc9c next has 5c4c last has pocket 10s I say give me the ace of dia and it hits I made nut straight on the turn with ace of diamonds. A player says I folded A5 of hearts and the ace of clubs hits the river. He had 7 outs and the 2 flush draws had 6 outs I had 27 cards that held up my nut straight and I go from first to last with the case ace.

It sure is easier to win if you’re lucky!!!

grogrich

grogrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet 50 to name my price and see where Im at I dont want to bet the pot or half pot at that point and I dont want to check it would be week and someone may bet more. I feel if big blind had not hit a set. I would have seen the turn for 20 bucks and made the nut straight only to get unlucky on the river with the ace of clubs to one or both of the flush draws or to someone that hit 2 pair with like ace 10. I just got unlucky. Im so unlucky for the last 3 week I have flopped 11 sets and only won 3 .If im a 80% fav and get it all in. I loose more than I win

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet 20 to name my price and see where Im at I dont want to bet the pot or half pot at that point and I dont want to check it would be week and someone may bet more. I feel if big blind had not hit a set. I would have seen the turn for 20 bucks and made the nut straight only to get unlucky on the river with the ace of clubs to one or both of the flush draws or to someone that hit 2 pair with like ace 10. I just got unlucky. Im so unlucky for the last 3 week I have flopped 11 sets and only won 3 .If im a 80% fav and get it all in. I loose more than I win

KJo UTG was a breathtakingly bad open.

What was the purpose of your bet on the flop? To make sure you got zero information and zero fold equity at the same time, with the intention to call a shove?

If you are going to go with it, the right play is to shove YOURSELF and not get called by a guy with bottom pair.

Sorry my friend, you could not have played this hand more poorly. You are not unlucky, you are unskilled. You are the player everyone here DREAMS to be at a table with because you are punting off stacks of money when you are BEHIND, and you don't seem to want to accept the advice of some of the PROFITABLE players offering it to you.

In addition, when you butcher the spelling of 4-letter words, it triggers me.

Also I think you mentioned implied odds in one of your responses. The implied odds here are that when you call off a shove on your 4-out draw, you are only getting it in against 2pair+ type hands. 2 Pairs, sets, and flush draws, ALL have more equity than you do to improve.

You considered that you "might" have 8 outs for your open ender. Now consider that 2 of those cards are dead because they bring in the flush.

A hand like Q-10 has your king-high dominated, and has 6 outs to a redraw to beat you IF you hit your draw.

All sets have around 35% to improve to full houses IF you hit your draw.

That is all not considering combo draws, which have MORE equity against you.

Lets not forget, you called off your stack with king high. Of all of the players in this hand, you called off your stack with the WORST POSSIBLE HOLDING.

Sorry friend, going to be brutal here because you need to understand how badly you played this to improve.

I

IceQueenAce

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even think there is luck in poker.

Luck is what bad players call variance. And that will even out over millions of hands. It is bigger swings the less you play.

The only time I will entertain luck, is WHEN variance occurs...
...for instance losing with AA 1 time and it being heads up in the final of a big mtt is different to losing with AA 1 time in a small cash pot.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that was a big call on a draw though, I feel your pain I feel like I'm one of the unluckyest players . i lose alot being far ahead. i feel like I defy the odds not in my favor lol

filipks665

filipks665

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a very small factor in poker, but still there is some lucky rivers. Just keep your cool and play like it never happend

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG ?? opening KJo with a table that everyone calls?? I do not like that, Then did you say you led into the whole table with a $ 20 bet?? The pot was $87 approx??? I do not like that , 3 callers and a shove?? And you say you are happy with your call?? I disagree.

Just my opinion but I do not think the hand was played well, so if you are just "chalking" that up to bad luck, I think it is going to be difficult to ever improve your game. You have to be able to look at your play and realistically see what you should have done differently. I really think the very good players on this site will be able to break this down and show you that this was not unlucky.
i agree with you and I like how you just broke that down the way you did rather than just saying bad call or bad play.

you put that perfectly to understand and grab the knowledge of how that had was played and the mistakes or the dislikes of the choices.
u should do poker blogging really. nicely put

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary in poker, even if you are not lucky with the card to wait a moment to play without patience, you will not win.

N

Neol0107

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think so, in poker apart from your strategies, good game you also need a bit of Lucky

J

jaybee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a 1200 dollar pot and I had to call 168 more It was totally the right call I hit the nuts straight on the turn and had to dodge dodge 7 spades and 7 cards to pair the board one person said he folded an ace so going to the river I 27 cards to win and 14 cards to dodge I was a 58 % fav
To answer your initial question, Well in poker over long run, there's no luck. If you talk about one single hand, if you get unlucky in that hand there's no way you can win. (Unless you hit the absolute nuts and have your opponents drawing dead.)

Most of the times your opponent is gonna have some equity and if you are unlucky, he will hit his 2-outer on river and you can do nothing about it.

However over a hundred thousand hands or more, the luck factor will become negligible if you play the right strategy.

About this particular hand. You just got yourself screwed. You were not unlucky but actually lucky when you hit the nut straight on turn when you got it in on flop with the least equity. On the river the luck just evened out. It was just a river justice. Live 1/2 games are generally this loose and passive and a hand should not be played like this in such an environment. Period.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree with you and I like how you just broke that down the way you did rather than just saying bad call or bad play.

you put that perfectly to understand and grab the knowledge of how that had was played and the mistakes or the dislikes of the choices.
u should do poker blogging really. nicely put

Supernuts 25, Thanks for the kind words, I watch all the Poker players who are better than I am and try to learn from them. Andrew Neeme, Brad Owen and more. These guys have the ability to make sense of "cash" game poker.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can you win without luck when your best hand in poker AA have 4:1 chance to win in a hand? there are no cards that you can get to be 100% winning in that hand.

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer the post question, yes. Take a look at Parker Talbot, the guy is literally NEVER lucky EVER, yet has been a pro for several years now. Run bad cant last forever, unless your Parker.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cant advise playing cash games, i advise playing sit and go tournaments if your point is to accumulate money, and if the point is to have fun and earn money practice playing mtt tournaments with cheap buy-in, cash game can be a nightmare if you are looking for quick money