How to win at home games?

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a dumb statement right there. If that's your point, then why not fold all of your made hands when your friend is betting into you? Because if he has a good, worse hand than yours, he won't be happy, and God forbid you irritate anyone... Why shoot a 3 playing BB one on one vs a friend, why go for the 2 point conversion when playing a friend in Madden, why(whatever other analogy you want)? Because you are looking to win!!! I don't play poker for money to evenly go around the table and go home with the exact same amount at the end of the night as I came with, if I wanted that, I would have our home game be Go Fish or Shoots and Ladders.

Damn straight

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to keep this topic going, what about a home game that is more mixed. Say a few leaky fishy type players and a LAG player(with knowledge of the game). Keeping the structure the same, what are your strategies for combating this type of table dynamic. The fish at the table range from clueless to capable of making lay downs and keeping what they might consider a range even though its still very very wide. The LAG likes to raise a very very wide range of hands which makes putting him on a defined range tough. With the terrible short stack setup it makes it tough to combat these table dynamics without flopping a big hand.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to keep this topic going, what about a home game that is more mixed. Say a few leaky fishy type players and a LAG player(with knowledge of the game). Keeping the structure the same, what are your strategies for combating this type of table dynamic. The fish at the table range from clueless to capable of making lay downs and keeping what they might consider a range even though its still very very wide. The LAG likes to raise a very very wide range of hands which makes putting him on a defined range tough. With the terrible short stack setup it makes it tough to combat these table dynamics without flopping a big hand.

Wait for your hand, and then take all of their money.

Check-raising for an example will usually work if they love to bet.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for your hand, and then take all of their money.

Check-raising for an example will usually work if they love to bet.

I can see playing a total fish that way, as bluffing is hardly ever productive. But that seems a little passive when your home game has some fairly competent lag players. The short stack setup changes most strategies when playing against certain player types. These LAG players, i feel, are just as important to attack as the moderate fish since the lag player is going to build pots with a range that includes a lot of bluffs. So your cards are not as important. Whereas the average fish (in this case i mean a fish that draws up some range, not a complete spew) takes a hand to beat, albeit TPGK is often good enough. ok i think i am ranting a lot of nonsense by now, probably completely wrong in my thinking.....

Im just trying to stir up some other thoughts as no 2 home games are alike.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see playing a total fish that way, as bluffing is hardly ever productive. But that seems a little passive when your home game has some fairly competent lag players. The short stack setup changes most strategies when playing against certain player types. These LAG players, i feel, are just as important to attack as the moderate fish since the lag player is going to build pots with a range that includes a lot of bluffs. So your cards are not as important. Whereas the average fish (in this case i mean a fish that draws up some range, not a complete spew) takes a hand to beat, albeit TPGK is often good enough. ok i think i am ranting a lot of nonsense by now, probably completely wrong in my thinking.....

Im just trying to stir up some other thoughts as no 2 home games are alike.

Just because everyone is playing loose, doesn't mean you have to be loose. Wait for your cards, defend your blinds, and you will succeed.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because everyone is playing loose, doesn't mean you have to be loose. Wait for your cards, defend your blinds, and you will succeed.
In fact if everyone is playing loose you should play tight. Doing the opposite of the rest of the table is generally the best way to make money.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games