Did I make the wrong move here?

NuRelic

NuRelic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing with some friends in a home game and I have half the chips on the table resting nicely in my stack (approximately $5,500). It's a friendly game, but I'm trying hard to keep mental notes on everybody's play and there's no question that I've been playing tight as usual with this group(because its a fairly loose group). There are seven players left in the single table tourney and I'm dealt Ad, Ac UTG. I decide to change gears and throw out just a standard 3xBB raise of $30 and everyone calls except the big blind, making it a $190 pot. It was probably a poor play being UTG with Bullets looking at a loose table, but I was hoping that somone would re-raise me.. The problem was that I think my tight image and chip stack stagnated anyone from challenging me.

So anyway, the flop comes:
Qh, Qs, 3h

I quickly throw out a feeler bet that is a little more than half the pot ($100) in order to represent the set and/or to get some information.

Player 1 - to my left (a notorious bluffer), stares at me for a minute then goes all in with about $1,100.

Player 2 - (a really good change-up player, who I haven't been able to get a read on all night but I know is a chaser from previous tourneys) calls with his remaining ($900) almost immediately.

Player 3 - (a relatively tight player) takes a quick look at his chips and calls in less than 15 seconds after the bet comes to him. He's got the second highest chip stack.

The next two players fold and it comes back to me for $1000 (minus the $100 I?ve already put in) and of course there are two pots: pot size one is capped at $2,990 and pot size two stands at $400. I ask for a chip count on Player 3 and he tells me he has about $1,200 left after his call. So with that I'm in a real pinch. It's only $1000 to call and I try to assess my situation.

I'm thinking I might have Player 1 beat by putting him on at least a semi-bluff with a low wired pair but I can't be sure.

Although I haven't been able to get an update on my previous read of Player 2 all night, I thought I could put him on the flush draw based on my previous experience against him.

My problem is Player 3. I put him on trip Queens and think that he's trying to suck me in to maximize his profits. I go deep into the tank and try to rationalize it out. I figured my odds of out drawing him (if he did have the trip Queens) were at about 8% and although I would have gotten better than three to one on my money, I would have to act before Player 3 and I figured it might have ended up costing me more on the Turn and River. I ended up throwing my Aces away after an agonizing four to five minutes.

Player 1 - 9s, 9c
Player 2 - Kh, Th
Player 3 - 8d, 8c

The turn - 7c
The river - 2d

Player 1 takes it with his pocket 9's. By the end of the tourney I pull out third place and Player 1 goes on to win it all. Was I completely wrong to muck my aces or can I take some satisfaction in knowing that it was probably the right thing to do?

Thanks,
NuRelic

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Way to many callers for AA's, if the table is that loose you should be raising 4-6xbb if that is what is takes to get down to one maybe two callers. With that kind of action I don't blame you for laying down the bullets, I don't know if I do or not. Next time don't post results and you can get better answers, the results can sway our opinions.

S

snrcreech

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think it was a very good lay down even though you would have won. With that flop and that many people in the hand 99 out of 100 times your beat. But wow sometimes you wish just for a moment that you would have been on tilt or something to make you make that call lol

NuRelic

NuRelic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way to many callers for AA's, if the table is that loose you should be raising 4-6xbb if that is what is takes to get down to one maybe two callers.

Agreed, however the table was just as Aggro as it was loose. Like I mentioned, I made my PFR relatively low because I was reasonably sure I'd get raised. Unfortunately it backfired on me when I got a table full of callers (hinesight is always 20/20), so what to do when the Board came out like it did?

With that kind of action I don't blame you for laying down the bullets, I don't know if I do or not. Next time don't post results and you can get better answers, the results can sway our opinions.

Normally, I wouldn't post the results but I wanted to see the reaction here with the full history to gage it against the reaction I got after making the laydown and showing it. The entire table was unanimous in their disapproval, saying that I should have made the call. At the time I held strong to my belief that I made a good choise to Muck the Aces, but now I'm wondering if maybe I had descent odds to call it down. My problem is with, as I stated, was Player 3 and the thought that he had one of the two remaining Queens.

I dunno, I keep going back and forth on this one.

NuRelic

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Muck or Call on this Hand I think is going to come down to your reads on this table. With a pair on board and three callers I think it is too likely for someone to have hit a set without a reason to believe they are crazy enough to shove with low pocket pairs and the likely hood that someone sucks out can't be ignored. Don't let the results of his hand throw you so much.

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've got to fold here. So much action 9 times out of 10 means someone caught trips. I'd fold it every time (but I would never show them what I am throwing away).

NuRelic

NuRelic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold it every time (but I would never show them what I am throwing away).

Only showed because (1) this a group of friends and (2) I really thought I was beat and making a good lay-down.

NuRelic

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends?!? These people are out to take your $$! Screw 'em. It was a good fold but they don't need to know your willing to lay down AA in this spot. They'll be trying crap like this all the time.

Reefdiver

Reefdiver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Way to many callers for AA's, if the table is that loose you should be raising 4-6xbb if that is what is takes to get down to one maybe two callers. With that kind of action I don't blame you for laying down the bullets, I don't know if I do or not. Next time don't post results and you can get better answers, the results can sway our opinions.

Even with the results shown it wouldn't sway my decision here. With that many callers in that pot and with that flop I would throw away bullets every time. The results may show that you made the wrong decision in this case but overall with your reads I would say you made the right decision.

merenoise

merenoise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not an easy laydown but correct. Most of the time your pretty starting hand will just be a whole in your wallet when the action comes that way on the flop with the two Queens. If it had come 3h 3c Qs that would be a different story but many of the hands loose players play contain queens.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a tournament? If not that's a lot of money for a "friendly" game.

trentonlf

trentonlf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
. By the end of the tourney I pull out third place and Player 1 goes on to win it all. Was I completely wrong to muck my aces or can I take some satisfaction in knowing that it was probably the right thing to do?

Thanks,
NuRelic

g/l