I think I am a fish

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a huge cash game whale. Too used to MTTs and have a really hard time handling LAGs/Maniacs. But I am learning, reading other member hand analysis and posting my own for their 2 cents.

If you believe you're a fish and are depressed about it then you should take time off from the game and get back into it when you feel better. A break from poker really helps your game because you're free from a lot of negative emotions.

However, if you're intent on doubling down and improving then use all the resources the forum offers and proactively analyse your mindset and hands after your sessions. Analyse your previous games and find instances where you're going wrong. Perhaps you're chasing your draws too much and calling with too many speculative hands. Aim for breakeven at first perhaps but focus on increments of change.

PS - You have a huge potential to improve if you have the love and the passion for the game. Atleast this is what I keep telling myself ;)

TrpeLoco

TrpeLoco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a fish I have zero dollars in my account:confused::confused::confused:

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you play enough, no matter what level of player you are, there comes a time when you run into streaks of 'bad cards'. Luck even sides with bad players sometimes and this may allow them to look like good players but will soon pass. If you play smart you can't be a fish.

Awrpze

Awrpze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact you're self-aware enough to be contemplating if you're a fish or not, means you're probably not a fish. If you're willing to learn and persevere through your downswings, you'll eventually turn it around.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In order to understand whether you are a fish or not)

In order to understand whether you are a fish or not), it is necessary to see how you play, on which card you enter the game and which one you throw into the pass. The fact that you had the first month plus and then a minus, this is not an indicator, the main style of your game. Fish also have a plus, but this plus is not stable and short-lived. If you read a lot of poker literature and watch poker videos, then most likely you are on the right track, and will soon start playing stably in plus.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I have been playing .02/.04 Texas holdem for about three months and I am really struggling. The first month I was able to turn my $20 deposit into $96 which I now credit to dumb luck. Currently I am down to $10. I love the game and constantly think about it as well as read articles and watch strategy videos when I am not playing. Do you think I just haven't played enough hands or is it possible that I just don't have what it takes to be successful in the game I love so much?

Hello ! You should stop bluffing so much! Start playing tight as before. You're not a fish, and you start playing like a fish!:eek::wavey:

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too harsh

I think you are being too harsh on yourself. Seems you are just starting out in the game so way too early to go over judging your skill level.

Many players swim as a fish then jump out of the pool and re-enter as a shark.

Other players never change.

Good luck at the tables!

nobodysf00l

nobodysf00l

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stay tuned for further confessions of a closet guppy...lmao

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for a while now and I'm still learning the game. Lately I've been loose and losing alot. My advice is to play solid and play your hot streaks when they come. Also play select hands Suited aces, high pairs, suited connectors (high ones though), and see the flop turn and river for cheap and play for a big pot at the end if you have the best hand. It's a tough game but you can have success in it. Good luck !

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe you need to learn the game better but from my brief online experience, you can't beat stupid which is micros! Move up in stakes say 1/2 nl deposit more around 500 dollars play tight buy-in for 100 each time and play top 10 hands in position gamble a little on nut flush draws and have fun when your hot, Who knows you might turn that 500 hundred in to 1000 if your lucky or if you play good go from 500 to 275 then back to 525 so then lower the stakes to 50 c and a dollar and keep grinding it's a battle.

Stop giving REALLY BAD Advise Please!

Honestly this is terrible advice. OP is a new player and if he is unable to consistently beat the micros he is not going to be able to beat higher stakes online. My guess is that you aren't able to either. (just from the brief statements you made in your post I have no doubt that 5nl regs. would crush you)

OP, it takes time and Yes you could've very easily just been lucky when you first ran that $20 up to almost $100. My advice to you.. "FORGET ABOUT THE MONEY"... just focus instead on making the best decisions you can in each & every spot.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I that low a level it is all about patience. NEVER bluff, you are basically looking to get a good hand and get paid. play on Friday and Saturdays when all the fish come out. play tight, play multiple tables and just value bet without bluffing.

you will win...

A

Alexuz777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have problems with the cashe game. But I think that even a "fish" can work out its strategy, so that the fisherman lost all his bait (bankroll).

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A trout is a fish, a barracuda is a fish and even a shark is a fish. what kind of fish are you? I had that feeling as well, when I started to study poker at the beginning. I won more before and sure I had more fun. You are playing more and more focused, trying new things and expecting the theory to come true. Learning to lose and accepting downswings is one of the most important things to learn. We all have been there...done that...

B

BetterNot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try not to overthink every hand you play. Stats are a good way to maintain a controlled play style but when you overthink your hands you're going to lose yourself in all of it. Especially when playing 02/04 where your opponents wont use these strategys and often just get lucky.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
when I first started with pokerstars I did quite well, won a couple of big tournaments and got a star beside
my name. Lately I have not gone to far in tournaments,
I think I got to aggressive and made to many bad calls.
Need to rethink my style of play.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This here is a fish

great-white-shark_thumb.ngsversion.1498144115857.adapt.1900.1.jpg

melodyman169

melodyman169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
watch poker videos, poker streams, read any articles about cash games. It should help

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One way you can get better at poker is to post some hands in the cash game hand analysis thread. When I first started playing, I would post hands and ask questions. I would comment on hands and get involved with hand discussion to see where you can improve.