Is it more provitable to 4bet with AA vs 1 Villain ?

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello guys,
I know that it depends on the player profile/stats and position at the table... but in general, when you open the pot and you do get 3-bet by 1 villain, is it more profitable to throw a 4bet or to just call and keep all his 3bet bluff+value range ?

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hello guys,
I know that it depends on the player profile/stats and position at the table... but in general, when you open the pot and you do get 3-bet by 1 villain, is it more profitable to throw a 4bet or to just call and keep all his 3bet bluff+value range ?
I prefer playing AA against very loose player aggressive so I would often make a 4 bet, sometimes it ends in 5 bet/6 bet then they fold or either push alliin and I'm fine with that
That's just my experience but playing it more passively often ends in a bad beat when the villain turns or rivers 2 pair or some other nonsense so I rather settle for maybe a smaller pot than risking the villain getting there

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi, it is hardly possible to find an exact answer to this question, there are many factors, but it is more logical to make a 4 bet raise, of course he can reset, but this does not guarantee that your bluff will work, and do not forget that the opponent has 20% to win

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think if you do this, you'll already show your hand and he'll be able to throw it away if he's not stupid, so you just call and then let him bluff and collect chips

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello guys,
I think it’s better to mix our strategy, sometimes we call and sometimes we 4-bet. One of the criteria I use to put up a 4-bet is both my stack sizing as villain’s stack sizing, e.g, Hero has 102 BB and Villain 79 BB, after it 3-bets, so I will 4-bet 99% of times using a polarized sizing (2.8x to 3.5x) to force the short stack to go all-in preflop ASAP.
Another example, Hero has 150 BB and Villain 110 BB, I’m 4-betting 99% of times too.
I’ll will also play more GTO if Villain tends to be a regular or not, i.e, I’ll 4-bet AA and the respective bluffs that goes with it, A3s-A5s (same amount of combos of AA).
Now if Hero has 100 BB and Villain 100 BB, I’ll call 3-bets more than 4-betting, in position. OOP I’ll 4-bet more as well.
Many times is more profitable to call more 3-bets with AA and 4-bet more often the suited baby aces, if we do own a solid tight image, cause villain isn’t expecting us to call 3-bet preflop with AA.
Sometimes I wouldn’t even 3-bet AA preflop, just call the raise preflop and wait for Villain to hang itself. When I’m seating in the BB and SB folds, and it comes a polarized preflop raising, specially.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
after such a 3bet, you need to see if there are folded equity, if there is a bubble, then I think launching the right decision will be
We are talking cash game, not mtt.

Niveau1

Niveau1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I always 4-bet in micro-stack cash games. There are so many recreational players out there that 90% of the time you'll get a call or an all-in move from the villain.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Playing with 4-bets can be tricky, especially if you are an inexperienced player. 4-bets are mostly used pre-flop. In some preflop situations, there will be a lot of so-called dead money in the pot that we can pick up by 4-betting. For example, when several players are already involved in the hand preflop, and you think that the 3-bettor is a weak player who will often fold.If by 4-betting we force our opponent to refuse to continue, then we are preventing our opponent from realizing the equity of his hand. In other words, a successful 4-bet gives our hand 100% equity and leaves our opponent with 0% equity.Our hands will have the highest preflop equity when we are 1v1 in the pot with our opponent. For example, AA will only win ~25% of situations in a 6-man pot, but will win ~80% of situations when they are up against only one range.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've played few tournaments yet, consequently few pairs of AA, I have the impression that most of the time I 3 bet the guys run away, but I believe that the right thing is always 3 bet and even 4 bet, after all we have the best hand pre flop, I believe in small changes in very specific scenarios.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
still depends on the stacks, but I think we should play 4-bet, all the same we widen our range a little

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you're holding aces, I think it can be profitable to answer with a 4bet, because he will defend his 3bet. So holding aces it can be more profitable.

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you have AA you can just call or go 5-bet to see if he goes all-in. And if you feel hes going to call your all-in and can go for it.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the villain 3 bets a tight range and seldom folds, then it makes sense to 4 bet.

If the villain 3 bets wide, AA can be a call from late position (CO/BTN). It also helps protect 3 bet calling range.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why would you just call a reraise with AA ?

if i raise preflop with AA and face a reraise then i will rereraise of course .

maybe i misunderstood the quetion ?

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Look brother.
The issue of playing Aces ens mainly for me to end up heads up.
Depending on the position you are in, the situation may vary.
It also varies according to the style of play of the opponents.
But for example, if the villain opens 3 bets in UTG and you are in CO it is convenient to raise 4 bets, because you will not want to make a call and have SB or BB look at the flop.
You must also go to a reality. AA usually ends in showdown seen by the villain and you.
If you want to hide your Aces and wait for Villain's bet, you should consider that the almost safe alternative is to call until the end of the showdown.
For me it also depends on your stack and the villain's.
As a friend explained, if my stack is 170 BB and the villain's is 100 BB, it's all in yours most of the time. If you get a badbeat the MTT follows.
If you try to raise 4 bet and villain raise 5 bet, your next move is all in and let him think.
My regards, brother:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me if you hold aces you want to get as much money in the pot as possible, so raise, reraise shove - simple.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
the original question doesnt mention stack sizes, position , etc so its really hard to answer technically .i would almost always 4 bet, especially if there was a chance other opponents might enter the pot .big pocket pairs do best in head up situations .

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With AA, I don't play anymore, out of ten hands I always end up losing nine, so I continue with my crazy all-in preflop

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
why would you just call a reraise with AA ?

if i raise preflop with AA and face a reraise then i will rereraise of course .

maybe i misunderstood the quetion ?

You just call to:
keep all the 3betting range of villain in play, (bluff+value).
protect your 3bet calling range.
be imprevisible.
induce some bluffs.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
imho, in cash games it's always profitable to 4bet AA, especially OOP. In tournaments it depends on the stack sizes. Often you have such a small stacks that you can easily get all the money in postflop, so you don't really need to 4bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general the best strategy with AA is definitely to continue to reraise, until all the chips / money is in the middle, or the opponent has folded. Even if they fold, its not pointless to reraise, because you deny their equity. Any reasonable 3-betting hand has around 18% equity against AA except for AX, which of course you block, so its less likely, people have it. And if they do in fact have a hand like AK, you are more likely to get action from them preflop, than you are postflop, because you block 2 of their outs, so most of the time they will miss the board.

The only exceptions, where it might be a better general strategy to just call with AA preflop, is with either very short or very deep stacks. In tournament play if you defend your big blind with a 10 BB stack, just calling with AA can be a fine play, and it protects weaker parts of your calling range. And for the same reason you can also just call a 3-bet, if you have around a 30BB stack instead of 4-bet jamming. This allow an aggressive opponent to continue bluffing and a more passive opponent to catch up to a second best pair or a draw, which can pay you off.

The other exception is with very deep stacks, as we sometimes see in live cash games. If you are sitting with 500 BB effective, its very difficult to construct a balanced range for 5-betting or 6-betting. So when facing a 4-bet or 5-bet, you might decide to just call with your entire range including AA. But typically that is not against a 3-bet. You can still have a balanced 4-betting range, and when deep you typically want to 4-bet to a larger sizing to cut down on peoples implied odds and give yourself fold equity.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
In general the best strategy with AA is definitely to continue to reraise, until all the chips / money is in the middle, or the opponent has folded. Even if they fold, its not pointless to reraise, because you deny their equity. Any reasonable 3-betting hand has around 18% equity against AA except for AX, which of course you block, so its less likely, people have it. And if they do in fact have a hand like AK, you are more likely to get action from them preflop, than you are postflop, because you block 2 of their outs, so most of the time they will miss the board.

The only exceptions, where it might be a better general strategy to just call with AA preflop, is with either very short or very deep stacks. In tournament play if you defend your big blind with a 10 BB stack, just calling with AA can be a fine play, and it protects weaker parts of your calling range. And for the same reason you can also just call a 3-bet, if you have around a 30BB stack instead of 4-bet jamming. This allow an aggressive opponent to continue bluffing and a more passive opponent to catch up to a second best pair or a draw, which can pay you off.

The other exception is with very deep stacks, as we sometimes see in live cash games. If you are sitting with 500 BB effective, its very difficult to construct a balanced range for 5-betting or 6-betting. So when facing a 4-bet or 5-bet, you might decide to just call with your entire range including AA. But typically that is not against a 3-bet. You can still have a balanced 4-betting range, and when deep you typically want to 4-bet to a larger sizing to cut down on peoples implied odds and give yourself fold equity.

Thanks a lot for your post. it's always a pleasure to read you.